1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F350. Built Ford Soft

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 F350. Built Ford Soft

Just added another utility truck to help my old 2004 get some much needed rest in my lawn maintenance business. This one is just about identical to my '04 but with the new "stuff". 2013 F350 super cab. 6.2 with the 6-speed automatic. 4X4 XL with an 8' Knapheide utility bed. Basically my older truck's new brother.

Engine pulls well. But I wish the 6 speed would quit down-shifting so freaking much. Let the torque do some work for a change. My '04 5.4 got used almost always with OD turned off. It rarely ever down-shifted which makes sense because it was only using three gears. But the old motor would do very well pulling my landscape trailers in just the drive gear.

Now my biggest gripe. What a wussy truck when toting some weight. I can hook up my lawn maintenance trailer and the back drops like a rock. Its pathetic. The old truck NEVER squatted like this one does. Driving at night is terrible with everyone flashing their high-beams thinking I have mine turned on. Then of all things, I look at my door sticker and my rear axle rating is only 6220 lbs.? Really? My last F350 was an '09 and it was 6900 lbs.. Yes I should have looked at this rating before dropping the $40,000 but who really does that? I mean, you make sure its an F350 versus a 250 anyway when you buy it but it still feels like a Ranger when hauling a load.

I must say, I'm quite disappointed. My 2011 F450 sagged more than I thought it would when pulling the fifth wheel but air bags did help. But that was almost 3500 lbs. on the pin. Having a 20' open trailer with two lawn mowers is nothing close to that. This is sad.

I'm stuck with the truck. Where do I go from here? I don't think bags are a great choice because I drive this all the time and the weights change quite often. Running the compressor and draining almost every trip would get quite old. Should I have beefier springs installed? Is this even possible? The ones under there right now look like something off an F150.

If Ford continues to cater to the "comfort" crowd with their supposed heavy duty trucks, I will start looking elsewhere. I've had nothing but Fords since my new 1987 Bronco II bought in 1986. But this trend will be a deal breaker for me next time around.

Any options to beef up this truck? I'm not looking to haul a load of gravel. I just want it to act like it should for a 1 ton truck.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:31 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Sag is no indication of how "wimpy" a truck is. Once it sags some it engages the overload spring (if equipped) and holds the weight.

You can add add a leafs or bags if you want. Just because you add bags doesnt mean you have to constantly change the air pressure, especially if you dont care about catering to the "comfort crowd."

When I had my bags installed I ran them at 100psi (max) 90% of the time, even though I wouldnt tow for days or weeks at a time.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
You got the right truck; the reason for the low RAWR compared to your '09 is the 17" wheels. The wheels are rated to a max of 3,195 lbs IIRC.

I had airbags on my Excursion and really liked them. The great thing about them is that they are adjustable so you don't destroy your empty ride and handling.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Go to a spring shop and have them build you a new leaf pack.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,443 Likes on 1,032 Posts
the springs are the result of catering to be better unloaded ride. Sounds like you got the 10K door cert on the truck. Does not mean a whole lot. Axle will still do the job. Just stay within the weakest link which is going to be the tires.

Try using the manual mode.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:14 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have noticed the same problem with sagging on the current body style too. That is one of the reasons I will be holding onto my 2000.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:48 AM
got2golfmore
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sucks that you may need to put more money into this brand new truck just to get it working like the old one but as others have said, a little more money will make the 2013 a real nice hauler.

Mine 2013 has the 11,500 AVGW package and a rear ratio to go with it. The rear end minimizes some down shifting while giving up some miles/gal.

Did you know you can run your truck as a 3 speed, 4 speed or 5 speed if you want? Use the down/up shift button on the shift leaver to move down or up. This will keep the tranny from moving to higher gears just to return soon after to the lower gears.

The other thing I noticed was that the engine is so much quieter that it was easy to step on the gas when I thought the truck was struggling. An old habit from my gasser. This can cause the down shift long before its needed. My diesel pulls strong and stays around 1000 RPM most of the time.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 AM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phillips91
I have noticed the same problem with sagging on the current body style too. That is one of the reasons I will be holding onto my 2000.

It's just because ford softened up the springs in the back for a softer unloaded ride. It was because of owner complaints.

Just put set of airbags on it and be done. It's not something to have drama over.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:37 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by majkthreads
Just put set of airbags on it and be done. It's not something to have drama over.
I agree

Old 10-13-2013, 11:31 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
...Sounds like you got the 10K door cert on the truck...
First thing that crossed my mind too.

Originally Posted by lawnspecialties
...Yes I should have looked at this rating before dropping the $40,000 but who really does that? I mean, you make sure its an F350 versus a 250 anyway when you buy...
Seems to me anyone who buys a work truck would look at the rating label. I'll bet you will too next time, regardless of what brand you buy. This lesson will cost you a few bucks for springs or bags, but not a lot of money. Consider the guy who buys an F250 or F150 to pull his 15k fifthwheel, because he didn't do the homework. At least you can make your truck work for you with minimum fuss. Let's not blame Ford.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
A suggestion for you, too for beefing up your suspension are StableLoads.
Airbags are great for leveling, I have them on my 2005 F-350 for hauling a 4,000 lb. camper and towing but also use the StableLoads.
The StableLoads alone or in addition to airbags help with ride, control and also add lift. They pre-activate your factory engineered suspension putting it into play the way it should work. They are an easy install and also have the quick disconnect feature when your not hauling putting your suspension back to factory specs. They are an effective, low cost way to dramatically improve drivability, many have been used on vehicles prior to adding airbags for great results.
StableLoad - Lowest Cost, Most Effective Suspension Upgrade Available

Torklift International – Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog
Old 11-24-2013, 03:39 PM
lawnspecialties
More Turbo
Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Well, I'm bringing this one up to report my fix. Maybe this will help others with the same issue.

But first I must say to others here I don't blame Ford for me buying a wimpy truck. I should have checked the ratings but I guess most people assume: 1. a 350 would be much better than this weak rear suspension and 2. a 2013 F350 would have AT LEAST the same ratings or better than that owner's last 2009 F350.

I stick to my opinion. This truck comes with a wussy suspension for a 1 ton truck. If you disagree, that's cool. You may not use your truck as a work truck like I do.

I took the truck to FleetPride near where I live. They've done some pretty good suspension mods to our brush trucks we have with the fire department. The guys at FleetPride are first class. Super helpful and they took the time to measure and calculate so it would be right the first time they worked on it. Then last Tuesday I took it in for the appointment we set and when I picked it up that evening, it was a whole different truck. They basically added to the leaf spring pack and what they came up with is spot on. The truck does sit a little higher when unloaded but not too much. But when I hooked up my landscape trailer, it dropped one inch. That's all. It drives so much better, straighter, and safer now when towing a load. What's ironic is the ride unloaded is still very good.

In my opinion, this is how it should have been built from the factory. I've had Fords all my life since my brand new 1987 Bronco II. But if my next one requires me to do this again to make the truck suit my needs, I'll look elsewhere.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:00 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties
Well, I'm bringing this one up to report my fix. Maybe this will help others with the same issue.

But first I must say to others here I don't blame Ford for me buying a wimpy truck. I should have checked the ratings but I guess most people assume: 1. a 350 would be much better than this weak rear suspension and 2. a 2013 F350 would have AT LEAST the same ratings or better than that owner's last 2009 F350.

I stick to my opinion. This truck comes with a wussy suspension for a 1 ton truck. If you disagree, that's cool. You may not use your truck as a work truck like I do.

I took the truck to FleetPride near where I live. They've done some pretty good suspension mods to our brush trucks we have with the fire department. The guys at FleetPride are first class. Super helpful and they took the time to measure and calculate so it would be right the first time they worked on it. Then last Tuesday I took it in for the appointment we set and when I picked it up that evening, it was a whole different truck. They basically added to the leaf spring pack and what they came up with is spot on. The truck does sit a little higher when unloaded but not too much. But when I hooked up my landscape trailer, it dropped one inch. That's all. It drives so much better, straighter, and safer now when towing a load. What's ironic is the ride unloaded is still very good.

In my opinion, this is how it should have been built from the factory. I've had Fords all my life since my brand new 1987 Bronco II. But if my next one requires me to do this again to make the truck suit my needs, I'll look elsewhere.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
I agree with you.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 14 has no sag issues, I can hook up any trailer and there is just as much sag as my older trucks. I wanted the 12,500 trailer package and the plow package, I have two very thick leafs in mine and its only a 250. Its not the "wussy truck" its everyone who wants a soft ride because these trucks have become office cruisers.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:08 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,443 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Empty height and with trailer hooked up. 2" difference. That is with 3100 lbs of king pin.

Now I know the F250's are softer now and that does need to be addressed and I think they have with taller blocks in the rear now but it is a spring issue for sure.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 2013 F350. Built Ford Soft