1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Ford F1 resurrection, jag IFS LT1, EFI, T56, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM
ReggieGriffin01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also in the process of restoring a 51 Ford F1. Can't wait for the weather to get warmer so i can wheel it out of garage to work on it. I have ordered some parts for it recently. Found I have some extra pieces that I wont need though. Good luck with your project. When I get more organized I will post pics of my project. I am from Pa.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Good luck with it, put up a build thread when you get started, makes good reading.
Behind the scenes my body panels are getting close to done, front fenders and fender extensions are in primer, rear fenders are done other than adding a side fuel fill door I just dropped off today. Hood is done, decided to fill the front so no emblem on the hood or the front valence. Bed is about 75 percent done. All that work is being done by a good friend who had to have one of my cars (we swap all the time) and he is doing the work in exchange for the car. Without his help no way would I make my summer deadline, the weather has just been to harsh. Paint doesnt work well in 40 degree weather.
Moving the truck a little more towards the street rod side now, no emblems other than the side spears on the hood, and the decision has been made to whack 2" out of the top as well. With the roof chop now also going one piece side windows, vent windows are going bye bye, but saving all the parts for my other 51 F1 which I plan on looking stock with moden guts.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 PM
ReggieGriffin01
New User
i am no where near as far along as you are. I got it several years ago and it got put on the back burner. But I have gotten the urge to finish it. Hope to post some pics in the near future. I did find some extra pieces i didn't know I had and don't need them now. Just got to get organized and then get started.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 AM
Jim Egan
New User
F-1 w/ Jag Suspension

I just started reading your post this evening. I noted your comment regarding The HAMB and no Jags, I was on that site when I read your departure. I too have a F-1 (a 49) and intend to put a full Jag XJ-6 suspension in it, right now I'm working a couple of other projects. The reason for my note, I spent a lot of time surfing this site when I got my F-1 and ran across "Jeff and Nicole" who were putting a full Jag in their project; if you haven't run across them you can view at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-49-f321.html. Good luck, I'll be catching up on your project as I can. Jim

Old 03-24-2014, 06:18 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
A number of the members on the forum have put the Jag IFS in our trucks with a few doing the IRS also. IMHO the IFS is very straight forward. The IRS requires more fabrication and if you choose to not use the original Jag rear "cage" there is quite a fit more fabrication. Here is a picture of my Jag IFS installation

Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Jim Egan
New User
F-1 Project

Thanks for the info and photo. I followed that "Jeff and Nicole" site throughout and learned a lot; it seems got sent out of town for an extended period of time, therefore not much for awhile. I'm currently finishing up a complete redo of my 68 Cougar XR-7 that I bought new; getting started on a 48 Dodge COE that will be on a 77 Dodge RV cassis for a "toy hauler"; and, a 66 Porsche 911 complete redo, need to finish it up (I've had the car since 82 and I'm not in love with it) for sale and use the dollars on my other projects. I bought a 88 Mustang GT w/ 5.0HO for the drivetrain and miscellaneous for the F-1 project, the body is gone, a lot of the rest, and other stuff is going to the Portland Swap Meet in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for your info. Jim

Old 03-24-2014, 01:38 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Jim Egan
I just started reading your post this evening. I noted your comment regarding The HAMB and no Jags, I was on that site when I read your departure. I too have a F-1 (a 49) and intend to put a full Jag XJ-6 suspension in it, right now I'm working a couple of other projects. The reason for my note, I spent a lot of time surfing this site when I got my F-1 and ran across "Jeff and Nicole" who were putting a full Jag in their project; if you haven't run across them you can view at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-49-f321.html. Good luck, I'll be catching up on your project as I can. Jim
Thanks, my jag IFS install is done other than blowing it apart for rebuilding and paint once all the fabrication work is complete. I listed my measurements which may help you during in install, I am going to use them for my next F1 build as well. The jag IFS is a popular swap for the F1 since the width is right on and the crossmember seems made for the F1 rails. I also have the jag rear suspension setup but decided not to use it since I plan on using this as a truck more than a sports car, it will get put into some other project some day.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:02 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Cab work continues, rear floor patched and inner cab corner made and welded in.

Welded an 1/8" thick steel plate to the corner for the new body mount, tossing the lever action deal and going modern.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Jim Egan
New User
Thanks

Dave, thanks for your information. I did note the dimensions you offered, the work that several of you guys have done is going to be of great service to me and others that follow. I love the old stuff to look like they did when new (not stance, etc.), but to have later engineering for performance and safety - great job. Jim

Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 PM
1958 Ford F250
Senior User
Hey... That Cab work looks Great when it is all said and done with paint... it will look good

Old 03-26-2014, 01:54 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
thanks, once it is all sealed up it will stop looking like a patchwork quilt! If I had thought I would be replacing everything in the beginning I would of cut the whole floor out at once and saved some time.

Had to make a replacement left side brace, mine was toast, made one from scrap pieces. Free is good, installed it today.

I think that will be it for awhile until I am done with the floors, no sense posting pics of the same stuff again on the other side.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:08 PM
John Thomas Dorosky
Freshman User
Really Nice Progress!!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Dave,
You have to post pics of the other side otherwise it didn't happen!
Always look forward to watching your work. I hope the floor reconstruction is over for you soon. Our's was in about the same shape - it takes forever.
If you cut the whole floor out at once your cab tends to get out of alignment & the door openings are a bear to get back to the correct position. You don't want to go there.

In the 50's today & blowing - You aren't missing much.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Come on Ben, there are plenty of threads here to read while you enjoy the warm weather..supposed to be 17 here tonight and the snow is STILL not all gone. This is the worst winter I can remember in decades.
I will post some pics but not as "step by step" since I will be doing it the same way as the drivers side. As soon as the floor is done the cab goes off for a haircut and I can get the chassis blown apart and painted. All that is left to do with the chassis before paint are the rear cab mounts and battery box. Still not sure where I am going to get the battery mounted, not going back in the factory spot.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:29 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by John Thomas Dorosky
Really Nice Progress!!
Thanks, trying to hit it hard and get er done.

Quick Reply: 1951 Ford F1 resurrection, jag IFS LT1, EFI, T56, etc