1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

interchangeable parts for different years?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 PM
ToeStubber
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interchangeable parts for different years?

I have a 1996 E-250, my question is does anyone know how I can get a reference chart for what all years of vans would have parts that would interchange and or work for my van, I would possibly buy a complete van just for parts as she does have her problems for sure! all the places I go to just want to sell parts with no guides

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-01-2013, 04:36 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Typically the following would apply:

Body: Most everything sheet metal (composite hood included here) is interchangeable. Headlight assemblies and grill will vary in appearance but the header panel which carries those pieces are so similar you could probably add some things from later years, post '97 and beyond (until at least 2009.) You will notice things like emblem or logo placement will vary from year-to-year so if that's an issue keep that fact in mind.

Interior: '92> 96 will have a lot of similar parts, most notably the dash board and its components including heater & A/C controls, gauge cluster etc. Seat bases should be much the same although the seat upholstery might be different in appearance.

Engines and transmissions only from '92>'96. Engines because in '97 the Modular Motors became part of the E-Series as standard equipment. Many, many wiring changes occurred in '97 rendering much of the interconnecting wiring harnesses for engine/transmission management completely incompatible.

In summary looking for parts from '92 to no later than '96 and you should be safe.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 AM
ToeStubber
New User
interchangeable years

hey Thanks a bunch, as That info makes it so much easier to shop at the salvage yards I check out as I do have a lemon for sure but I am bull-headed enough to (and also cheap..lol) to resurect this van hopefully to better days I knew that 1996 was the last year for the 351 motor so was fairly confident that 1996 would be the last year for parts of this drive-train...JWA you have a good day and thanks once more

Originally Posted by JWA

Body: Most everything sheet metal (composite hood included here) is interchangeable. Headlight assemblies and grill will vary in appearance but the header panel which carries those pieces are so similar you could probably add some things from later years, post '97 and beyond (until at least 2009.) You will notice things like emblem or logo placement will vary from year-to-year so if that's an issue keep that fact in mind.

Interior: '92> 96 will have a lot of similar parts, most notably the dash board and its components including heater & A/C controls, gauge cluster etc. Seat bases should be much the same although the seat upholstery might be different in appearance.

Engines and transmissions only from '92>'96. Engines because in '97 the Modular Motors became part of the E-Series as standard equipment. Many, many wiring changes occurred in '97 rendering much of the interconnecting wiring harnesses for engine/transmission management completely incompatible.

In summary looking for parts from '92 to no later than '96 and you should be safe.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
JWA rocks with his great advice. I don't really have anything to add except that I would not call an 18 year old vehicle a "lemon"....this term is typically applied to new cars/trucks with problems from day one.

Any vehicle over a few years old will have some problems, and anything as old as yours is definitely going to have issues that will be worse if the van has been abused or not maintained. If it needs a LOT of work and money invested, seems to me that one option you have is simply to seek out another van and maybe use yours as a parts vehicle... Book value on vans this old can't be more than a grand or two...

Good luck,
George

Old 10-02-2013, 02:00 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Awwww shucks you guys flatter me----but I'll take it!

Next up we'll have to train one another to leave reps!

Old 10-02-2013, 02:28 PM
ToeStubber
New User
hey yogeorge...ouch my van has a 4x4 wheel drive-train by Quigley I sure hope it's worth more than that ..but anyway I probably would be interested in buying another van for parts for this baby,,been having electrical problems and just to have a parts van would probably be a good idea but the reason I called it a lemon I guess is it's new to me as the 4x4 system was more than I could resist

uote=YoG

eorge;13587116]JWA rocks with his great advice. I don't really have anything to add except that I would not call an 18 year old vehicle a "lemon"....this term is typically applied to new cars/trucks with problems from day one.

Any vehicle over a few years old will have some problems, and anything as old as yours is definitely going to have issues that will be worse if the van has been abused or not maintained. If it needs a LOT of work and money invested, seems to me that one option you have is simply to seek out another van and maybe use yours as a parts vehicle... Book value on vans this old can't be more than a grand or two...

Good luck,
George[/quote]

Old 10-02-2013, 03:41 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
Awwww shucks you guys flatter me----but I'll take it!

Next up we'll have to train one another to leave reps!
I am constantly in rep jail with you, JWA (just checked and that is still the case)...and I don't spend that much time on the different forums here on FTE that I can spread it all over. Seems like when I want to give reps to the few other guys whose advice I really value, I'm in jail with them as well... I see a pattern here.

ToeStubber--the 4WD does definitely make it more of a unique vehicle that is gonna be worth more than a run of the mill van of the same year. (I must have missed the 4WD thing--maybe you put it in a different thread?) So yeah, try to save it if you can.

Good luck with it in any case.

George

Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Thank ya again YoGeorge---your efforts on my behalf are still mightily appreciated!

Toe I'm with YG here on your van's cache being 4x4 and all---that was missed by us all maybe.

If you're able to detail the problems you're having collectively we might be able to direct you ourselves or onto another forum here with more specific advice. Best thing about our vans is they do share some commonality with the F-Series in some areas even if its of a general issue or nature.

If you have images of the body that would be nice to see too---we'd get an idea of the overall condition.

Old 12-19-2021, 11:07 AM
jesseluksan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Information request

Regarding your response below, Where did you get your information from. I'm trying to find compatibility parts with my 2008 Ford E250. In particular, the instrument cluster. Thank you for your time.

Originally Posted by JWA

Hope this helps.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:58 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jesseluksan
Regarding your response below, Where did you get your information from. I'm trying to find compatibility parts with my 2008 Ford E250. In particular, the instrument cluster. Thank you for your time.
By actually working on or owning various E-Series from a 1997 up to my current 2005, studying schematics along with a long time experience in the auto service and repair business, once owned a body shop in the mid 80's. Keep in mind I'm 70 years old and haven't forgotten a lot since I was about 10 or so.

I've also learned quite a bit here so its important to ask questions before just digging in to a project before you have answers.

In particular your 2008 instrument cluster will most likely be very year specific---it is no longer simply a pod to hold a few gauges, there are several microprocessors vital to the engine and transmission. If an incompatible cluster is swapped in it may or may not cause problems.

The following users liked this post: