1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Looking to Purchase 48, 49 or 50 Truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Man, this one is only 45 minutes from my house.

Take your time looking for the truck you want. Patience is the key, but you have to be ready to jump when the right one comes along. I would think $25K will get you something pretty nice.

As a side note, I don't really like when they fill the front holes on the hood. The grill bars should be a different color than the truck. But that's just my opinion.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Phil Barone
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Man, this one is only 45 minutes from my house.

Take your time looking for the truck you want. Patience is the key, but you have to be ready to jump when the right one comes along. I would think $25K will get you something pretty nice.

As a side note, I don't really like when they fill the front holes on the hood. The grill bars should be a different color than the truck. But that's just my opinion.
I think you're right, patience is the key. But the last two months I've looked at so many trucks I wonder if I'm just getting too picky. I'd really like a stick and almost all of them are automatic then there's other stuff like AC and stereos. There's a lot of competition too so I'm looking for the best deal too. The blue truck is nice but I don't think it's worth the money they're asking. Thanks everyone. Phil

Old 10-01-2013, 10:27 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil Barone
I'm going to bid on this:

1950 Ford F1 for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-452985

I managed to track the owner down. It was on eBay a month or so ago and I saved one of the photos and on the photo it had the builders name. They're trying to get 45, yes, forty-five THOUSAND dollars but after speaking with them they said that they may lower the reserve. We'll see. Phil

I don't know if he will go from 45 to 25 but I hope so for you! Good luck!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Phil Barone
New User
Originally Posted by smallello
I don't know if he will go from 45 to 25 but I hope so for you! Good luck!
I offered 35 but he said that if he comes back from the action sitting pretty he'd take less. But based on what I've seen, that truck isn't worth 35 and certainly not 45. At least I don't see it but enlighten me if I'm wrong. I just bid on this and it hit reserve at 19,900 and it has AC, stereo, power steering, a Chevy 350, among other things.

Ford Other Pickups Street Rod | eBay

Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I offered 35 but he said that if he comes back from the action sitting pretty he'd take less. But based on what I've seen, that truck isn't worth 35 and certainly not 45. At least I don't see it but enlighten me if I'm wrong. I just bid on this and it hit reserve at 19,900 and it has AC, stereo, power steering, a Chevy 350, among other things.

Ford Other Pickups Street Rod | eBay
I hope you get overbid. The truck is solid because it's all fiberglass. The front fenders are one-piece fiberglass. The hood is missing the front holes for the air passage (as well as the side holes) and the front trim, also fiberglass. I'm sure the rear fenders are also fiberglass. I'll go as far as to assume that the running boards and the front lower valance panel are also fiberglass. The front and rear bumpers are smooth (48-50 style) and should be ribbed for the 51-52 style. Oh, and the radio is also wrong, so the dash was likely hacked.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Phil Barone
New User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I hope you get overbid. The truck is solid because it's all fiberglass. The front fenders are one-piece fiberglass. The hood is missing the front holes for the air passage (as well as the side holes) and the front trim, also fiberglass. I'm sure the rear fenders are also fiberglass. I'll go as far as to assume that the running boards and the front lower valance panel are also fiberglass. The front and rear bumpers are smooth (48-50 style) and should be ribbed for the 51-52 style. Oh, and the radio is also wrong, so the dash was likely hacked.
I withdrew my bid, I thank you tremendously. Tell me though why the missing air passage hole missing is bad. Ya know the truck has a lot on the ball, it's all new and it has an AC. But I've been burned before because I was ignorant. Apparently I really need you guys a lot.

I'm looking at this now:

Ford : F-100 F1 in Ford | eBay Motors

It's 15 thousand and that raises my suspicion. Thank you guys, I really don't know much about trucks or cars. Phil

Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
When we see things like those holes filled on the front of the hood, we think about things like Spock without his pointy ears. Those holes are a huge part of the identity of the monkey face trucks. Plus one of them has the hood lift handle. So two questions immediately jump into our minds--how did they fill the holes (i.e. bondo and a piece of stiff cardboard vs. a flush metal filler panel done right, etc.) and what kind of hood latch mechanism does the truck have now? Plus, for that kind of money, you need to see a LOT of pictures of that suspension, under the hood, interior, etc.

If I could have a "do-over" with my inititation into the antique Ford truck hobby, I would have forced myself to investigate every single truck I could in person and took my time. But that's very hard to do when you have "the fever".

Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Have patience. When looking at a modified vehicle, ask yourself, do I really want that modification. Does it ad or devalue the truck. What is to be gained by the mod. The purpose of some mods are obvious but others?????? Some mods can be easily reversed, some can not. The mod that may have been the builder's wet dream could very well be your nightmare. Go slow, the truck that fits is out there.
Of course, this is just one old man's opinion.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Phil Barone
New User
Originally Posted by Doc
When we see things like those holes filled on the front of the hood, we think about things like Spock without his pointy ears. Those holes are a huge part of the identity of the monkey face trucks. Plus one of them has the hood lift handle. So two questions immediately jump into our minds--how did they fill the holes (i.e. bondo and a piece of stiff cardboard vs. a flush metal filler panel done right, etc.) and what kind of hood latch mechanism does the truck have now? Plus, for that kind of money, you need to see a LOT of pictures of that suspension, under the hood, interior, etc.

If I could have a "do-over" with my inititation into the antique Ford truck hobby, I would have forced myself to investigate every single truck I could in person and took my time. But that's very hard to do when you have "the fever".
Absolutely, I got the fever. What do I do if I can't go and see the truck?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Phil Barone
New User
Originally Posted by raytasch
Have patience. When looking at a modified vehicle, ask yourself, do I really want that modification. Does it ad or devalue the truck. What is to be gained by the mod. The purpose of some mods are obvious but others?????? Some mods can be easily reversed, some can not. The mod that may have been the builder's wet dream could very well be your nightmare. Go slow, the truck that fits is out there.
Of course, this is just one old man's opinion.
You're a very wise man. The truck I just posted, the red one on eBay for $15,000 is in TN. I'll pay you to go look at it. What do you think? Many thanks, Phil

Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Absolutely, I got the fever. What do I do if I can't go and see the truck?
Honestly, for that kind of money, a plane ticket is probably the best investment you'll ever make, especially if you're going to drop 5 figures of cash on it.

You're a very wise man. The truck I just posted, the red one on eBay for $15,000 is in TN. I'll pay you to go look at it. What do you think? Many thanks, Phil
Ray lives about 400 miles away from that truck. I used to live in the northeast corner of TN in the "tri-cities" area. It was a known fact that you could reach the Canadian border quicker than you could reach Memphis from that point.

Last edited by Doc; 10-02-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Man, you guys are brutal! The black truck is gorgeous! Fibreglass is just the ticket for NY, no rust worries. No parking lot dents. Missing holes in the hood? If you want them, in a couple of hours you could cut them in. The hood release on 51-52's isn't in the holes anyway, it's above the grille bar.

That's at least a $25k truck, my guess is it will fetch almost $30k.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Phil, the earlier grill, what we call the 'Monkey face' was on the 1948,49 and '50 models. The other grill, what we call the manure spreader was on the 1951 and '52 models.
Due to this board I now refer to the wife's truck as a Manure Spreader. She has a fit, she said Belle is NOT a Manure Spreader!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Welcome to FTE Phil. I agree 100% with Doc that if you're going to spend that kind of money either inspect it yourself or send in a rep that you trust to inspect. You'll save yourself alot of heartache and/or financial loss if you do.

Here's a seller in Michigan called Vanguard Motor Sales. All I know of them is from what I've seen on eBay and Youtube. I like that they run 10+ minute videos going over every aspect of the vehicle. They also offer tips on buying a vehicle online. Maybe their own opinion but it never hurts to read all you can to educate yourself. If I saw a vehicle they had I liked I'd watch the video. Then if I'm still interested and my fever has gotten out of control I'd pay them a visit and look over/drive the vehicle to help me make my decision. They currently have three of "our" trucks listed in their inventory. Prices are between 27-35K.

Inventory | Vanguard Motor Sales Buys and Sells Classic Cars

They have this 48 and two 51's.

<EMBED align=middle src=http://www.youtube.com/v/rLzN7dm5QcE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0 width=640 height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash ; allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>
I have no connection. Just another source for you to check out. Let me know what you think. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
I know you say 48-50 (and I strongly support that!) but here is one of the 51's that Vanguard has. I like the looks of this one:

<EMBED align=middle src=http://www.youtube.com/v/SScx6T9jEj4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0 width=640 height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash ; allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

Quick Reply: Looking to Purchase 48, 49 or 50 Truck