Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hydra tunes + one more?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:33 PM
caedo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hydra tunes + one more?

So I have a buddy who.... (great intro to a story right? )... who has been working on upgrading his 02 SD. He doesn't really understand much about it, but iv been helping him through the modification process and i think my PMS was a little too contagious. To make matters worse, he has more money to spend than me! (Tech school tuition versus private liberal arts college tuition) Long story short, he is to the point where he wants to buy a chip. I have him mostly sold on the Hydra, and he is all for it except the fact that PHP doesn't offer a "smoke tune". Now before you all come at my throat for saying the word smoke, let me tell you that I have tried to convince him that it is bad and not really all that cool. But to no avail; he insists on having something to show off to his other buddies (who do think it's cool to roll coal). PHP doesn't suggest that he get the 140 extreme because he has PMR's which i understand. Sucks to suck. So no smoke that way, and no smoke tune either, so no smoke at all. So my final question is: Would other tuning companies like Swamps, TW, BTS, Gearhead, etc. send individual tunes (a smoke tune specifically) to him to put on his hydra or would he have to purchase a "whole set" of 6 tunes like you do when reburning a TS 6pos?

That's all, and a quick response would be awesome because he his very antsy about ordering this thing
Thanks!!!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 618 Likes on 384 Posts
"Hey doctor, I have this friend, and he's got this weird rash..."

Want smoke?

Cover it in gasoline and light it on fire.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by ToMang07
"Hey doctor, I have this friend, and he's got this weird rash..."

Want smoke?

Cover it in gasoline and light it on fire.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Gearhead won't do it, says so right on their website...

Tell your buddy he needs to stop overcompensating for the toothpick in his pants... Rolling coal just makes you look like an @$$ and is the major reason we have all this emissions bs on diesels today. I very seriously doubt you will get anyone on this forum to help him roll coal...

Old 09-30-2013, 05:10 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stebs
Gearhead won't do it, says so right on their website...

Tell your buddy he needs to stop overcompensating for the toothpick in his pants... Rolling coal just makes you look like an @$$ and is the major reason we have all this emissions bs on diesels today. I very seriously doubt you will get anyone on this forum to help him roll coal...
Thanks, I am interested more in the ability to select individual tunes from tuners than the condemnation of rolling coal. Thanks for clarifying about Gearhead!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Look you don't need a smoke tune to blow smoke. Put in a tune that calls for more fuel than your sticks can handle ie a 140 tune for most people, turn the a/c selector to max and mash the pedal to the floor. I do this only on rare rare occassions. I have gearhead tunes and can blow well we'll say "enough" smoke out the pipe.

I had a "smoke" tune from my previous tuner and it never smoked that much, just a puff then cleared right up....

Just try to convince your buddy that spewing smoke out of the tailpipe is for teenagers and gives all of us a black eye. If he's really that interested in maybe he should be doing the research....

Old 09-30-2013, 06:14 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by F-250 Super Duty
Look you don't need a smoke tune to blow smoke. Put in a tune that calls for more fuel than your sticks can handle ie a 140 tune for most people, turn the a/c selector to max and mash the pedal to the floor. I do this only on rare rare occassions. I have gearhead tunes and can blow well we'll say "enough" smoke out the pipe.

I had a "smoke" tune from my previous tuner and it never smoked that much, just a puff then cleared right up....

Just try to convince your buddy that spewing smoke out of the tailpipe is for teenagers and gives all of us a black eye. If he's really that interested in maybe he should be doing the research....
Okay, I understand all of this. Let me restate my question: do other companies besides PHP write single tunes for the Hydra. I guess gearhead doesn't according to stebs, but lets say I wanted to test the 100 perf tune from 4 different companies. Could I order that single tune from BTS, TW, and Swamps and line it up next to the PHP tune and see which one I like best? If I had the hydra?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:14 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 618 Likes on 384 Posts
Originally Posted by caedo
Could I order that single tune from BTS, TW, and Swamps and line it up next to the PHP tune and see which one I like best? If I had the hydra?
Yes. Any tuner who is willing to send you the file with their tunes you can upload to the Hydra.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by ToMang07
Yes. Any tuner who is willing to send you the file with their tunes you can upload to the Hydra.
Great, and do you know of any tuners who are willing to do that?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
All of my tunes smoke.... They clear up once the turbo lights... Like it should. Tell him to get the tunes he wants and once he figures out how to lug the engine with his right foot it will smoke all he wants it to. Or a quick snap of the skinny pedal will cause smoke also.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:36 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Gearhead does write tunes for the Hydra however they/Matt will not write a smoke tune. And yes you can load several different tuners tunes on the chip but it is recommended that you shut by hen truck of when switching between tunes that are written by different companies. I don't remember who but someone had undesirable ....not damaging.....results when doing this.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:03 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by JT250
Gearhead does write tunes for the Hydra however they/Matt will not write a smoke tune. And yes you can load several different tuners tunes on the chip but it is recommended that you shut by hen truck of when switching between tunes that are written by different companies. I don't remember who but someone had undesirable ....not damaging.....results when doing this.
Sounds like I should just have him email individual companies asking them if they will write him a tune and send it to him. Thanks guys!! I appreciate it

Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,120 Posts
We can speculate about this all night long (and probably for the remainder of the week) or I can stop it right here.

First things first, ANY calibration in the advertised horsepower range of 80-120 for a stock truck (and yes, your buddy's truck is stock) is going to smoke when the accelerator pedal is depressed fully and quickly. There's not a "smoke" tune out there that will make copious amounts of intersection stupidity after 1800-2000 RPM because the injectors simply cannot inject enough fuel. Once the turbocharger has finally mustered up enough boost to catch up with the fuel being injected, the big black cloud goes away and you're left with a haze that is identical to the aforementioned 80-120 calibrations. There's only so much fuel available and anything over an advertised 80 RWHP increase is just causing a drop in high pressure oil pressure.

Secondly, the ability to use/switch between different tuning company offerings is only limited by that company's willingness to work with you. The switching between different companies' "tunes" can and will be seamless as long as the same base calibration is used for that particular set of calibrations. For example, if you use PHP's tuning for a 49-state 99.5-01 vehicle, you'll use VRAA6S3. If you decide to purchase from another vendor a second set of calibrations but that company uses or writes for VNAA8U5, then you'll end up with issues when switching. Once switched (and after the stumble or stall), the truck will run fine on either one. As long as you know what you're using for calibrations and both (or all) vendors know what's being used, you won't have any issues. There's nothing wrong with mixing calibration base strategies either. You're not going to hurt anything by causing a PCM reboot...other than it's something that should be avoided if you're in traffic or under a driving condition where intentionally causing a potential engine stall isn't going to get anyone killed.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 PM
caedo
Senior User
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
We can speculate about this all night long (and probably for the remainder of the week) or I can stop it right here.

First things first, ANY calibration in the advertised horsepower range of 80-120 for a stock truck (and yes, your buddy's truck is stock) is going to smoke when the accelerator pedal is depressed fully and quickly. There's not a "smoke" tune out there that will make copious amounts of intersection stupidity after 1800-2000 RPM because the injectors simply cannot inject enough fuel. Once the turbocharger has finally mustered up enough boost to catch up with the fuel being injected, the big black cloud goes away and you're left with a haze that is identical to the aforementioned 80-120 calibrations. There's only so much fuel available and anything over an advertised 80 RWHP increase is just causing a drop in high pressure oil pressure.

Secondly, the ability to use/switch between different tuning company offerings is only limited by that company's willingness to work with you. The switching between different companies' "tunes" can and will be seamless as long as the same base calibration is used for that particular set of calibrations. For example, if you use PHP's tuning for a 49-state 99.5-01 vehicle, you'll use VRAA6S3. If you decide to purchase from another vendor a second set of calibrations but that company uses or writes for VNAA8U5, then you'll end up with issues when switching. Once switched (and after the stumble or stall), the truck will run fine on either one. As long as you know what you're using for calibrations and both (or all) vendors know what's being used, you won't have any issues. There's nothing wrong with mixing calibration base strategies either. You're not going to hurt anything by causing a PCM reboot...other than it's something that should be avoided if you're in traffic or under a driving condition where intentionally causing a potential engine stall isn't going to get anyone killed.
Perfect! That answered all of my questions so far! Thank you. I will go in peace now with an enlightened understanding. And Cody, you will probably be getting an order in soon for a hydra.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by caedo
Cody, you will probably be getting an order in soon for a hydra.
Not me.

I don't do those....not my baby.

Quick Reply: Hydra tunes + one more?