S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Back to Bako

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Back to Bako

How does everyone feel about Bakersfield and the surrounding areas?
I've always gotten the feeling that it was kinda bleh out there.

I have applied with a company out there, one of only a few that I would leave my current company for, and I would likely have to relocate.

I would prefer to not live in the city, maybe a smaller community outside? But a nice community. Closer to Ventura the better, but nothing is close, I get that. Also, close to a national/state forest is a plus too.

All this tied together has me looking at Fraizer Park.

Thoughts?

Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Our veterinarian lives in Frasier Park. Commutes five days a week (though he works weekends) to Northridge. He loves it up there, though winter snows and summer fires have their downsides. He used to have a six-oh! that he dependably drove for years, but now has a 6.7 which he LOVES.

The distance really puts on the miles, though, as I'm sure it does for you. That will still be a long commute to B-field.

I know, I know, you're USED to a long commute!

Pop

Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also have several other options... Porterville is about 50 miles away and in the foothills, Tehachapi is an easy driven up and down the hill but costs are higher, and Lake Isabella is a nice area but the road would be more of a challenge.
Not sure I'd want to go up and down the Grapevine daily.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Don't forget, Bakersfield is Hot, hot, hot in the summer time.

Jim

Old 09-25-2013, 02:14 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I know, I know, you're USED to a long commute!

Pop
Its less than my current commute! Haha I don't really want to leave Ventura but working there is very, very lucrative. I would take it in a heart beat.

So that's how I stumped onto fraizer park.
I'd prefer something in the forest. But...

Old 09-25-2013, 02:15 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by r2millers
You also have several other options... Porterville is about 50 miles away and in the foothills, Tehachapi is an easy driven up and down the hill but costs are higher, and Lake Isabella is a nice area but the road would be more of a challenge.
Not sure I'd want to go up and down the Grapevine daily.
Porter ville is north right?

My other option is live in Visalia at my dads house..probably rent free or severely discounted. He already gets a great deal on his 3+2 house with a pool.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

I don't believe anyone has enough money to get me to commute from Visalia to Bakersfield daily. That's a long haul!

Of course, NONE mentioned so far are "reasonable" as far as I'm concerned.

But it's not me, it's you! If you can live with it, that might be a better way to go.

But you'll have to join the NorCal FTE guys, instead. We have our limits!

Pop

Old 09-25-2013, 02:37 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I don't believe anyone has enough money to get me to commute from Visalia to Bakersfield daily. That's a long haul!

Of course, NONE mentioned so far are "reasonable" as far as I'm concerned.

But it's not me, it's you! If you can live with it, that might be a better way to go.

But you'll have to join the NorCal FTE guys, instead. We have out limits!

Pop
Not even rent free!!

My dad commutes 3 hours one way to work lol.

Maybe I'll look into bako more. I remember the days of 10 min commutes and it was nice.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I live north of Visalia, and I am in the So Cal chapter.

Jim

Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Pop

Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
When I lived in France, I had a 75 min commute one way. No way I'll ever do that again. If it were me, I'd live about 10 mins to work and then hit those Sierras every weekend with all the saved hours. As the
told us many years ago, we only get 22,000 days. Don't waste 'em commuting.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Or, you could work from home and have no commute. Of course, that limits your choice of professions.

Jim

Old 09-26-2013, 12:22 AM
djed
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Didn't we just have this conversation about how lucky you are to live in Ventura ... when it was 100 in the SFV for the 5th straight day? I'm guessing it was hotter in Bakersfield that week. You'll have plenty of time to make money in your life (if that's what is incenting you to move to Bakersfield). Knowing you for as short a time as I have, I'm confident you will succeed in what you set your mind to. Why not do it in a place you love, near family and friends, and where an opportunity will eventually present itself. If Bakersfield is a short term stepping stone towards your career goal, maybe ... Just don't move for the money.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:51 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by djed
Didn't we just have this conversation about how lucky you are to live in Ventura ... when it was 100 in the SFV for the 5th straight day? I'm guessing it was hotter in Bakersfield that week. You'll have plenty of time to make money in your life (if that's what is incenting you to move to Bakersfield). Knowing you for as short a time as I have, I'm confident you will succeed in what you set your mind to. Why not do it in a place you love, near family and friends, and where an opportunity will eventually present itself. If Bakersfield is a short term stepping stone towards your career goal, maybe ... Just don't move for the money.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Nope its not money. Granted living is much as cheaper there and pay is better. Its more for the experience I would gain there. Kern county has a much larger scope of practice (what we can do in the field) and because of that and the extended transports you become very very good at medicine where as here in LA you get one of the most restrictive and out dated scope of practices, and so little time to the hospital you aren't much more than a glorified taxi.

I want to do REAL paramedicine and Kern county offers that.

Also, they will sponsor my paramedic school and pay my full time wages while I go which allows me to get a quality education and not have to ballence school work and bills. So I guess money does play into it a little.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Nope its not money. Granted living is much as cheaper there and pay is better. Its more for the experience I would gain there. Kern county has a much larger scope of practice (what we can do in the field) and because of that and the extended transports you become very very good at medicine where as here in LA you get one of the most restrictive and out dated scope of practices, and so little time to the hospital you aren't much more than a glorified taxi.

I want to do REAL paramedicine and Kern county offers that.
Those are good reasons! Very good, indeed!

I believe David gave you VERY good advice about following money, but it looks like there's more to it.

Pop

Quick Reply: Back to Bako