Sponsored by:

95 Bronco beeping

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:57 PM
bigboylk
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Bronco beeping

I have a 1995 Bronco, 351engine with the overdrive auto. The Bronco has about 236,000 miles and I have a problem that has me stumped.

When I turn off the ignition, I get 5 audible beeps coming from the instrument panel. The beeps happen ever time the key switch is cycled and doesn't make any difference if the engine is running or if the key is just turned off from on.
This problem just started and I never had this issue in the seven years that I have owned the truck.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you mean by any chance the chime? it can behave erratically at times, it was originally intended to remind the driver to wear the seatbelt and to remind him/her to remove the key, when the key is on the switch and the door is open.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
This sounds very familiar. Air Bag Module beeping out a system trouble code?

Do a search here, I know it has been found and fixed by others.

If I had more bytes of memory, I'd remember it all

Old 09-24-2013, 12:03 PM
bigboylk
5th Wheeling
Not a chime noise but five beeps.
After a little research, I too think it has something to do with the ABS system. I checked the ABS light and noticed that it does not light on startup. I also noticed an electrical smell before the problem surfaced. I haven't checked the fuse or the codes but I will today and check back in to the forum latter today.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:47 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Maybe a fusible link burned up in the ABS system. Or the bulb burned out and caused a weird smell.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The most common part to fail is the clock-spring, you might want to look into that.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had just a few minutes today to look into the shop manual on the Passive Restraint System. Yup, the Air Bag light should turn on for about 6 seconds when key turned to Run. If the air bag monitor module can not turn on the bulb, then the module will put out 5 beeps, then another 5 beeps etc. It's not a code, it is a warning that the system may not be functional. First have to see if you can get the bulb on. Like burned out bulb.

All trouble codes, like the 3-2, no connection to the driver airbag (usually bad clockspring in steering column) come through the airbag indicator bulb. No indicator bulb, then the module does its beeping routine as a warning. Book says module is left of steering column. As with all airbag circuitry, be careful. Disconnect battery and wait one minute for back-up power supply to drain down.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 AM
bigboylk
5th Wheeling
Today the ABS light came on at start up. When I turned off the key, no beeps. I know cars don't fix themselves so it looks like something to do with the ABS system.

I just looked for the airbag indictor and saw nothing with the key on and at start up. Where is the light in relationship to the other indictors?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Aib Bag Module

This got me going.

My electrical smell was really bad.
The module is blue, to the right of the gas pedal near the radio.
It snaps out with no tools.
The light is shared with the seat belt.

I remember taking pictures of my fried board but can't find it. J/Y board fixed everything.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 PM
jimbo285
Senior User
My 94 has a bad clock spring that triggers an air bag light to flash 5 times and then 5 more signifying code 55. I thought I would outsmart it and remove the light bulb from the dash, but when I removed the bulb, I got to hear the 5 audible beeps over and over and over......I put the bulb back in and covered the hole with electrical tape from the back. FIXED IT. Haha

Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reminds me of the 72 f100 I had. Bought it with a rod knocking. When it got too bad I'd just reach over and turn the stereo up so I couldnt hear it. Drove the truck for 2 years and when I sold it ( for $400 more than I paid for it) it still has a rod knocking. I love damn ford tough trucks.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 PM
bigboylk
5th Wheeling
I think I'll replace the clock spring. It looks to be a easy job for most shade tree mechanics.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:19 AM
jowens1126
Junior User
you need to replace the air bag module. Theres a fuse inside it that blows and is not officially serviceable. This usually causes the beeps. You can get a new air bag computer at the junk yard for $5. At least thats how much they are down here.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:31 PM
JGcoupe
New User
Just inspected my ABS module and found it in a toasted condition. Not only were the fuses in the module burned/melted but an area on the circuit board was crispy also. So a replacement was in order. But first...

When I got my bronco it was in really rough shape. I added a missing sensor in the front, replaced the clock spring, replaced the switch on the master cylinder and replaced any bulbs that were either LED or burned out in the inside and out.

The ABS light came off and no air bag light was on however, I would get the 5 beep sequence on start up and while driving at random (still no air bag light on or flashing). After reading this thread after many, I found the module in bad shape and made it to a junkyard. Found a factory seals module and opened it to inspect it. It was in clean and perfect condition. Installed the module and NOW I get the 5-6 second air bag test sequence on start up...and no more darn beeps!

I hope this helps some of you with the problem as it did mine. My cruise control still doesn't work but horn and high beam flasher work so I will be trolling around for other tips. Good day!

Old 10-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Martinito606
New User
94 Beeping

I have the same issue and from what I've been able to tell it's the air bag module under the dash. I'm not very keen on electrical work but I was able to stop the beeping by pulling out the air bag restraint fuse. The beeping already signifies there is something wrong with your air bags so I recommend taking to the dealer or your local mechanic. BUT if it annoys you that much like it does me you can pull the air bag restraint in the fuse box left side above your emergency brake. Its unsafe but this a temporary fix till I can take it in. hope this helps

Quick Reply: 95 Bronco beeping