6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Brake vacuum pump oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Brake vacuum pump oil leak?

Haven't found any other useful info on this, but local dealer says that's where my truck is leaking oil from, and since it's considered brakes not powertrain the repair won't be covered under warranty

Figures......

Backstory goes: dropped my truck off at local dealer Thursday to repair an oil leak from near front main seal area of the engine discovered while inspecting to initiate a bumper-to-bumper warranty through Ford ESP- their platinum warranty. I figured with all the electronic widgets and non-powertrain stuffs on this beast I wouldn't mind paying for 3yrs/36k miles of trouble-free motoring, y'know?

Anyone else had this problem? Apparently it's the O-ring on the brake vacuum pump that's allowing engine oil to leak. I can't even find this thing, just looking for some further explanation. I'm keeping an open mind so far, I don't suspect the dealer's just trying to get one over on me, just trying to be good and educated before I go plunk down $1100 for the repair.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,437 Likes on 1,028 Posts
0ne thing is for sure...if you pay then I would want the defect parts in my hand.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:43 PM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
Haven't found any other useful info on this, but local dealer says that's where my truck is leaking oil from, and since it's considered brakes not powertrain the repair won't be covered under warranty

Figures......

Backstory goes: dropped my truck off at local dealer Thursday to repair an oil leak from near front main seal area of the engine discovered while inspecting to initiate a bumper-to-bumper warranty through Ford ESP- their platinum warranty. I figured with all the electronic widgets and non-powertrain stuffs on this beast I wouldn't mind paying for 3yrs/36k miles of trouble-free motoring, y'know?

Anyone else had this problem? Apparently it's the O-ring on the brake vacuum pump that's allowing engine oil to leak. I can't even find this thing, just looking for some further explanation. I'm keeping an open mind so far, I don't suspect the dealer's just trying to get one over on me, just trying to be good and educated before I go plunk down $1100 for the repair.
Any update on this? I just found some fresh oil on the front of the engine while doing an oil change and can't track down the source...can't get into the dealer until next week.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBeest

Figures......

When it comes to brakes the wearable parts are pads and rotors. This would be a hard part just like a brake booster and should be covered. Think maybe you need a second op. on this .

Old 10-23-2013, 07:16 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
Any update on this? I just found some fresh oil on the front of the engine while doing an oil change and can't track down the source...can't get into the dealer until next week.
Sorry just now seeing this, been AFK for a little.....

but to answer, my repair bill was almost $1100, even tho Alldata showed the part costing about $144 and the labor rate of .4hr, the other $800 came from the "leak test" they had to run to isolate the source of the leak. The brake pump is behind the idler pulley, so there's some disassembly involved to even confirm that was my problem. Oh well, live and learn....

If that's in fact your problem, it looks super easy to DIY

Originally Posted by 69cj
When it comes to brakes the wearable parts are pads and rotors. This would be a hard part just like a brake booster and should be covered. Think maybe you need a second op. on this .
Thanks CJ, while I'd otherwise fully agree with your statement, my truck was out of the mileage limit for this brake item to have been covered. All I had left was the 100k powertrain warranty, but not anymore, that repair was all that was needed to pass inspection and I added on a 3/36 FORD ESP premium package.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:17 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, brought my truck in on wed for a front main seal leak and today they tell me it's the vacuum pump that is leaking oil. A little over $700 now to fix.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 AM
99FORD EXPY.
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i just had mine in for the same repair and mine was covered under the diesel engine warranty 5yr./100000 mile
vacuum pump gasket bc3z2a572 $13.28

Old 12-08-2013, 07:31 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Warning: off topic. Sorry OP. Warranties are a freaking joke anymore. I paid for the extended warranty myself but have a feeling that Ford will try to find any excuse to not pay. And it's not just Ford. Looking at a new Jeep for my wife and the dealer offers a lifetime warranty on parts and labor. Told the salesman I do all of my own maintenance and he said that would void the warranty. He even went on to say that missing a tire rotation would void the warranty. Bunch of BS. Rant over.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:31 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Would this not have been a problem if they stuck with Hydroboost brakes like on 2011 and previous models?

Old 12-09-2013, 10:52 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TRENT310
Would this not have been a problem if they stuck with Hydroboost brakes like on 2011 and previous models?
Even with hydroboost brakes, we still have the engine driven vacuum pump. It may be a different pump though.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:50 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Even with hydroboost brakes, we still have the engine driven vacuum pump. It may be a different pump though.
The vac pump on my 2000 7.3 is electric. Sits on pass wheel well.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:54 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by sgrol
The vac pump on my 2000 7.3 is electric. Sits on pass wheel well.
That pump is for operation of Electronic locking hubs and to open and close all doors for the climate control system.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by UGA33
That pump is for operation of Electronic locking hubs and to open and close all doors for the climate control system.
That be true. Is there another vacuum pump in there somewhere that I don't know about?

Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sgrol
That be true. Is there another vacuum pump in there somewhere that I don't know about?
All 6.7s have an engine driven vacuum pump. The days of the old noisy electric pump on the right inner fender are long gone!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:38 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Yeah but then you loose HVAC or automatic 4x4 hub locks instead of brakes which I find are more important than any of those! I suppose if you loose power steering and power brakes it's just as bad though.

Quick Reply: Brake vacuum pump oil leak?