Looking for water/methanol info for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 03:34 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for water/methanol info for my truck

I've read a little about water/methanol to know what it is and what it is supposed to do. I thought I'd stop my reading there and ask people with experience, what are the things to do and not to do, how does one design the system (what to consider), is there a type of setup that would be best, etc.?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With a funky intake like ford has on its sb engines, I suggest putting two nozzles as close to the hrottlebody as possible so that it can make it to all cylinders equally.
The 460 has a dual plane design and it will distribute the spray better.

You don't need meth as long as the water does not freeze. Water injection requires no tuning, where the meth adds fuel and tuning should be tweaked.
Water/meth injection helps cool and prevent knock, preignition, detonation, and cleans the carbon from everywhere it touches. With meth you can add more timing and if you have pinging while towing, it will eliminate it usually.

eBay has a cheap kit for $200 that you add your own tank.
Two ways you can set it up.
Tank pump hose nozzle rpm switch
Tank, pump , pressure switch solenoid hose rpm switch nozzle.

First setup when you hit an rpm it will spray. The end.
Second setup the rpm switch will pressurize the system to a certain point and shut off. Then rpm switch will trigger the solenoid to spray. If you have a diesel I'd suggest the second setup with a boost switch instead of rpm. Boost can spike quick and you need that pre pressurized spray to overcome boost.

It works great. I've put meth injection on a few subarus and vws and well built gm lsx cars.
Meth requires tuning because of the added alcohol, I prefer just to run water which only cools, but its still awesome. One cummins I helped build with compound turbos made 85psi without and over 100psi boost with. And it stayed cool when we towed with it.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:50 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
This is going on the truck in my signature. Pictured here - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1370475367

Which side of the throttle body? Before or after?

So the methanol isn't there for hp, but just to prevent freezing. OK, then I will need to use methanol part of the year, I'll just have separate tunes.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Everyone's signature shows up but yours. But looks like a 351 with a vortec and no AC or cruise control....
I'd put the nozzles in front of tb because the egr boss is so big and access to that throttle bore may be tough. Just put them in your y-pipe before each butterfly.
I just use straight water in my diesel, and in winter I don't use as much boost.
Methanol gives fuel in the form of alcohol. It will alter your air/fuel mixture allowing more timing then with straight water, and will also be beneficial to you because you're boosted. I would start with straight water for now, and then after you run a few tankfulls and tweak it some, then add (I think) 30% methanol mixture in the tank and see how it goes. You'll need to research what percent it takes to not freeze, and then just use that minimum or just do like 50/50. No you can't use windshield washer fluid... You can, but it has too many other chemicals not the best to be burning inside your engine.

If you don't already have a wideband a/f sensor, I'd reccomend getting one. $200 for the innovate lc1 and digital gauge on eBay. Well worth it to see how the engine is acting with the water/meth injection (and boost for that matter)

Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
Everyone's signature shows up but yours. But looks like a 351 with a vortec and no AC or cruise control....
I'd put the nozzles in front of tb because the egr boss is so big and access to that throttle bore may be tough. Just put them in your y-pipe before each butterfly.
I just use straight water in my diesel, and in winter I don't use as much boost.
Methanol gives fuel in the form of alcohol. It will alter your air/fuel mixture allowing more timing then with straight water, and will also be beneficial to you because you're boosted. I would start with straight water for now, and then after you run a few tankfulls and tweak it some, then add (I think) 30% methanol mixture in the tank and see how it goes. You'll need to research what percent it takes to not freeze, and then just use that minimum or just do like 50/50. No you can't use windshield washer fluid... You can, but it has too many other chemicals not the best to be burning inside your engine.

If you don't already have a wideband a/f sensor, I'd reccomend getting one. $200 for the innovate lc1 and digital gauge on eBay. Well worth it to see how the engine is acting with the water/meth injection (and boost for that matter)
I am posting from the mobile version and the signature doesn't show but I've seen it when viewing the original style page. . I'll keep that in mind.

Makes sense about the other stuff, thanks for the info. I'll do more research and it sounds like it's pretty easy. What about a rate of spray for the water? How do I determine how much water I should spray in? When the water sprays, does it spray at one rate for anything above a certain rpm? Or is it like an injector where it can have different rates of delivery based on different rpm points?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:55 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
There are spray controllers and stuff that can vary the spray pattern. But it costs money.
The variable spray is setup like the second setup I described. It pressurizes the system and has a solenoid like a nitrous solenoid. The nozzles have spray tips you can change. You can probably find a chart online for nozzle size, but really if you start small and increase slightly until you don't notice a gain. A controller is nice for low rpm spraying for when you're towing. If you spray too much than you have risk of hydro locking at low rpm.
Always risks for any aftermarket piece added.

Research some kits and controllers and let me know. I'd love to help and add my input.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Would I be OK in adding the nozzles after the Y pipe in the throttle body? I'd rather modify the TB than the Y pipe. The Y pipe isn't made anymore and the TB is.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:33 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Of course. I just looked at the pic again. Plenty of room to put nozzle in tb.
Give it a whirl. You'll notice it where you don't have an intercooler. I had it on on turbo 5liter mustang before I put an IC in it, as well as I have it in my 85 turbocoupe. It eliminates the heat soak and cools, as well as denser exhaust charge for better spool and drive pressure... You have supercharger so you won't have exact results, but you'll get some great cooling and detonation prevention.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:15 AM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
We use it on diesel's to lower EGT's, to much water meth will put the fire out.. use only what it take's to stabilize EGT's water meth is not considered a power adder in my book. like nitrous or nitro methane, or propane