6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Who has gone from a 6.2 to a 6.7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has gone from a 6.2 to a 6.7?

I would like to hear from people who have made this change. I just got done reading 11 pages of a 6.7 - 6.2 comparison. I am not interested in hearing who thinks what is better.

In this forum all you diesel guys are gonna say diesels are the way to go and just the opposite in the 6.2 forum. I am plenty knowledgeable in both trucks.

I bought a '12 CC 4x4 Lariat 6.2 back in December and I absolutely love the truck. I had always owned GM trucks this is my first Ford. I used to have an '04 D-max I loved that thing! Anyway I really wanted to get the 6.7 but the after long thought I decided to get a gasser.

I don't drive much and when I do its to dinner or 10 miles up the road to the gym. I have a company vehicle so my truck sits a lot and when driving it ...it really never gets warmed and this was a concern for getting a diesel.

I do tow but maybe a dozen times a year either pulling a motorcycle or one of my two hot rods to the drag strip......nothing ways more than 6,500 pounds. An F150 would pull my stuff with ease and my 6.2 does not even break a sweat I just love the way the SD's look and I love a big F'ing truck!

So back to my point I love my truck I love that it is very low maintenance (compared to any diesel) and at some point when its out of warranty I can easily afford the parts and work on it myself. I dont think I would make a switch for the reasons I mentioned. Unless I started driving my truck everyday for work then I probably would.

However I still look at the 6.7's with a little envy.....I mean who wouldn't with the power those things make!

I still think my driving habits are not conducive for any diesel and I definitely do not need a 3/4 ton truck its all a want not a need.I drove a 6.7 for a week ( it was a rental) for work and was pulling a trailer....the power delivery is just crazy and it makes me want one even more but I try to be practical and I don't want headaches.

I would probably go trade in for a 6.7 if I never had intentions of paying it off cause once its outta of warranty and it breaks bad you would need a second mortgage to fix it.

So I am interested in anyone who has made a switch from a 6.2 to a 6.7 and for whatever reason may regret it?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:12 PM
judithgap
Senior User
I am not going to bash the 6.2 either but I just ordered a new 2014 F350 6.7 4x4 Lariat Ultimate trading my 2013 F350 4x4 KR with the 6.2.
I too have no real need presently for the 6.7. I do however plan to purchase a truck camper in the near future.
I traded a 2008 6.4 for the 6.2 and was really never satisfied with its performance compared to the diesel. I think had I never owned the diesel I would not have known how much difference there is between the gas and the diesel.

Again, no bad words about the 6.2. It just isn't what I would choose again.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Rhino-F250
New User
Had a 12 6.2 and ford would not acknowledge or fix a ticking from the engine the would drive me nuts some times couple seconds other times would last for three or four minutes , but would not do it for dealer so being a dedicated ford guy went back to a diesel and haven't looked back third diesel for me and this is best one so far.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Amelio
Senior User
If I used my truck has a daily driver I would have bought the 6.7 That was the major deciding factor in going to a gasser because my truck sits a lot And when I do drive it majority of the time it does not go very far

I still do not think I will go trade-in to a 6.7 The gasser is a better choice for me and my driving habits Plus I think the 6.2 has plenty of power and runs very well for a big truck

After driving a 6.7 all week I just cannot get the want out of my head ha ha

Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

I loved my 6.2 - I had an early on (may 2010). Mine was a daily driver but lots ranch work - hauling feed, lumber, post,etc.. I really liked it - pulled a lot of trailers of different types but mostly my gooseneck with Skid Steer and fuel, air compressor and attachments for tract. Tecknicallly was over weight - but my worries were more breaking axles or tires on trailer - truck worked great with all I could could hook up to.

Yes the Diesel's torque & low end makes it a better motor for a lot of my applications - but the 6.2 performed very, very well.. I came from a 2001 v-10 and worked it like a dog also.. the 6.2 motor & trans made a huge difference between them - I loved the 2001 also..

I changed for a number of reasons and love the truck (6.7) for several reasons. One reason was that the weight ratings was more close to the amount I pulled. I know others don't agree but I feel that even with the $$ maint. - At this point I have been saving $$ in the fuel mileage.

I also upgraded the interior - just because - but now I keep asking why I alway bought the XLT - of course - now my life has been changing some & its nice to have the better/best creature comforts..

Overall don't regret either.. Sold the 6.2 with 62k - just trying to get some trading as opposed to running the wheels off of them..

Old 09-06-2013, 05:14 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
I think the op would do well to stay with the 6.2 based upon the type of service myself. Both are good motors.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by Byram
I loved my 6.2 - I had an early on (may 2010). Mine was a daily driver but lots ranch work - hauling feed, lumber, post,etc.. I really liked it - pulled a lot of trailers of different types but mostly my gooseneck with Skid Steer and fuel, air compressor and attachments for tract. Tecknicallly was over weight - but my worries were more breaking axles or tires on trailer - truck worked great with all I could could hook up to.

Yes the Diesel's torque & low end makes it a better motor for a lot of my applications - but the 6.2 performed very, very well.. I came from a 2001 v-10 and worked it like a dog also.. the 6.2 motor & trans made a huge difference between them - I loved the 2001 also..

I changed for a number of reasons and love the truck (6.7) for several reasons. One reason was that the weight ratings was more close to the amount I pulled. I know others don't agree but I feel that even with the $$ maint. - At this point I have been saving $$ in the fuel mileage.

I also upgraded the interior - just because - but now I keep asking why I alway bought the XLT - of course - now my life has been changing some & its nice to have the better/best creature comforts..

Overall don't regret either.. Sold the 6.2 with 62k - just trying to get some trading as opposed to running the wheels off of them..

Thanks for the info its a good post......

If I did what you do I would also have a 6.7 no doubt......

I really like my truck the 6.2 does everything I need it to...honestly like I mentioned a 1/2 ton truck would do everything I need very well also I just prefer the looks of the Super Duty.

I really dont have any intentions of getting rid of it....I just get a lil excited talking to some buddies that have them and reading on hear....I have driven them plenty and I know how they preform. But honestly when I look at the price to buy one ( I like my trucks loaded) and the costs to keep it up it turns me away real fast!

It would be nice to see Ford direct inject the 6.2 like GM has done with their 6.2.....I would definitely trade up for that!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Rod Bensken
Senior User
I was on the fence also. First time Ford truck buyer, have drove GMC's for 30 years, but the pissed me off with their politic's.
Currently the 6.7 is way over kill. But I am about 2 years from some serious traveling. Going to take a month off about every 3-4 months and see some sight's. And a bigger camper is not out of the question. I'm hoping the 6.7 will be worth it's price at that time. So far she has been great....

Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
I don't drive much and when I do its to dinner or 10 miles up the road to the gym. I have a company vehicle so my truck sits a lot and when driving it ...it really never gets warmed and this was a concern for getting a diesel.
In 2005 I was in exactly the same situation as you. At that time I bought a V10 because it would spend a lot of time sitting beside the house, I too had a company vehicle, and towed my fifth-wheel a few time a year. Once my wife and I retired we started doing A LOT of towing around the country. I was very reluctant to give up the V10 but decided to give the 6.7 a try. I have not looked back since. The 6.7 has been flawless and pulls my fifth-wheel effortlessly.

Rob

Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 AM
mikethomas
Junior User
I too do not drive my truck daily. In fact it will sit in the garage for months at a time. Different from you though I use my truck exclusively for towing or hauling. I came from a series of 1/2 ton gassers. They all did what I needed to do but not even close to how the diesel can do it. For me I don't really care what it costs as long as I am loving it. The time and experience is way more valuable to me than any money. With all that said I think your driving habbits as you explained them would be more suitable to the gasser. Where the diesel shines in my opinion is out in the open road on long trips. I usually am doing half a dozen or more trips a year of 2000 to 5000 miles.

Mike

Old 09-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Thanks for the post Rob17 and Mikethomas.........as I said I am very happy with my truck it runs great and sounds good too.

I think if I ever started driving more or towing more like you guys do I would go to a 6.7 I do have future plans ( future as in 5 years or so) to buy a 30' enclosed car trailer.....I would like to travel to other states and visit their drag strips. I love drag racing and motorcycle road racing.

Then I may look at a diesel....but right now with my current car trailer and either one of my cars I do not even exceed 7,500 pounds and I don't get to go racing every weekend so my 6.2 does just fine.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Sponge60
New User
I bought a 12 F250 with the 6.2. We were buying a fifth wheel and debated getting gas vs diesel. Money was the main factor in getting the 6.2. Huge mistake. Kept the 6.2 for 9 months. Found a 12 6.7 new on the lot and traded this week. What a big difference. Fuel economy alone is a major benefit to the diesel. And the torque doesn't hurt either. This is my first diesel. Very impressed.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM
F16Vip3r
Junior User
Traded up in May

I moved from CA to TN last May (military) and bought a used 30' 6500lb TT. Initially, I had an 5.4L F-150 that I quickly decided was not up to par (performance-wise) for towing my relatively light trailer. I traded the 2010 F-150 for a 2011 F-250 CC 4x4 with 6.2L motor and 4.30 rear axle. For the next 10 months, I towed with this combo with NO complaints... other than the 14-15 mpg I averaged traveling primarily highway miles to/from work, and 8-9mpg towing.

In February, I found out that the AF was moving me back to CA in the summer. Just prior to moving, my family realized that we could get much better deals on trucks and trailers in TN than in CA... not to mention that TN does not tax motor vehicle purchases for military members stationed there. As such, it made sense to upgrade our trailer (though it was still taxed), and we traded for a 36', 8200lb (empty) TT. Towing this with the 6.2, I WANTED better performance... especially since we had a 2500 mile x-country move planned, a heavier trailer, over 3,000lbs of cargo, and an "only in TN" tax relief benefit.

After searching for a couple weeks and running numerous spreadsheets to calculate the financial "smartness" of the decision, I bought a 2013 F-350 Lariat CC with 3.55 axle. My first tow was just after 500 miles (from our house to a local campground while our house was packed up), and the next was the 2500 mile trip begun with just over 1000 miles on the truck. I figured the fuel savings commuting with the diesel in CA would offset the increase in my monthly payment.

Overall, the performance is EXCELLENT, but I must say I'm "ONLY" about 90% satisfied. The only heartache I have is with the frequency of regens that I see. Without regens, I would be averaging ~20mpg commuting the 32 miles (almost all highway) to/from work each day. While the diesel supplement advertises that the regens will occur about once/100-500 miles, mine occur at about every 69 miles. I see a regen either driving to or from work daily. This brings my overall MPG down closer to 16-17 mpg. On the entire X-country trip, it only regen'd twice that I noticed... but I was pulling heavy loads daily for ~300 miles on average. If I could figure out a way to extend the time between regens while commuting, I think I'd be 100% happy. Maybe a topic for another thread?

With the new trailer loaded for camping and 6.2, I saw about 8-9mpg towing. With the 6.7 empty, I get closer to 11 "normally" loaded. X-country, I saw 8-9, but that was mostly due to driving uphill into headwinds most of the way, with 2200 extra pounds that I don't carry on normal camping trips. Additionally, I had to FLOOR the 6.2L to get up to speed on the highway. At 3/4 pedal, the 6.7L easily out accelerates the 6.2... with plenty of power to spare.

Anyhow, the MPG's aren't quite the improvement I was looking for, but the performance has more than met my expectations.