1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Driveshaft segments - CC vs EC comaptibility?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveshaft segments - CC vs EC comaptibility?

OK, check me on this one:

i have two driveshafts that i am trying to assemble a crew cab ZF5 4x4 (BW 4407, i.e. 96/97) manual shaft from. i plan to separate them both at the spline joint and swap ends - i think it will work, but maybe someone can confirm.

if i take the front section (back to the spline joint from the 97 ZF5 4x4 ECLB shaft i have and put it on the rear section of the 97 E4OD 4x4 CCLB shaft i have, will it then be a 97 ZF5 4x4 CCLB shaft? (hope i got all those abbreviations right? :-) )

or asked another way - is the carrier bearing in the same spot on ECLB and CCLB frames when measured from the front of the truck? i know the CC carrier bearing hangs down a little more, but i don't think that should make a huge difference in driveshaft length as long as its in the same location...

or asked another way - is it just the rear section of these 2 piece driveshafts that is different from EC to CC?

And as usual, THANKS!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
OK, check me on this one:

i have two driveshafts that i am trying to assemble a crew cab ZF5 4x4 (BW 4407, i.e. 96/97) manual shaft from. i plan to separate them both at the spline joint and swap ends - i think it will work, but maybe someone can confirm.

if i take the front section (back to the spline joint from the 97 ZF5 4x4 ECLB shaft i have and put it on the rear section of the 97 E4OD 4x4 CCLB shaft i have, will it then be a 97 ZF5 4x4 CCLB shaft? (hope i got all those abbreviations right? :-) )

or asked another way - is the carrier bearing in the same spot on ECLB and CCLB frames when measured from the front of the truck? i know the CC carrier bearing hangs down a little more, but i don't think that should make a huge difference in driveshaft length as long as its in the same location...

or asked another way - is it just the rear section of these 2 piece driveshafts that is different from EC to CC?

And as usual, THANKS!
I think it will work as long as they are both 4407 t-cases. To be sure, measure from the back of the t-case to the carrier on both your trucks now. They both have E4ODs, so if they measure the same from t-case to carrier, then what you're wanting to do with the drive shaft should work when you do the ZF swap.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
i do know on the 2wd ECLB and CCLB, the front driveshafts have different length.. The ECLB is actually longer by about 3 inches..
But then again, not sure about the 4x4

Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Woods, why not take the white trucks driveshaft and have it professionally cut, welded and balanced?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
thanks guys -

Originally Posted by ReBilld
I think it will work as long as they are both 4407 t-cases. To be sure, measure from the back of the t-case to the carrier on both your trucks now. They both have E4ODs, so if they measure the same from t-case to carrier, then what you're wanting to do with the drive shaft should work when you do the ZF swap.
measuring it out is definitely the answer - I'll have to find time this weekend. and yep, both have 4407's

Originally Posted by dieselsubmariner
i do know on the 2wd ECLB and CCLB, the front driveshafts have different length.. The ECLB is actually longer by about 3 inches..
But then again, not sure about the 4x4
it would stand to reason that the 4x4 front half-shaft is different length as well - unless they moved the carrier bearing around. time for the tape measure...

Originally Posted by tshrager
Woods, why not take the white trucks driveshaft and have it professionally cut, welded and balanced?
Todd - cut/weld/balance is the fallback plan, but the cut/weld fee is like $75 at the local driveshaft place with the balance costing $250 - which includes new u-joints and spline. since I have a ZF5 4x4 ECLB shaft sitting in the barn now from when I was planning to put the ZF into the EC, I figure if I can save the $75 weld fee by swapping ends myself, I will. then i'll just have them balance and recondition it...

another, cheaper-still option is checking back at the local truck junk yard. I climbed under about a dozen F-superduty dump and stake-bodies last winter looking for my ECLB shaft without success, but maybe i'll have better luck finding a CCLB shaft in decent shape. their price was only $100/shaft.

of course, I need a ZF5 4x4 F350 front shaft as well now...

I wish I had known i'd be buying this F350 before I started gathering all these ZF-swap parts! most parts are usuable, but for me, the driveshaft-locating was the hardest and that's the part I get to do again :-)

Old 08-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Just a quick pet peeve

Reg cab(RC)
Supercab(SC)
Crewcab(CC)

CHEVY makes Extended cabs(EC)

As far as I know, NONE on the rear driveshafts are interchangeable from any different wheelbase trucks

The E40d is longer then the zf trans, making the driveshaft SHORTER on a E4OD equipped truck