Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Replacement radio for Explorer -- that plays MP3s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 08:49 AM
dcexplorer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone here know if anyone makes a replacement radio for the Explorer's OEM unit -- that also plays MP3s?

Old 06-15-2003, 12:01 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a maybe; the CD players in the newer Rangers (the upper end of the price line), like 00 and on do in fact play mp3's. The kicker will be would it "plug and play" and I can't answer that. To avoid the hassle, call a stereo shop and see if they have an adaptor plate which will allow you to use an aftermarket player in your dash. Trust me, you will really like the extra features on the aftermarket stereos that factory does not have, along with some more wattage and flexibility in adjusting the bass, etc. Also, many shops install for free if you buy it from them; you only have to pay for the wiring harness adaptor. I recently bought a Kenwood that plays mp3's; it was around $300, installed, out the door.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:24 PM
dgardner
New User

I just put an aftermarket Kenwood Z828 MP3 player in my 2002 Explorer last week. I would highly recommend this unit if you can find a new one for around $350. It has 3 preamped out (one non fading. It also has a great EQ with many crossover options. The unit plays almost all MP3 files. I heard of some player that are really picky with what files they will play.

To install I just bought a wiring harness and mounting kit @ Best Buy for $25. The dash is a little tricky and you have to watch not to mark your surround. I had the best luck from the top. I used a screw driver to pry the plastic surround out (near the radio not the dash.) You have to give is a hard yank to pop out the top mounting pins . The install took about 30 minutes and a rating of 3 out of 10 on difficulty. Hope this helps

Old 06-18-2003, 08:27 PM
ford_tr_man
Senior User

grab one our of a wrecked ranger