Sponsored by: Moser

Unintended Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM
stockel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unintended Acceleration

On three different occasions my 2009 f-150 has taken off on its own. The first time my wife was returning from work traveling 30 mph when she rolled up the windows and turned on the A/C the trucks rpm's went to 4000 rpms.
She tried with both feet on the brake to stop the truck and the rpm's went to 6000 rpm's. She was hurt going through a field and finally was able to slow it down to throw the truck in park. A friend saw the truck was in trouble and stopped to see if she was ok. He opened the hood and she tried 3 more time and each time she restarted the truck shot up to 6000 rpm's in park idling. Our friend went inside the cab and adjusted the pedal adjuster and it started and idled fine. I immediately took the truck to the dealership and they keep it a week. N0 codes from the computer so they drove trying to duplicate the unintended acceleration. The ran it through a ORC review with Ford and they cautioned the floor mat may have got stuck on the accelerator.
The second time I was driving at 60 mph and reduced my speed to 45mph and when I touched the accelerator to maintain the 45 mph the rpm's went to 4500. I tried pushing the brake with both feet and the rpm's stayed at 4500. Shifted into neutral and coasted to the berm and placed the truck into park and the rpm's went to above 6000. After shutting off the truck I waited a few seconds and tried to restart and the truck would not even turn over. I opened the hood and did not see anything unusual so I tried starting the truck again and the rpm's went to above 6000 in park. Shut off and tried again and it did the same thing. The adjusted the pedal adjuster and it started fine and did not happen again until my wife placed the truck into park and the rpm's went to 6000. She restarted 4 different times before it finally went to normal idle rpm's. Took it to the dealer and no codes. They are test driving currently.
I now it was not the floor mat when it happened to me because that is the first thing I glanced at when the rpm's went up and stayed above 4000 on its own.
Is anybody having any similar problems? Any advise as what I can do to correct or get assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
I thought these trucks had the brake over ride feature?

I need to check my manual and see.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM
flowgoode
New User
These trucks have electric throttle right? I wonder if the connection is grounding out or something somewhere along the line. I would think that would throw a code though.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Gerby Dutchy
Senior User
Originally Posted by KJ Smith
I thought these trucks had the brake over ride feature?

I need to check my manual and see.
yeah i would say so too ,lots of older vehicles have it too

Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Gerby Dutchy
Senior User
and if it was a sensor that would def. be a code

Old 08-14-2013, 10:40 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
we had a super duty at work do the same thing. the accelerator pedal had a "catch" in it and would not return to "zero" when you lifted your foot off the pedal.

a new accelerator pedal was the fix in this case.

being that the truck is drive by wire, if there is a problem with the pedal, throttle body motor, or electrical connection between the pedal -->pcm --> throttle body, it is possible for the throttle to "stick" open such as described above.

being that you have "adjusted" the pedal and found some degree of success with that, i'd start by looking at the pedal, and make sure it is returning all the way when you release pressure from the foot feed. the fact that it would not restart supports the theory that the pedal is sticking as the vehicle shuts off the fuel injectors while starting if the pedal is held to the floor.

either way, i ain't driving it till it is fixed, and if it has to sit at a dealership until they can replicate the problem, so be it. i'll rent a car for a month before i drive one that has a mind of it's own.... my safety, and everyone else's, is worth the hassle and money spent to not be driving a vehicle with this type of problem.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stockel
On three different occasions my 2009 f-150 has taken off on its own...
Hi stockel,

I want to look into this for you to see how I can help. Send me your details (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) and I'll start researching some options.

Crystal

Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 PM
stockel
New User
Hello Crystal,

EDIT: Personal information removed

Rick Wilson is my service manager at Astorgs and while he was driving the engine light came on and both cam tensioners are bad. Out of warranty by 3000 miles, ford customer royalty dollars is going to help with the repair. Kevin Vonney mentioned the valves may be bad also. Ordered parts and will have to repair prior to test driving to duplicate this dangerous situation with unintended acceleration. The engine started to make like a diesel sound while idling, Rick said he knew what was wrong as soon as he heard the sound, mentioned that they have repaired several of these on 5.4 v-8. I informed him that the truck would do that noise on occasion and I thought it was bad gas in the fuel system. He did say that this is not causing the acceleration issue. The first lady I talked to at the customer relationship center mentioned they should not released the truck the first time this happened. My wife did not drive the truck for 3 months after the first incident. The truck sat in the driveway for the most part, I have a company truck I drive the majority of the time. I love the Platinum truck and would like to have it fixed before somebody is hurt really bad.

Much Appreciated for any assistance. I have lots of questions.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:40 PM
stockel
New User
I think ford started to install brake over accelerator safety feature in 2010 in the majority of their models. Ford did this to all models in 2005 over in the Asian markets and waited until 2010 to do the same thing in USA.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Brake-Over-Accelerator feature started with the 2011 Fiesta and was introduced into production on other vehicles throughout calendar year 2010, so early build 2011 models may not have this feature.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Hello Crystal,

EDIT: Personal information removed

Rick Wilson is my service manager at Astorgs and while he was driving the engine light came on and both cam tensioners are bad. Out of warranty by 3000 miles, ford customer royalty dollars is going to help with the repair. Kevin Vonney mentioned the valves may be bad also. Ordered parts and will have to repair prior to test driving to duplicate this dangerous situation with unintended acceleration. The engine started to make like a diesel sound while idling, Rick said he knew what was wrong as soon as he heard the sound, mentioned that they have repaired several of these on 5.4 v-8. I informed him that the truck would do that noise on occasion and I thought it was bad gas in the fuel system. He did say that this is not causing the acceleration issue. The first lady I talked to at the customer relationship center mentioned they should not released the truck the first time this happened. My wife did not drive the truck for 3 months after the first incident. The truck sat in the driveway for the most part, I have a company truck I drive the majority of the time. I love the Platinum truck and would like to have it fixed before somebody is hurt really bad.

Much Appreciated for any assistance. I have lots of questions.
Hi stockel,

I reached out to your customer service manager (CSM) and requested that she follow-up with you. Keep me posted on how things progress; if you need any additional assistance from me, just let me know.

Crystal

Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM
stockel
New User
Please ASsist

They are test driving to try to duplicate the problem. What am I suppose to do if they cant fix the problem. Keep making payments on a truck that is not safe to drive. I have made 53 payments and still have 18 or so more. The case manager says the truck is to old for buyout. I have brought 10 ford, mercury vehicles over the last 18 years and am feeling very unhappy. The general manager and service manager are not sure they would take the truck in on a trade. That leaves me little choice. Please Help!!! Will a regional ford rep. be of any assistance? What happens if I drive the vehicle and someone gets killed or disabled? My wife had several bruised areas on her chest and legs.

I reached out to your customer service manager (CSM) and requested that she follow-up with you. Keep me posted on how things progress; if you need any additional assistance from me, just let me know.

Crystal[/QUOTE]

Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
They are test driving to try to duplicate the problem....
Hi stockel,

Thanks for updating me on your case. Your regional customer service manager (CSM) will be in the best position to answer any questions and to address any concerns you may have. If you need to speak with someone immediately, you can always contact our Customer Relationship Center directly at 1-800-392-3673.

Crystal

Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 PM
clydesride
Senior User
Yeah boy that is a hoot isn't it?? I had it happen in a milder sense a few times and then once when backing down a hill I had no brakes!

I went to my favourite dealer (Bickley btw..amazing people there) and we determined that the vacuum pump (which I had previously complained about a noise that would not show up when tech was listening) had failed and caused some issues on it's way out (run away) and when it gave up for good (no power brakes)

Naturally my warranty has expired (I have 75,000 kms on her now already) and I get to worry about that failing again, or my wire harness failing somewhere again (previous rant from me) or the inter-cooler issue coming back or the famous shudder that I more or less eliminated with another leaf spring in the back, and hopefully finally the drive shaft has no further run out issues...

Sure love it otherwise, haha.

I am so far into it now there is simply no turning back and all I can do is pray that she lasts with no more issues until we are paid off.

Please don't get me wrong, I like the truck... just don't like to constantly wonder if that damn wire issue was the one time issue it should be or something else is going to go weird.

So, back to the OP's issue... have they looked into the vac pump or anything related? It was something like that for mine.

Sorry for the rant btw...not really the place for it I suppose.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:23 PM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by clydesride
Yeah boy that is a hoot isn't it?? I had it happen in a milder sense a few times and then once when backing down a hill I had no brakes!

I went to my favourite dealer (Bickley btw..amazing people there) and we determined that the vacuum pump (which I had previously complained about a noise that would not show up when tech was listening) had failed and caused some issues on it's way out (run away) and when it gave up for good (no power brakes)

Naturally my warranty has expired (I have 75,000 kms on her now already) and I get to worry about that failing again, or my wire harness failing somewhere again (previous rant from me) or the inter-cooler issue coming back or the famous shudder that I more or less eliminated with another leaf spring in the back, and hopefully finally the drive shaft has no further run out issues...

Sure love it otherwise, haha.

I am so far into it now there is simply no turning back and all I can do is pray that she lasts with no more issues until we are paid off.

Please don't get me wrong, I like the truck... just don't like to constantly wonder if that damn wire issue was the one time issue it should be or something else is going to go weird.

So, back to the OP's issue... have they looked into the vac pump or anything related? It was something like that for mine.

Sorry for the rant btw...not really the place for it I suppose.
Hi clydesride,

Are you still experiencing issues with your F-150? Please PM me your VIN, full name, and best daytime phone number; I'll see what I can do.

Bianca

Quick Reply: Unintended Acceleration