Swaping Stereos

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 01:40 PM
jwchenault
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swaping Stereos

I have a 98 F-150 with AM-FM Cassette w/o CD controller. I am told that AM-FM CD radio was not an option in 98 but would like to know if newer am-fm cd radios will fit without a lot of hassle? I really like the look of my dash and would rather not install an aftermarket head unit if I can substitute a newer OEM CD radio. I know they look the same in the front but learned the hard way on another vehicle that just because the front looks the same doesn't mean it will fit! also would like to know if radio out of explorer would fit again the front looks the same but dont know about mounts or wireing harness

Old 06-14-2003, 08:40 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Swaping Stereos

Check the install doctor website, I think www.installdr.com. they have pretty good write ups on what steros will fit etc.

The key on Fords, at least for 90 to I think 97+ is that there are 3 general types of stereos, not including the weird shaped ones. The 3 types all look almost the same from the front. The difference is the connections on the back. The satndard stereo has 2 large flat connectors for power and signals. The Premium has one large power and a small square connector for signals and requires a separate amp. The JBL system is similar to the Premium but uses 2 amps. You cannot mix and match between any of the three groups without making or finding appropriate cables and having the right amps. As far as I know, no one sells the complete cable set unless it is ripped out of a car and that is likely to be expensive since it is part of teh entire wire harness and may go into the trunk.

You might be able to find the connectors and make up your own cables. I am on that mission but low priority now.

So look at the back of the stereo. If the connectors are the same as what you got, you are probably OK. Mixing and matching is a PITA as I have found. Probably easier and cheaper to do aftermarket if you want to upgrade from standard.

Jim Henderson

Old 06-14-2003, 11:50 AM
BarryBum
New User
Swaping Stereos

Has anyone found any info on this, I have the same problem

Old 06-14-2003, 12:05 PM
AlabamaBronco
Senior User
Swaping Stereos

I agree with Jim, trying to match factory radios is a hassle. Best just to get an aftermarket HU and be done with it. If you dont want to lose the "stock" appearance, think about mounting the new HU in a different location.