1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

weird knocking

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:30 PM
ranger2wd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down weird knocking

i just finally got my 87 ranger running again and now its running at a high idle. it runs at a low rpm, about 300 rpm the idles up to about 2000 or 2500 rpm. could a fuel leak maybe the problem? now after setting for about 6 months it has a pining noise i think around the drive shaft area not sure what to look for. it only makes the sound after leaving 2nd gear then on through the rest. if you can help please do.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:39 PM
xlsportrider
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not 100% sure. I seem to remember reading on here about the splined area of the driveshaft bind and then unloading the tention. Thus causing the ping or knock sound. Check for any signs of in the shaft and let the rest of the FTE family know what you find. As for the changing idle, Maybe a vac leak of some sort?!?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger2wd
i just finally got my 87 ranger running again and now its running at a high idle. it runs at a low rpm, about 300 rpm the idles up to about 2000 or 2500 rpm. could a fuel leak maybe the problem? now after setting for about 6 months it has a pining noise i think around the drive shaft area not sure what to look for. it only makes the sound after leaving 2nd gear then on through the rest. if you can help please do.
Could be a number of things on the idle anomaly, do you have a CEL lit????
Have you pulled the computer codes, if so post ALL code numbes, as they could offer good clues.

With the vintage of this ride & the fact it's been setting this long, varmint nests in the intake plumbing, dirty air filter, fuel fiter, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, or if used, a faulty MAP or vacuum line to it, or if used, a dirty MAF sensor, IAC, TPS, bad gas, all come to mind.

Woops, forgot the driveline "ping" sound, maybe the "U" joints need lube????

Just a bunch of thoughts for consideration.
Let us know what you find.