View Poll Results: Hensley Hitch...
Get it no matter what! A must have!
18.18%
If you can afford it. Luxury item.
54.55%
Only as a last resort for sway problems.
27.27%
Piece of crap. Scam. Don't bother.
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Hensley Hitch Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Mwachel
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hensley Hitch Opinions

What are the opinions out there about the Hensley Hitch? I watched the DVD that they send you and it seems amazing. What do you guys think?

Mike

Old 06-13-2003, 08:56 AM
GAV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hensley Hitch Opinions

I will admit it is the best hitch you can buy. Now when it comes down to value for the dollar is where I disagree. In my opinion a properly set up Reese or Draw Tite WD hitch will do the same thing for far less money.

Mark

Old 06-13-2003, 09:14 PM
fknipfer1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hensley Hitch Opinions

Hardest damm thing to learn how to set up and use on the road.
Had to go to a seminar to learn how to use it, If I had it to do again I don't know.

frankk

Old 06-15-2003, 11:11 AM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Hensley Hitch Opinions

They are impressive, but, again, I don't think it's worth the money. A proper hitch w/ weight distribution and sway control should be enough, or you're doing something wrong. So, I consider this thing a luxury item.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:29 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Talking Hensley Hitch Opinions

Its a really nice hitch but because of the cost I went with the Reese. I did do some checking and questioning before I went with the hitch and found that Reese probably does more testing before releasing the hitch's than anyone. Now before I get flamed out I checked with several insurance agents and that is what I was told. Thought that I had better put that in before I was jumped and beaten to a pulp by some other fan of another product.. Thats all folks.

Old 06-22-2003, 06:36 PM
chad E250
New User
Hensley Hitch Opinions

For the money, I went with the reese strait line hitch. (which is the WD hitch and the Dual Cam HP sold as one unit) I can't imagine a scenerio where the Hensley would keep me out of a wreck that the reese wouldn't have.

Old 06-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Home_school_dad
New User
Hensley Hitch Opinions

I pull a 36' travel trailer with an extended 15 passenger E350 van. For years we used the standard anti-sway that the camper dealers sell (two sway bars). No matter what we did, we had sway. The final straw came when two 18 wheelers passed me - one on each side - at 80 mph. We ended up on the shoulder of the road. I bought my Hensley two years ago. It has been everything the video promised. I can now drive without noticing when trucks pass by. Cross winds are not a problem either (no more than without the camper). I do not spend large amounts of money on just anything. The Hensley represented a large capital outlay for us but it has been worth it.

If you are not pulling a long trailer then something else may work for you. I did not believe the video compelete at the time but the hitch does what they say.

As far as hooking up with a Hensley, there are tricks to it. I can now hook up as quick as you can with a regular ball.

I vote for the Hensley.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM
kazinsky911
New User
I have a Hensley and did noyt get divorced

Mike, I used a Hensley Hitch on my 33ft Holiday Rambler TT and it was like not pulling anything. I would never pull with anything else. The Tape was corny but it was true. My husband even tried to make it sway and could not. We also had someone slam the brakes on their truck because of a deer and it never swayed. I have it up for sale now because we just a 37ft Holiday Rambler 5th wheel. I wish I could use it.
Sheryl

Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
OLD topic...but I'll reply anyway...

I pull a 9000# 35' hitch to bumper TT behind my 137" wheelbased Excursion with a Hensley...

Prior to getting this home on wheels I pulled a 30' hitch to bumper 7500# TT behind this SAME 137" wheelbased Excursion...but with a Dual Cam hitch.

Both the above combos pull/pulled very well.

When I upgraded to the larger and heavier TT...even spending time at the scales I could NOT get the combo dialed in properly on the setup with the DC for this TT. The Excursion presents some unique challenges due to the springs and a heavy (1100-1200# tongue) doesn't help...I had NOT done any suspension mods to my Ex at the time...

You see...my towing habits are that when I am GOING to and COMING from vacation...I tow LONG days. I am the ONLY one in my family that drives while towing. I tow 12-14 hour days covering 600-750 miles on any given day...I MUST be comfortable towing. The DC was NOT going to get me to my comfort point for this setup. Remember I spent much time at the scales...balancing the tongue load to try and achieve an optimal balance for those semi's passing etc...I could not achieve it.

So I bought the Hensley...sure it is a lot of money...but I've got an Excursion that went over $40K new and a TT that went over $20K new plus my family on board that is priceless...a $3K investment in the OVERALL picture is kind of moot IMO. As the investment allowed me to once again drive LONG days and be relaxed doing it.

Here's my experience just from this June.

We left Indiana headed to the Grand Canyon. Wind was blowing at 30+ mph out of the south/southwest. I'm headed obviously south/southwest...
I've got 1800 miles to Williams Az...I'm thinking...that wind can't blow that hard for very long...WRONG...

We fought that cross/head wind for 4 freakin' days.

I pulled 2 days of 600 miles each day across Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico in that 30+ mph wind...never ONCE did the trailer even HINT at an instability...trucks passing would UNLOAD the drivers side wind load and then immediately reload that wind load...what a treat...I tell you...but in all that wind...I was STILL able to tow two 12 hour days and cover 600 miles each day...when we arrived at Oklahoma City the second night...I was no more tired than simply driving 12 hours. Then arriving at Albuquerque again after fighting that wind thru Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico...I was able to pull another consecutive 12 hour day...again...no more tired then simply driving 12 hours.

Finally on the 4th day when we arrived at Williams Az...my wife who was able to sleep many hours of these 4 days...said to me..."you know that hitch was really worth every penny!"...

She had been riding my butt about spending that much on a hitch...well those 4 days of less than optimal weather...proved to her WHY I had spent that much on a hitch...I know I would NOT have been able to cover that many miles with a conventional hitch for this combo...and to me...that $3K was MORE than worth it as it allowed us arrive at our vacation ON SCHEDULE and safely...

BTW...Hensley is running a special pricing...$2400 for their new hitch at their website...

Another BTW...I hitch my Hensley with the aid of a mirror BY MY SELF...I have NEVER had the need for any assistance...I have hitched in some very UNLEVEL situations...NO PROBLEM...the key is that when you UNHITCH...apply the back pressure on the spring bars to HOLD the hitch head to the orientation it is at so hitching is achieved at the SAME orientation...

Old 08-20-2008, 08:30 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I have a Hensley on my 27' trailer, weights 8K, I pull it thru the mountains of PA and VA. Not a problem works great, It is a big investment but can be worth it. A little hard to get used to when Hitching up and when backing but just a few times and you are good.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I researched hitches for 3 months prior to buying our 28' Weekend Warrior. That research of many forums, manufacturers, and talking to people that tow led me to the Pull-Rite and Hensley Arrow.

Since my truck came equipped with a Class IV hitch and I didn't want anything attached to my truck when not towing, I bought the Hensley Arrow.

Installation was not bad after reading the instructions. Hitching up is no more difficult than any other hitch I've used after you get the procedure down.

The Hensley basically eliminates sway and is user adjustable for refining weight distribution. I find this very helpful as you can adjust this to your preference. It also makes a huge difference when passing or being passed by semi-trucks/trailers.

X_Hemi_guy covers the rest of the details very well.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM
kazinsky911
New User
I purchased a 1997 33' Holiday Rambler TT in 2000. It had a Hensley Hitch on it at that time. I was a little leary of it but when we pulled it for the first time, we had to keep looking in the rear view mirror to make sure the TT was still there. We have pulled it to Montana from Florida and then back across the US to Tennessee and over the Smokies to North Carolina and then back to Florida to the Swannee River without any problems. We have been using the Hensley until this year when we purchased a 37.5 Holiday Rambler 5th Wheel. The people who purchased our TT did not want it so I took it off and have it up for sale. It is in Perfect condition and works like a charm. Im asking 1000. for it. I checked with Hensley and they said it usually costs around 400+ to ship it so Im hoping the person who wants to buy it is close. I have it in North Carolina right now but will be taking it back to Tallahassee, Florida in Mid-October when we go back home.
Hensley get my salute for making a product that really does what they advertise.
Sheryl

Old 08-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Sean Woodruff
Freshman User
I was the vice president of this company for 10 years before starting my own. I don't believe you'll ever find anyone that has towed with the product say that it isn't worth the money. I have talked to, literally, thousands of people and you will always get the same answer.

As Joe stated, the price has come waaaaay down. That happens when there is an upgraded product at a price LESS than what they sell the orange for.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
The new hitch that Sean eludes to utilizes the same pivot point projection geometry as the Hensley and was actually designed by Jim Hensley who designed the original Hensley hitch.

Competition has been a benefit to us the consumers in lower prices and having CHOICES...

You can read about that new company here ProPride, Inc. Trailer Hitch - The Next Generation in Trailer Sway Elimination

Even though this is an OLD thread...If anyone reading this is interested in a Hensley...you should also check out ProPride...Sean is always available to talk...as I have done many times...

Joe.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:21 PM
JHENS87
New User
even though this thread is old as dirt. I just wanted to say this hitch is amazing. not just because of the design, but because that the creator of this masterpiece is my grandfather. i have actually gotten to use this hitch pulling a variety of trailers and just love it. i have a 01 f-150 4x4 and couldnt ask for anything better. just my .02 on the hitch

Quick Reply: Hensley Hitch Opinions