1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Project Grace - 1955 F500

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 AM
tnguynaford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good link Joe. J and I both need to get that.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
That and NumberDummy are my two best references. Brake drums are a tough find on these. If you need them, you might best buy good used ones. I hunkered down and bought two of the very few NOS out there and they were not cheap. As for rear shoes, I bought linings and riveted my own. Front shoes may still be found. I used a single '74 (actually, 73-79 F100) front wheel cylinder to get a pair of 1&1/4" pistons and boots to do both sides of Albatross' front wheel cylinders.

Last edited by The Horvaths; 07-31-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Details!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM
tnguynaford
Senior User
There are improvising ways to get'em going again. I picked up a spring kit for a 73-79 F100 rear with 2.25 wide shoes to get the retainer springs and nails for the front. Takes a bit of research and a patient parts person willing to help you dig.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 PM
tnguynaford
Senior User
front wheel grease cap

Does anyone know if the front wheel grease cap on the 55 F500 was originally painted red? Mine was painted red on the end. They have the Ford script stamped on them. I painted them black tonight but I wonder if I should get some red.

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Albatross' were all black and it -looked- factory. I'm pretty sure that I can tell where the POs (2 of 'em) slopped on paint.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM
tnguynaford
Senior User
I kinda liked it and kinda didn't. I think maybe just the script done in red might look good.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:10 AM
tnguynaford
Senior User
The weekends go by way to fast. I didn't get as far as I hoped, but I got a little more done. Started to put front brakes on but the passenger side wheel cylinder was wrong. Packaged wrong best I can tell. So, I worked on the rear. Got that end put back together. I got pics of box the wheel cylinders were in so part number can be seen. There is an upper and a lower cylinder with a 3/16 bubble flare tube connecting them together inside drum. I had to make up one of them. We'll see how that works out when i get fluid to it. The bottom pic was at disassembly time.

Attached Images    
Old 08-05-2013, 05:23 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Might want to get new seals and check the bearings while you're in there. I seem to remember that getting those wheels and drums off was good, hard work! Much heavier than the smaller trucks.

At least it looks dry back there. Albatross' seals were weeping but the bearings were absolutely fine. I wouldn't blame you if you left well enough alone. There should be a blurb in the Ford manual about lifting the axle and using a pry bar under tires to verify bearing integrity. The axle nuts are not hexagonal. They are octagonal and take a special socket. I found one on FleeBay. Working at this level made me very glad that my old buddy gave me a very nice 3/4" drive ratchet & socket setup!

Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM
tnguynaford
Senior User
front springs

Look what just arrived! New front springs for Grace. The old ones are 7 leaf but I got these 10 leaf significantly less priced.

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Where'd you get them and part number please?! Man, you must have a REAL parts person at your aid.
Albatross is already seriously stiff as it is.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM
tnguynaford
Senior User
I got them through Truckpro. They are in several states. The part number is 43-206 from Dayton Parts LLC. They had 4 more springs in stock at the time I ordered about a week ago. They can build the spring that it had on it but because it is special order now the cost increases a lot.
I have years of learning to find stuff since I was mechanic in road construction for 17 years and still work on tractor trailers and autos part time on my own. I have also been in the heavy duty truck parts industry for the past 11 years so I have developed some contacts who enjoy a challenge. Plus I did some measuring and cross checking of similar vehicles. The 10 leaf was offered on P500 in 57 and some other years if my memory is correct. I will be glad to help you get some if you don't have a local dealer.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:11 PM
tnguynaford
Senior User
Part number tag on new front springs.

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 PM
tnguynaford
Senior User
Here is front brake wheel cylinders. Raybestos WC36043 left front and WC36044 right front.
The first 36044 that I got was packaged wrong and I found that out when I started to put it on. Spent about 3 hours on net trying to make sure it was packaging error and find another one for sale. Talked with my local parts place where the 1st one came from and his books showed the picture of the one that didn't fit, but all my research showed it to be 36044. So I ordered one from rock auto and crossed my fingers. It came today and it is right. Yay! Now I have all the parts to put her back together again. Now for some time to work on it. I know I ramble a lot, but I hope the part numbersand photos benefit someone.

Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 PM
tnguynaford
Senior User
BTW... I want to say thanks to Mid Fifties Truck Parts for the push button starter switch that I received today. Now I can get rid of the ugly jumper wires.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM
tnguynaford
Senior User
A little more progress today. Front brakes and hubs installed. Rain here again so that is all I got done today.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Project Grace - 1955 F500