1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Air Compessor question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:56 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Compessor question

So my craftsman 30 gallon got wet in the rain this weekend, so i'm down and out. A co worker of mine (I trust him) has a brand new 80 gallon 6.5 horsepower 16.9 cfm at 100psi Delta that's only been used for one hour. He says I have to hardwire it. I have no clue about wiring an air compressor or running lines from it. Any advice?

Old 07-21-2013, 06:17 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I was given an older compressor out of a filling station . It is 220 , and painted green . Other than that , I don't know much about it . It was free ! I wired it in to my garage power and hooked an air line to it . One heck of a compressor ! My old craftsman is at a buddy's house now ( for 2 years ) . It was simple to wire up , just an electric motor . Wired it like I did my pool pump . Most electric motors even have a schematic on them .

Old 07-21-2013, 06:24 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I assume that this model is a 220 VAC; if so, you are looking at a 30 amp supply. You can wire this unit using a 3-prong connector or you can "hard wire" it directly to a distribution box. The main concern with this installation is the length of wire needed to get from the power source to the compressor motor. My compressor sits in the garage in very close proximity to the power distribution panel. A standard electric dryer runs on a 30 amp service. I brought a 30 amp 220 VAC feed out of my power distribution panel to a standard 3-prong outlet mounted directly behind my compressor. I wired the compressor with a dryer replacement cord (found at your local home improvement store) and plugged it into the outlet. I have a plasma cutter, a MIG, and a TIG setup that all use the same outlet...by using the same connectors on each unit I can easily unplug one and plug in another as needed.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:35 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It should be very straight forward, 220 three wire directly to the box on the compressor. If you have a 220 oulet with a 30 amp breaker then use whatever plug you need. If you need to install one, and aren't familiar with electrical then find someone who is. As far as the compressed air, use a ball valve at the outlet and a regulator so you can dial the pressure you want. Most large compressors will put out more than you need so you need the regulator. Also make sure you have a drain so that you can drain the water out of the tank often. I used a ball valve on the drain too because it is much easier when bending down to drain it. I plumbed a pipe outside since it is messy water that I don't want in my shop. I rarely turn the electric switch off on mine, I just close the air supply ball valve. The tank has no leaks so it never comes on when left alone.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'd make sure it isn't a 3-phase motor. At 6.5 HP, very good chance of that, since it came out of a gas station.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Albuq, are you referring to my post or JWC's?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Yours. I guess I did confuse that yours is from a gas station. 6.5 HP could be either 2 or 3 phase. Houses rarely have 3-phase wiring.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Mine isn't from a gas station

Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
I think ALBUQ F-1 read part of my post into yours

Old 07-21-2013, 09:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Yes I did, but again, a 6.5 HP motor (jrock's) could be either 2 or 3 phase. JWC, I'm honestly surprised yours wasn't 3-phase?

Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Here in rural Tn . ? None of the shops I have worked at since the 80's had 3 phase power supply . That is not the norm here .Only large operations have that type of power supply here .

Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JWC 3
Here in rural Tn . ? None of the shops I have worked at since the 80's had 3 phase power supply . That is not the norm here .Only large operations have that type of power supply here .
Can we assume that electrical power is almost free if small industrial users are operating on expensive Single Phase Power .

Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here in Houston almost no residential areas have 3 phase except for the oldest wealthiest part of town, River Oaks. All of them do and they all run their AC's on 3 phase. They can cool their 10,000+ sq ft homes cheaper than I can cool my 2,000 sq ft home.
There are a lot of compressors made now that have single phase 6.5 HP motors on them, I am not so sure that they still use the same HP measurement though. The motors look like 3HP motors used to look like...

Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by oldmerc
Can we assume that electrical power is almost free if small industrial users are operating on expensive Single Phase Power .
TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) used to be cheap, didn't it? The industrial users I used to work for used 3-ph for anything over 1 HP if they could.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
So my craftsman 30 gallon got wet in the rain this weekend, so i'm down and out. A co worker of mine (I trust him) has a brand new 80 gallon 6.5 horsepower 16.9 cfm at 100psi Delta that's only been used for one hour. He says I have to hardwire it. I have no clue about wiring an air compressor or running lines from it. Any advice?
That's a very big compressor for home use....do you have room for it? If so, snap of pic of the motor data plate.

For a big motor like that, hard wiring is the usual approach, but if you are setting this up in your garage, you can also install a power cord with a 30 amp dryer style plug and use the 220v dryer outlet for your compressor....you'd have to unplug your dryer when you want to use the compressor.

If you're not familiar with working on the electrical panel of your house, get some help on this. There are some good books on home wiring. Depending on the location of your electrical panel, it could be a simple hour job for a licensed electrician....that guy would be able to determine if your power panel has enough capacity for the installation.

One plus to using the dryer outlet is that when an electrician assesses the power panel, he has to assume that everything will be "ON" at some point, so the full capacity has to be there. If you unplug a 220v 30 amp dryer in order to plug in your compressor, then that outlet would only be able to be used by one device at a time (either the dryer or your compressor). That way you're not adding any new loads to your power panel.

Quick Reply: Air Compessor question