1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync problems already 2013

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisscully
I have not had time to do the master reset but I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow. ...

I got the F250 in February and did the first update in May and it worked fine until last week. We will see what happens!
Originally Posted by dennisscully
Thanks Kim, I will check it out. When the Sync system is properly working it is awesome! I hope they get the bugs worked out.
You're welcome. We will help you get back to using that awesome system! You shouldn't experience issues once the reset has been completed, but I'll be here if you need anything.

If you still have trouble with incoming calls, try answering them by pressing the PHONE button on the steering wheel, instead of using your phone or touchscreen. In my opinion, it's the quickest way.

Kim

Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 AM
TheBigNasty
New User
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
You're welcome. We will help you get back to using that awesome system! You shouldn't experience issues once the reset has been completed, but I'll be here if you need anything.

If you still have trouble with incoming calls, try answering them by pressing the PHONE button on the steering wheel, instead of using your phone or touchscreen. In my opinion, it's the quickest way.

Kim

The issue I am having with my 2013 F250 sync is Bluetooth audio will some times play directly on my iphone5. Streaming will be fine when I first get in, I make a stop and get rolling again and it wants to play directly on the iphone5

Old 08-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Doncon1216
New User
Yes the replacing my mic, yes it did fix the problem althought the dealer tech damaged my headliner trying to get to the connection on the short! I let it be I'm too busy to be going back for poor work! Also I had a new download that I did so far just a few blips now and then.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:24 PM
dennisscully
New User
Thanks. I had the last update about a month ago and all is working well now. I think the Sync system is so much better than any other system I have used. Those include Mercedes Benz, Infiniti and Lexus. I can understand the need for system updates as new smart phones come on the market. We had similar issues with the Lexus and Infiniti.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by TheBigNasty
The issue I am having with my 2013 F250 sync is Bluetooth audio will some times play directly on my iphone5. Streaming will be fine when I first get in, I make a stop and get rolling again and it wants to play directly on the iphone5
Hello TheBigNasty,

This kind of behavior could mean that the Bluetooth chip inside your iPhone needs to be reset. Try performing a soft reset on your iPhone to do this: Apple - Support - iPhone - iPhone Troubleshooting Assistant

Over time, depending on your use and charging habits, the Bluetooth signal can become so weak that it will struggle to maintain or even create a proper connection. Let me know how it goes!

Antonio

Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 AM
TheBigNasty
New User
Hello TheBigNasty,

This kind of behavior could mean that the Bluetooth chip inside your iPhone needs to be reset. Try performing a soft reset on your iPhone to do this: Apple - Support - iPhone - iPhone Troubleshooting Assistant

Over time, depending on your use and charging habits, the Bluetooth signal can become so weak that it will struggle to maintain or even create a proper connection. Let me know how it goes!

Antonio
Thank you. This is what I have to do on a regular basis. I had a 2011 f250 up until a month ago, same phone too, and did not have these issues until bought the 2013. I have to soft reset/restart my iphone almost daily.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by TheBigNasty
Thank you. This is what I have to do on a regular basis. I had a 2011 f250 up until a month ago, same phone too, and did not have these issues until bought the 2013. I have to soft reset/restart my iphone almost daily.
I see. In which case, there might be a joint communication error between SYNC and your iPhone. In this situation, the soft reset on your device will provide alleviate some of the problem, but we want your phone to be able to connect and stay connected on its own.

Performing a master reset on your system is the next step to troubleshoot the issue. Restoring your SYNC system will reset the Bluetooth chip in your vehicle, providing the same aid that improves your iPhone's communications. However, since I'm not sure which version of SYNC your vehicle has installed, below you can find instructions for each one:

How to Perform a Master Reset | SYNC & SYNC with MyFord | Ford.com
How to Perform a Master Reset | SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation | Ford.com
How to Perform a Master Reset | MyFord Touch | Ford.com

As a small disclaimer, your system preferences will be returned to factory default in the process. This will necessitate another phone pairing, but let me know if you need any assistance with getting set up.

Antonio

Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
I see. In which case, there might be a joint communication error between SYNC and your iPhone. In this situation, the soft reset on your device will provide alleviate some of the problem, but we want your phone to be able to connect and stay connected on its own.
I just want to say Ford is great. I had some technology troubles with systems in my Audi and they would never even acknowledge that the trouble could possibly come from their side. Read the same kind of stories over and over from all different makes of car. I just figured that technology was an afterthought to all car makers.

Just taking the time to look at the forums and leaving the door open for the blame to be on your side is the #1 step to a right diagnostic and great customer support. Congratz.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM
TheBigNasty
New User

Performing a master reset on your system is the next step to troubleshoot the issue. Restoring your SYNC system will reset the Bluetooth chip in your vehicle, providing the same aid that improves your iPhone's communications. However, since I'm not sure which version of SYNC your vehicle has installed, below you can find instructions for each one:

How to Perform a Master Reset | SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation | Ford.com

As a small disclaimer, your system preferences will be returned to factory default in the process. This will necessitate another phone pairing, but let me know if you need any assistance with getting set up.

Antonio
Thank you! I will give this a try

Old 08-27-2013, 10:33 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With a master reset isn't it possible you may lose all your personal data ?
Nav, phone, etc... ?

so save your data somehow... maybe pics with your iphone !?!

too bad they don't give us a backup to usb or sync command _ That would be the ticket !

Old 09-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Delton C. Baker
New User
Ford SYNC updates

I just tried to update my 2013 F150 SYNC and failed.
It has very simple instructions on the SYNC My Ride web site.
The system how ever did not like the update with three complaints:
1. The first complaint came at the beginning, I plugged in the USB Memory Stick and 2 seconds later it stopped and reported I had already successfully installed the update.
2. I restarted the update from the touch screen and this time it said the update "failed" because the updated wasn't compatible with my SYNC Radio.
3. The final complaint was that there wasn't enough free space in memory to finish the installation. (I am not sure , but I think it felt the USB memory stick was write protected: Windows 8 properties said it was not write protected)

Last edited by Delton C. Baker; 09-23-2013 at 02:11 AM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Delton C. Baker
I just tried to update my 2013 F150 SYNC and failed.
I'm not sure it will help at all but this being a Microsoft product I would star over.

Reboot the truck (turn off radio and ignition; wait a while)
Format the USB key to make sure all hidden files are removed
RE-install a new download of the update file on the USB stick
Maybe use a different USB stick if possible

Try again

Old 09-24-2013, 08:49 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
I'm not sure it will help at all but this being a Microsoft product I would star over.

Reboot the truck (turn off radio and ignition; wait a while)
Format the USB key to make sure all hidden files are removed
RE-install a new download of the update file on the USB stick
Maybe use a different USB stick if possible

Try again
Fastfwd,

This is excefllent advice. I would like to build onto your suggestion of key cycling the vehicle and say that a master reset to SYNC might even be necessary:

Also, reformatting the USB drive to the FAT32 encryption will ensure that the software is encoding properly upon download. I agree that if it seems your USB device is giving you persistent issues, using an alternative USB storage device would be beneficial.

Antonio