Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterpump/timing cover job

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 AM
TheGageinator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waterpump/timing cover job

i noticed alot of corrosion associated with a leaking waterpump around the front of the engine(and i just so happen to have a brand new one from another truck) so i decided to change it out along with a failsafe thermostat and engine flush.
WOW! worst job ever haha. the 2 other bolts broke off with ease, and the rest came out no problem. I had the beat the crap out of the waterpump and work it back and forth to get it off of the 2 remaining broken studs for about 30 minutes. Then i found out that the 2 studs were long... and they going through the timing cover...and into the engine block. I tried and tried vise-grips to no avail. All of the bolts are out of the timing cover(including the 4 oil pan bolts) and it WILL NOT budge. Im going to try a small pipe wrench and a torch on the bolts today and i will update. if that doesnt work, gonna try an impact stud extractor... this sucks.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure you know this, but you have to take the harmonic balancer/dampener off to be able to get the timing cover off.

Good luck with the rest of it man, I'll be doing that same job soon, and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 AM
TheGageinator
Senior User
yes i do know this thank you. i have to run by my shop today and get my harmonic puller. i was too tired to do it last night.

Hey i also purchased 2 of these bolt/stud kits, and i suggest anyone doing this job to do the same.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dorman-Water-Pump-Bolt-E150-Van-E250-E350-Ford-E-150-Econoline-23744-/370740008735?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5651d3971f&vxp=mtr

Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
As fate would have it, I was just on Rock Auto's website getting my order together. I know they had those studs at one time, but I couldn't find them. Thanks for the link!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 AM
TheGageinator
Senior User
you can also see in the bottom right of the timing cover behind the oil filter is a TON of gunk. im guessing either the timing cover leaking or that sensor between the oil filter and timing cover. what is that sensor? crank position? i might have to get a new timing cover as well... all depends on what is required to remove those damn studs

Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Oil pressure sensor is in that general vicinity.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM
TheGageinator
Senior User
ah ok thanks. glad i could help with that link. i heard about those kits and just tried ebay, and sure enough! i paid $12 x2 cause 2 kits. be careful, there is some guy selling the, for double haha $21 per kit

Old 04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
TheGageinator
Senior User
Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 PM
bdelmar2
Senior User
The bolts/studs are most likely stuck to the timing cover because of the corrosion. If you try to power them out with a stud puller or whatever it is possible you will break them off again about halfway down the cover.

If you wire brush where the bolts come out of the cover and spray pb blaster there and tap the bolt you might be able to get them to free up.

Sometimes you can dig around the bolts with one of the wires from a torch tip cleaner set and get some corrosion out, prob not enough to loosen them, but would help the blaster get farther in.

Might also try tapping straight down on the timing cover where the bolts are with a dead blow hammer, just hard enough to loosen the corrosion without breaking anything.

Once you get the cover off, the bolts will come out of the block easily, usually anyway, or you might get lucky and the bolt will come out before the cover comes off.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:25 PM
TheGageinator
Senior User
hey thanks for the advice man I'll try that tonight and update tomorrow tell you guys what happened

Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 AM
TheGageinator
Senior User
well i didnt get to work on the truck last night. A local doge ram needed a tune up. took all night. i did however do a couple rounds of this- spray PB blaster, scrub all around the holes with wire brush to work it in, hit with hammer lightly in every direction, let sit for 30 minutes..... repeat. did that all night. maybe that will help when i have time to try those studs again

Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 PM
TheGageinator
Senior User
Woohoo!!! Got the timing chain swapped out tonight. Finally got the 2 broken bolts and timing cover off! What ended up working to get the bolts out was, the prior posted information, and heating the engine block where the studs thread into, then trying to loosen then with a small pipe wrench while still heating with the torch. Once I got them to budge, I used a high torque drill and tightened the chuck onto the studs to take them out the restof the way. Had to loosen the first 6 bolts on each side of the oil pan to get the timing cover off. Then the timing chain and gears came off without a huge headache.

stud removal

Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 PM
TheGageinator
Senior User
now I just need to get the gasket and seal kit. already have a new waterpump, thermostat, bypass tube, and new radiator. gonna get new radiator hoses, radiator cap, and belt. then ill do a full tune up

Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 AM
bdelmar2
Senior User
Congrats on getting the cover off!

Looks like a little chip got broken out by the passenger side bolt, but it looks like it will still seal I think, if it isn't cracked further when you clean it up.

I always put anti-seize on those bolts in case somebody has to take it apart again someday.

Well, honestly I avoid doing water pumps on Fords if I can, but if I have to they get anti-seize.

Looks like the timing chain had a little slack in it anyway, and now you don't have to worry about the plastic gear covering breaking off and clogging up the oil pump so the extra time and money wasn't wasted.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 AM
TheGageinator
Senior User
haha thanks! i figured it would be best to go ahead and change the timing set cause heck, its only $27.99 at autoparts store so why not? i heard the OEM HO cams are pretty good, so im not sure if i want to change it out just yet. and yeah the cover is trash. at first, i tried to save it, but then realized it wasnt going to be possible. i had to beat the sides where the bolts go through to loosen them up. there was NO way to save the cover and get the bolts out without breaking them again. no worries, its not like these parts are hard to find haha. $60 on ebay. with they were a bit cheaper, but i dont want a used one for obvious reasons. hopefully this will get on google and help some people with stuck bolts/studs. just takes alot of patience, and dont go smacking S**t in a hurry. the whole job took ,me about 12 hours split up into 3 days on and off working on a dodge too.

Quick Reply: Waterpump/timing cover job