Sponsored by: Moser

Slightly misaligned bed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Slightly misaligned bed?

Hey everyone, the other day my father and I were driving around town in my pickup, he kept looking in the side view mirror and finally he told me he thought that my bed was not exactly in-line with my cab. When we got to our destination we both got out and looked, and sure enough the bedside protrudes maybe 1/2 a centimeter out on the passenger side where the bed meets with the cab.

This isn't really a great big deal, I mean I've owned this truck for just a hair over two years now and I never noticed, That's how unnoticeable it really is. But I am curious if anyone else has noticed this on their trucks? And do you think this is worth taking it to the dealer for?

I mean, I feel like I'm being a stickler here...It's not noticeable unless you are really looking hard for it as in staring directly down the length or the pickup, and even then the bed looks lined up except for the slight protrusion on the passenger side.

Its just that old feeling eating on me though...No else may notice it, but now I know that its there and it'll probably always eat at me personally for knowing. I've got about 11 months left on my warranty. Is this something a warranty would even cover? I mean the truck did come out of the factory this way, it hasn't been involved in any accidents or anything like that.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
I don't think you are being a stickler. If its bothering you, I think you should take it to the dealer.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:49 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
I looked at mine last night . I had to look pretty hard, but yeah, it's off. I'm not going to worry about it though, it's not affecting anything as far as I know.
Talk about OCD, I know a guy that when his new truck came in, he actually went down to the dealer with tape and yardstick, and measured the gaps, the heights, and whatever, to be sure they were perfect. Ofcourse he could always pick out faults on mine, but never a compliment to anyone, about anything. The service manager, that I knew, couldn't believe someone could be that ****. I explained, he was an "injunear", it was in his blood.LOL

Old 07-05-2013, 05:04 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
I'm not even going to look at mine because I am **** and I don't want to deal with it if it's off.

However, the passenger side of my front bumper sits just proud of the fender and the driver's side is about right.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm not even going to look at mine because I am **** and I don't want to deal with it if it's off.

However, the passenger side of my front bumper sits just proud of the fender and the driver's side is about right.
LOL, my rear bumper left side sits about 1/8 inch lower than the right. Oh well.
But, after I had the daystar installed, then the air bags, and the about 1" taller tires. I do measure the rear bumper height in order to pump up the airbags so I maintain factory rake.
Ya, well, I guess I'm a bit **** as well. I've been called that before, but I think it had more to do with being full of something!?!?!

Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johnday
I looked at mine last night . I had to look pretty hard, but yeah, it's off. I'm not going to worry about it though, it's not affecting anything as far as I know.
Talk about OCD, I know a guy that when his new truck came in, he actually went down to the dealer with tape and yardstick, and measured the gaps, the heights, and whatever, to be sure they were perfect. Ofcourse he could always pick out faults on mine, but never a compliment to anyone, about anything. The service manager, that I knew, couldn't believe someone could be that ****. I explained, he was an "injunear", it was in his blood.LOL
LOL @ "injunear"...they all think they know everything!

Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
LOL @ "injunear"...they all think they know everything!
LOL, yepper, the stereotypical injunear. To be fair though, some of them I know are pretty down to earth, and can even relate to us commoners.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Pickup trucks are historically large, crude vehicles and are never going to meet luxury car fit and finish standards. I remember a guy on this forum who devoted months of his life worrying and whining about how far the rear tires stuck out of the bed--one side far more than the other. I will bet that yours are different as well; most are. I think he eventually sold the truck because he chose not to live with it and use it.

If you have not noticed for two years, I would suggest you do your best to continue ignoring it. That is how trucks are built. People are not symmetrical either--generally the two sides of your face will differ, feet will be of different sizes, etc.

I'm thinking the dealer would, if they did anything, straighten the bed by some measure and mess up alignment somewhere else.

Good luck,
George

Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Ford8502
More Turbo
Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins

Tim, If you're ****, you KNOW you'll have to look at yours now.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Ford8502

Oh no!! You own him now!!LOL

Old 07-05-2013, 09:59 AM
center97
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was the same! I took it to the dealer and they fixed ur free!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL you got that right!!

Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford8502
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
LOL you got that right!!
Well damn!! Here's a round for some good laughs!!

Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, old Tim should be out there about now with his tape... How was it Tim?

Old 07-06-2013, 02:34 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You mean that they made some where the bed actually lined up perfect? Mine is off by at least 3/8 of an inch, its in that I will repair someday file!

Quick Reply: Slightly misaligned bed?