1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 Ford F1 226 Carb Gas Line Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Vegas123
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1949 Ford F1 226 Carb Gas Line Questions

Hello,

So I am finally getting around to replacing the carb that is currently sitting on my Flathead 6 cyl 226 H series engine. The previous owner had changed out the original carb and installed a Ford marine carb. I purchased the truck in February and it ran so so up to a month ago. Now it runs like garbage!!

About 2 months ago I purchased an original correct core and shipped it to a guy in Connecticut to rebuild it. Man it came back looking factory new!!

So my question is what size of gas line is used from the fuel pump up to the carb? I thought it was 5/16 but I read somewhere that its a 1/4 line?

Just as important what type of fitting do I need to use at both ends of the line?? (into the gas pump and carb). I thought of using steel line and placing a fitting like you will find on a brake line and then flaring the line and screwing it in to the carb and pump. But I was told that this is not the proper way of doing it and that I should be using a nut and ferrule fitting with no teflon tape and goo.

As always thank You.

I will post pics later today.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'm not real familiar with the Holley 1910 carbs, but my recollection is that there is a brass fitting that screws into the carb using an NPT (pipe) thread. That fitting has a flare seat for the fuel line to tighten into. The flared tubing is just like brake line, a double-flare. I used brake line for replacing my V8's lines.

Verify what threads are in the carb body before cranking something in there. Your rebuilder can confirm what they are. (KenCT?)

Old 07-08-2013, 04:00 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
The line pictured is from my 1949 F4 with the 226 CID 6cyl. The line is 1/4" Diameter. I see no signs where it may have been modified.
HTH

Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2013, 04:29 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Thanks Ray, looks like I have CRS...

Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ross, I'm speaking for Victor (Vegas123). Yes, he got the carb from KenCT.

Victor, just call Miguel. He'll get everything done for you. Don't forget to put an inline filter.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Vegas123
Senior User
Thanks for the pictures!!

That is exactly what I wanted to see.

So 1/4 line is what it should be and now I know the type of fittings that I need.

Yes I did have Ken from Conn rebuild the carb, looks awesome.

My 49 is just a little cruiser. Far from perfect but it looks cool and it always puts a smile on my face when I take it out on a drive, priceless.

Since I purchased it a few months back I have put in a new clutch, speedo cable, heater switch, turn single switch, and a new NOS ahoooga horn. I also rewired the horn back to the center button. All thanks to this great site (reviewed old post)!

I have gotten everything to work. I am in the process of installing the rebuilt carb, fuel line from pump to carb, Oil Bath air filter and heat shield (Thanks DUDE!) protonix elec ignition.

He is just a cruiser no big modification plans. Just keep him tuned, fed with gas and fluids and put the petal to the floor!

Here is a pic of Garbage Gold!

Will post pics of engine area later today.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8771be26.jpg

Old 07-09-2013, 10:34 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Nice looking truck!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:15 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't seem to open your link to see the pic's. My internet connection is FUBAR'ed. The tech is on the way. (ya Right). But if your pics were here in the thread I could most likely get to see them.

Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay I finally got in to see your truck and I am glad I did. That is my favorite color setup. My dream is a 50 Merc with that paint. Just perfect. I saved a pic of her for my desk top slide show. Thanks

Old 07-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Vegas123
Senior User
Thanks guys!
So we installed the new carb, no problem.
My new problem is my linkage to the carb is to long! It 7" and based on my measurments it should be 6".

Originally was there a spacer between the carb and intake manifold???? Or did the carb simply sit directly on the manifold?

Seems like there should be a spacer since the support bracket for the oil bath is to short.

Hmmmmmmm.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:07 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
The vertical link on mine is 5 1/4" center of ball to center of ball. Mine has just a couple gasket spacers between the carb and manifold. It is possible yours had a governor at one time. They're about an inch thick.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas123
Originally was there a spacer between the carb and intake manifold???? Or did the carb simply sit directly on the manifold?

Seems like there should be a spacer since the support bracket for the oil bath is to short.

Hmmmmmmm.
Yes, there's a pretty thick gasket that goes under the carb. It's part number B6A 9447-B.

PartsVoice says that Collectors Auto Supply has 22.

CollectorsAutoSupply.com

Haven Ford in Haven Kansas says they have 4.

Haven Auto! Haven, Kansas. Your South Central Kansas dealer for quality preowned vehicles.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Vegas, please let me know how you make out on getting a Pertronix for your 226. I have 6-volt positive ground and haven't found anyone that sells the ignition for that set-up.
Tom

Old 07-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Vegas123
Senior User
I will. Installed it today but having some problems with the carb so did not run it long. Working on getting gasket for carb base and adjust timing.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:27 PM
48 to 49er
New User
I am in the process of rebuilding my carb for my 226 single barrel, I might need Ken in Ct.
How do I reach him?
Takes for the assist.
When I get mine back together on the engine I can post pics
Bud

Quick Reply: 1949 Ford F1 226 Carb Gas Line Questions