Is the Ecoboost Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=David W Jones;13329177]
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev

A good place to start would be Ford. In the 3.5 ecoboosts original press releases Ford themselves said 150000 mile and 10 year projected life of the turbos.
I totally agree with u Dave I just ordered a 5.0 after talking to my service manager he told me if it was his money would be 5.0 all the way, ford still does not have the intercooler problem resolved, he told me right now there r 2 new fixes not sure if they will work and I can tell u fords turbo track record is not very good

Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I do have to say this...I am not worried in the slightest about the turbos on the ecoboost...nor am I worried about how it will be after 150,000 miles. I don't know if I will have my truck that long, most likely will but who knows. I love how this motor is right now and how it feels...and soon i will hopefully be more in love with it after tow my boat!!! I am also not worried about the CAC...why worry about things that may or may not happen!!??

I have never been one to worry about the first year production of anything and so far it has served me well.

Just buy whatever feel right for you and ENJOY IT!!!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing to keep in mind is that, while the Ecoboost does gain two turbos, it also looses a lot of moving parts and friction surfaces by dropping two cylinders.

Shorter crank with less crank bearings/journals, two less connecting rods, two less pistons, 8 less DAMBS/fingers, 8 less valves, 8 less valve springs, two less injectors, 4 shorter camshafts with less cam bearings/journals, 16 less valve retainers, etc. Not to mention two less sparkplugs and coils. It also gains a stiffer block and crankshaft. I believe it actually has less moving parts and less rotating mass than the 5.0L.

Just like anything mechanical, there's always trade-offs. You never know what's going to break until it actually breaks. It could be a turbo on an ecoboost, or you could drop a valve on a 5.0L.

On a side note, the 150,000 mile/10 year number isn't projected turbo life, it's what's they test all their gas engines to in simulated mileage. Both the Ecoboost and the 5.0L are expected to make it to at least 10 years/150,000 miles. Anything beyond that for either of them is icing on the cake. (Also worth noting, diesel engines like the 6.7L, are tested to 250,000 miles.)

Old 07-11-2013, 05:56 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
[QUOTE=04 FX4 Lineman;13329630]
Originally Posted by David W Jones
I totally agree with u Dave I just ordered a 5.0 after talking to my service manager he told me if it was his money would be 5.0 all the way, ford still does not have the intercooler problem resolved, he told me right now there r 2 new fixes not sure if they will work and I can tell u fords turbo track record is not very good
It's a shame that your serve manager biased himself and planted that seed of doubt. Since the gas turbo's of the 80's went bye bye, show one example of a premature diesel turbo failure in a Ford truck. The new turbos are oiled and cooled differently than before plus we have better oil now than 30 years ago. Additionally, on all the new F-150 engines, there is a water jacket on the oil filter block providing extra coolant to the oil itself.

The 2013's have been out for 7-8 months now and I think I've read of one (1) intercooler or condensation issue on this site. The intercooler issues seemed more common on the 2011 and earlier 2012 trucks.

These engines have been out in the F-150 for 2 1/2 years, and for 2 1/2 years we still have these silly little fights that become as stupid a political rant.

The OP needs not to apologize for an honest and worthy question.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 AM
rstucky
New User
Gentleman,

I would like to thank all of you for your input...the graphs, the volume calculations, and all of the knowledge and experience provided in this thread are well beyond what I was expecting. However, I should have known I would get way more than I imagined. To summarize what I have read so far:

-According to the graph provided by Rob, the ecoboost provides higher torque than all the models, up to 4000rpm. (However, this does not show horesepower output)

-I was incorrect in my original post when I tired comparing the 3.5 to the 3.7. I did not realize the turbos provided such a power increase as to move them into a completely new class.

-Ecoboost owners and 5.0 owners are extremely passionate about their vehicles and their engine choices.

-I did not know that a 5.0L was so far away from being an actual 5.0, thank you again Rob.

In the end, these two options seem to excel in each of their own categories. The ecoboost with its high torque in the low RPM band works well for towing loads that it may not be designed to pull. Where as the 5.0 is able to provide max output in the higher band, possibly hauling on the highway? It seems to me, that only so much can be discussed and argued on paper. As has been stated numerous times in this thread, "Go out and test drive!" and that is exactly what I am planning on doing. However, when I report back on what I looked at and what I liked, do not fault me for looking at 2010's through 2012's. Though I said I have the ability to make the payments on a '13, if I can find something of quality in a lower price range, believe me, I am going to jump on it.

Again, gentleman, I would like to thank all of you for your input, and I will be sure to report back regarding my thoughts on what I drive and eventually what I purchase.

-Branden

Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
I had a pretty intersting week. Very happy with the mileage of my Eboost. Towed an empty 2000lb flat bed trailer 200 miles at 72 mph and was average 15.5 mpg. Then the rest of the week has been stop and go, a few short cruises, and a trip back and forth to work which is 6 miles every day. Im up to 550 miles on the tank and im average 17.2 mpg. not bad considering i was towing the first half of the tank. I be willing to bet i would be average 19-20 mpg on this tank if i did not have the trailer behind it.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:53 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[quote=tseekins;13330483]
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman

It's a shame that your serve manager biased himself and planted that seed of doubt. Since the gas turbo's of the 80's went bye bye, show one example of a premature diesel turbo failure in a Ford truck. The new turbos are oiled and cooled differently than before plus we have better oil now than 30 years ago. Additionally, on all the new F-150 engines, there is a water jacket on the oil filter block providing extra coolant to the oil itself.

The 2013's have been out for 7-8 months now and I think I've read of one (1) intercooler or condensation issue on this site. The intercooler issues seemed more common on the 2011 and earlier 2012 trucks.

These engines have been out in the F-150 for 2 1/2 years, and for 2 1/2 years we still have these silly little fights that become as stupid a political rant.

The OP needs not to apologize for an honest and worthy question.
Plantiing that seed of doubt is exactly why i got so defensive. I do apologize to the OP, lets keep in mind he asked about the Ecoboost and wanted to hear from Ecoboost owners. Why 5.0 owners have to offer there opinion when it wasn't asked for i don't know.... But like you have said, Ecoboost owners have been dealing with justifying there purchase for 2 1/2 years now...

Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Originally Posted by rstucky
Gentleman,

I would like to thank all of you for your input...the graphs, the volume calculations, and all of the knowledge and experience provided in this thread are well beyond what I was expecting. However, I should have known I would get way more than I imagined. To summarize what I have read so far:

-According to the graph provided by Rob, the ecoboost provides higher torque than all the models, up to 4000rpm. (However, this does not show horesepower output)

-I was incorrect in my original post when I tired comparing the 3.5 to the 3.7. I did not realize the turbos provided such a power increase as to move them into a completely new class.

-Ecoboost owners and 5.0 owners are extremely passionate about their vehicles and their engine choices.

-I did not know that a 5.0L was so far away from being an actual 5.0, thank you again Rob.

In the end, these two options seem to excel in each of their own categories. The ecoboost with its high torque in the low RPM band works well for towing loads that it may not be designed to pull. Where as the 5.0 is able to provide max output in the higher band, possibly hauling on the highway? It seems to me, that only so much can be discussed and argued on paper. As has been stated numerous times in this thread, "Go out and test drive!" and that is exactly what I am planning on doing. However, when I report back on what I looked at and what I liked, do not fault me for looking at 2010's through 2012's. Though I said I have the ability to make the payments on a '13, if I can find something of quality in a lower price range, believe me, I am going to jump on it.

Again, gentleman, I would like to thank all of you for your input, and I will be sure to report back regarding my thoughts on what I drive and eventually what I purchase.

-Branden
Try and take the same route when test driving so you have a better feel for each truck.. Good luck with your search!

Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
I'd be more than happy to throw together a graph with HP numbers if you like also, if someone can provide me a link where those numbers are available. Downsizing from diesel's myself, I was more curious about the torque numbers. Torque is that gets you, your truck and the load moving. I never fully understood horsepower...

We are all here to learn

Very true, although it's nice when we all can get along .

Happy to provide some info. I actually did not know until recently myself

-Branden
Happy to help. Please be sure to update us with your purchase (and don't forget to post pictures! we love pics here)

Why 5.0 owners have to offer there opinion when it wasn't asked for i don't know....
As a 5.0 owner, I believe I did a good job of representing ALL engine options. Please feel free to look over my posts in this thread and point out any areas where I even hinted that the OP should get the 5.0 VS another engine.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbgt
I'd be more than happy to throw together a graph with HP numbers if you like also, if someone can provide me a link where those numbers are available. Downsizing from diesel's myself, I was more curious about the torque numbers. Torque is that gets you, your truck and the load moving. I never fully understood horsepower...
Horsepower is a simple calculation, as it comes from torque and RPM. A simple formula can calculate that:

HP = (torque x RPM)/5252

It's that simple.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
I'd be more than happy to throw together a graph with HP numbers if you like also, if someone can provide me a link where those numbers are available.
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Horsepower is a simple calculation, as it comes from torque and RPM. A simple formula can calculate that:

HP = (torque x RPM)/5252

It's that simple.
Tom, thanks for the equation! My college professors would be pissed to know I didn't remember that equation was that simple!

As requested:

Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

fordman: I haven't driven one of the eco's. what do you mean by the "fun to drive" aspect? You just mean the turbo?

The engine is really snappy and picks up speed fast enough that it will throw you back in the seat.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User

We are all here to learn

Very true, although it's nice when we all can get along .

Happy to provide some info. I actually did not know until recently myself

Happy to help. Please be sure to update us with your purchase (and don't forget to post pictures! we love pics here)

As a 5.0 owner, I believe I did a good job of representing ALL engine options. Please feel free to look over my posts in this thread and point out any areas where I even hinted that the OP should get the 5.0 VS another engine.
No offense towards you Robbgt .. I should have been more specific because there is just one 5.0 owner i am referring to...

Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
No offense towards you Robbgt .. I should have been more specific because there is just one 5.0 owner i am referring to...
All good

Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM
simenad
Junior User
That is no longer an issue with the lighter duty turbos. Turbos these days are so much better that the ones from 20 yrs ago.

Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Many folks like the Eco Boost for the extra torque it produces because they often tow trailers. I have a 5.0 because I prefer not to have a turbo. The problem with a turbo is that it keeps on spinning after you have shut off the engine, and since the oil pump stops when the engine stops the turbo spin down time is without oil pressure.

I don't have any reliability specs for the turbos on the Eco Boost engines but looking around most turbos will fail and require replacement before 200K miles. Not a problem if you aren't going to keep your truck a long time.

Doesn't the Eco Boost also get slightly better gas milage than the 5.0?

Quick Reply: Is the Ecoboost Worth it?