New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!

Iradic Idle Possibly Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Horock
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this site, first time ever! I have a 2001 Ford Escape that when it rains I cannot drive it due to Misfire. I bought all 6 coils and new spark plugs. When I installed the new coils I noticed condensation in the spark plug tube on cylinder 5 when old coil removed. I cleaned it and installed the new coils. I started the vehicle and idle was rough. I checked to see if the coils were sparking and all six were good. I noticed on cylinder six the connector to the coil that the coating at the connector was deteriorating. I plan on going to the scrap yard and pick up some connectors. I temporarily covered the wires with electrical tape. It still was rough at idle. I took it to autozone and codes were p1406 while driving there it was driving smooth no hesitation but when I stop at a light it would rock back and fourth like it wanted to stall. I also noticed at the back of the intake there are three hoses the smallest hose was wrinkled and deteriorated so I replaced those hoses. I also went to ford and replaced the pcv valve tube from top to bottom.
I don't know what else to do besides change the idle control valve and the egr pressure sensor and crank sensor to see if that fixes it. I am going nuts over this. I also have a lot on my mind as I found out yesterday my girl had a miscarriage. If anyone knows or has experience this and was able to fix it please let me know I will greatly appreciate it.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What you could try is, grab a spray bottle full of water and fire the truck up. Mist the coils and plug wires, then look around to see if you can see a spark coming from any of that stuff.

If there is a wire arching out, then replace it. I've had new wires out of the box before that ended up being bad, anything is possible.

Hope this helps yah out,

Tony

Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Horock
New User

Thanks Tony I will do that today as soon as I get home. I also going to spray around the lower intake and see what that turns up.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Horock
New User

Tony it was the EGR Valve it was stuck after cleaning it for one hour with a wire brush and q tips i noticed originaly when i sprayed the carburator cleaner on it that it would just past through the bottom of the EGR Valve. When i cleaned the one on my Ford Focus it was not passing through. So finally got it to losen up and put it back on and it was idling like it is suposed to. I did try spraying the electrical but did not make a difference however i am greatful that you replied. Thanks so much!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to FTE Horock! I'm glad you already solved your problem, as an advice, next time post your questions here, you'll get more answers that way: Escape & Escape Hybrid - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums