Chip Suggestions? - '03 7.3L

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM
sneltyr
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chip Suggestions? - '03 7.3L

Need some suggestions -

I have an '03 with Modified 4" exhaust and the 6637 air filter mod. I do not have gauges installed for exhaust/trans temp and boost.

I am looking for suggestions on a chip/programmer.

Thanks Much

Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts
I have been happy with my Hypertech programmer for 11 years,,, I bought another one used for my 02 F350, after taking the Edge out. DP Tuner also has a great reputation.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Any of the big names will do ya fine.

I have DP tunes on all my rigs, but others are just as happy with PHP, Gearhead, Swamps, Cale/Tyrant Diesel.

Gonna move this over to the 7.3L forum since this is a 7.3 specific question.

You might wanna also seriously consider getting some gauges. Being able to monitor trans temp and EGT is always a good thing, even in stock form.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 07-01-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:21 PM
sneltyr
Junior User
Guys - I have Isspro gauges with the under mount for the center mirror that I have not gotten around to installing. The truck needs some other work so I may just have a shop install them for me. I did all the suspension mods on the truck when I had more time on my hands but have not been able to get to the gauges.

How about a system that shows the gauge readings on the screen without separate gauges? I know the sensors would still need to be installed. Any thoughts on Bullydog or do some of the others have gauge displays

Thanks much

Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bully dog is junk. Many users have had great results with a Scangauge II. under 200.00 and can display a wide range of things. The only thing you will need is an EGT probe

Old 07-01-2013, 01:11 PM
sneltyr
Junior User
Sounds like I'll go ahead and get my gauges installed. If that's the case I'll be looking for the best tuner I can find.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Krochus
Elder User
A lot of folks will recommend and are quite satisfied with the various PHP based 6 position tuners. Myself being one of those folks

Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 PM
BrandonT71
Senior User
Originally Posted by sneltyr

How about a system that shows the gauge readings on the screen without separate gauges? I know the sensors would still need to be installed. Any thoughts on Bullydog or do some of the others have gauge displays

Thanks much
Check out this link, INFINITY-PL Touch Screen 7.3L NOW AVAILABLE Pre-loaded with standard tunes - Featured Products ,has everything you need and can be preloaded with tunes. Pricey, yes, but the capablities are phenominal, and to get evrything included seperately would cost more. Dependin on which Issopro gauges you have and which mount, I may be interested, could help with an Infinity fund.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts
Howdy Neighbor! Looks like you're in Texas like me!

That being said, you have two options I'd consider for the sake of being able to make changes easily and live tune: Tony Wildman and Matt Robinson of Gearhead Automotive performance.

Both are within a reasonable distance for driving and are great at what they do for you and your truck.

Matt is right in my backyard (College Station) as I'm in Spring, so it was easy to decide where to go once I left the DP camp. I've been a satisfied Gearhead customer since January 2012.

Tony Wildman is in the DFW area and does great work according to my fellow Death Row Inmates.

Before I go too far, what area do you live in?

Old 07-01-2013, 05:06 PM
sneltyr
Junior User
I'm in Houston on the West side near Beltway 8 and I-10.

I was swapping responses with you last year when I did my suspension overall with CaryT's help from CT Performance.

I need a good 7.3L shop in Houston to do a "Head to Toe" on my motor, install gauges and install a tuner.

Thanks for the help.

Maybe sometime I'll take a couple days off, drive to Mineral Wells and become a fellow inmate.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM
pin8246
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Howdy Neighbor! Looks like you're in Texas like me!

That being said, you have two options I'd consider for the sake of being able to make changes easily and live tune: Tony Wildman and Matt Robinson of Gearhead Automotive performance.

Both are within a reasonable distance for driving and are great at what they do for you and your truck.

Matt is right in my backyard (College Station) as I'm in Spring, so it was easy to decide where to go once I left the DP camp. I've been a satisfied Gearhead customer since January 2012.

Tony Wildman is in the DFW area and does great work according to my fellow Death Row Inmates.

Whos is this Tony Wildman? Ive been debating tuners, and never really heard that name. Im a little over an hour from DFW so now im really curious.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by pin8246
Whos is this Tony Wildman? Ive been debating tuners, and never really heard that name. Im a little over an hour from DFW so now im really curious.
Tony has been a "big name" in the tuning biz for a while, but he's been concentrating on his family the last few years (specifically his daughter) because she had cancer. Unfortunately his daughter Morgan passed away very recently.

I haven't heard if he's doing any tuning again yet, but it doesn't hurt to try and contact him and see.

Stewart

Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM
ccbrett
Senior User
I just got the infinity PL and the EGT probe kit once I figured out that took a little more time for PATS to re learn I am loving it about to really test it over the next week towing 26 ft travel trailer all the way to AK up through Canada.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 PM
pin8246
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Tony has been a "big name" in the tuning biz for a while, but he's been concentrating on his family the last few years (specifically his daughter) because she had cancer. Unfortunately his daughter Morgan passed away very recently.

I haven't heard if he's doing any tuning again yet, but it doesn't hurt to try and contact him and see.

Stewart
I may have to look into it. Is he something like DP as in he has the chip, and programs and I order it that way? Or is he all custom has to be done in person type guy?

And does he have a website?

Getting really close to doing the tuning (after I pay the Xbox One off, haha), so these thread help me a lot.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:59 PM
sneltyr
Junior User

I'm very sorry to hear about his daughter. I have some good friends in the same situation.

I know Cary Towery sells the TP tuner with TW tunes. I used Cary for all my gauges, suspension, filter, etc...

Quick Reply: Chip Suggestions? - '03 7.3L