Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
I repped Torr for you and me Chad

Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys, but I'm only doing what God puts us here for. You can help too. Whether it's giving a 20 to a person who is asking (it is not for us to decide who legitimately needs it) or simply opening a door for someone. We all can contribute.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM
hp246
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Hey guys! Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Or week, Al. I haven't been around lately. Been working and serving others. I think most of you will remember me telling you that I coach my church softball team.?
Well, where do I start? If you recall, I met a guy at church who was homeless and he started playing ball with us. Here it is 3 years later and Tuna is still homeless. In fact it's probably worse now. He came from an abusive home and has some mental health issues including depression and severe paranoia. Last summer his caregiver set him up on a $20 prescription drug deal. She said that he was a friend and would give him a little cash for dropping it off. Because of the pending court case, he lost his apartment and lived in a run down motel until this spring. After that, he got accepted into the Goodwill Inn, but left there just before Cherry Festival.
Now to the point of my story. While still at the Inn, he invited another guy to come play with us. At first I was upset, because we have enough players. Then I got to know Brian. First off, he is severely burnt over 75% of his body. He makes Freddie Krueger look normal. He hasn't played organized ball since T-ball.
So we are playing in the outfield, talking, and I tell him that we're just getting old. He tells me he's only 22!
The next week Tuna can't make it and Brian brings Brock. Another 21 year old kid from the homeless shelter. Needless to say, we haven't won a game, but my heart has been touched.

Tuna has been staying with us and we are going to let him camp on our property until he can find a place. Brock and Brian are now camping with a third homeless girl who is 21. I gave them my sleeping bag and was out until 2am the other night helping them put up a tent behind a local chain store in the woods. I didn't know that my sleeping bag was the only one that the 3 of them had. Last night I went to Wal-mart and bought them a couple more. (It was in the forties here last night)

My reason for telling you about this is not to pat myself on the back, but to make all of us aware of a growing epidemic in my area and maybe yours. I have heard estimates of over a thousand homeless people here in Traverse City alone. A lot of the homeless people don't meet our stereo typical view of who is homeless. Some are single parents living in their vehicle with their kids. Some are down and out adults living in a 5x10 storage unit. (I've met several this week) Some are kids, who have jobs, but can't afford an apartment or don't have credit needed for approval. Some could be your co-worker who might seem odd and keeps to themselves and might smell like they haven't taken a shower in a while, because they haven't.
All I am asking is please be cognizant of those around you. Look for things that might signal something isn't quite right. And most of all, HELP THEM.
Part of the Homeless problem dates back to the 1970s when the Warren court found many of the laws relating to the housing of the mentally ill to be unconstitutional. States could no longer take the mentally ill off the street unless they were found to be a danger to themselves, a danger to others, or unable to care for themselves. As a retired police officer, I saw many people who fit in these categories, but were not deemed by the mental health professionals to fit the categories. On time, I encountered a man who witnesses told me had been sitting on the same park bench non stop for over a week. He had the skinny arms and legs and distended abdomen of someone who was starving. In fact, he told me and the psychiatrist that he was intentionally starving himself to death. The psychiatrist said just because he was starving himself to death didn't mean he was a danger to himself! HUH? I was order to take him back to his park bench.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:23 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a truly sad story. In my line of work, I encounter many different medical and mental health issues at the different facilities that I inspect. You always wonder (at least I do) what caused the problem at hand. I remember being in Tawas I believe, and running into some patients who had lived there since the closing of the State Hospital in Traverse City. It closed 25 years ago! These people had experienced in some cases, electroshock therapy that was purely experimental. We see it in the movies, but they experienced it first hand. I do have to say though, the cure for tuberculosis was discovered in Traverse City at the State Hospital.

The scary thing that I experienced this week was that the kids I'm trying to help have jobs, go to church with me, and want to be a productive part of society. I'm not sure what the total story is yet and I have to protect myself and my wife from being sucked in emotionally. What I do know is that I can't do it all by myself.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:03 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Morning All,

Torr, you have made a very important comment here, you can no do it all your self, be careful,

its Monday again..

Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyman
Mike, seriously......you can't go out looking like this anymore....
It would have been a better picture if you had gotten the killer heels I was wearing.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
So glad I did not have coffee when I read that. I would be cleaning the screen up right now......

Happy Monday all

Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
who did i talk to on friday mike, Brent?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Whachootalkinboutwillis?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SDElwood
Whachootalkinboutwillis?
wow, were you that drunk?!

check your call history..

Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
THis should be interesting........

Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzy613
would a miss be like a backfire underload? because around 3500rpm the truck cackles like is back firing until it drops around 3200. and I was just wondering if it was a mis because I have my base timing advanced to 12 to 13* BTDC I really need to figure this out... but hell you guys should be getting a video this weekend

Was this retired plow truck or city truck? It doesn't matter how many miles on it. But timing chains do stretch on those when they idle TONS of hours on it.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:16 PM
SDElwood
Hotshot
It says I called you at 10:49PM. Which means I was indeed drunk. BUT! The knuckle head that would buy your truck is Brett Dodgson.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM
officer131
Posting Guru
Just started my Friday while all you guys have the case of the Mondays.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:14 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
old spark plugs were the cause of the miss shes running right now just got to tighten the collector bolts

Quick Reply: Hey...over here.. ITs JULY!!!!