Oil & Lubrication  

are frams that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 10:57 PM
punchy1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are frams that bad?

i see alot of people on here really bad mouthing fram filters. i don't know alot about filters and would like to get some opinions on which ya'll think is best.i'm fixin to change my oil and i've used fram the last two times 'cause thats what the parts store where i was at gave me. i have a '77 f-100 302 and would like to get some opinions on what might be the best filter to maximize my oil system. thanks.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:07 PM
oldfordtrucksrule
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are frams that bad?

i dont think it's a question of are they bad, but rather they're not that good. bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:13 PM
jcandrew
Senior User
are frams that bad?

Try this web-site: http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

If this link doesn't work let me know. I used to use fram oil filters but after reading the article at this link I don't anymore. Since reading this article I have also talked to a few other local farmers and mechanics and they all recommended against Fram filters. Napa Gold makes a nice filter that is well worth the few extra dollars for peace of mind. Motor craft also makes a nice filter. You will probably be OK with a Fram filter until your next oil change but I would switch from then on forward.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:43 PM
punchy1
Junior User
are frams that bad?

thanks alot jc. i checked out that site and really got alot of info. i don't think i'll ever put another fram on any vehicle i own. price doesn't matter to me, i just want a quality part. i never knew there was that much difference in filters. thanks again.

Old 06-11-2003, 07:35 PM
HardworkinFORD
Senior User
Talking are frams that bad?

Only trust yourself. I checked out the website and something is peculiar. I had been using Fram Tough Guards on my truck, but everyone kept howling about their construction. My last oil change I took a band-saw to the Fram I replaced and inspected it. The filter I dismantled was somewhat different than that pictured in your website, and I felt that the quality of construction was sufficient. Since alot of people here praise the motorcraft line I decided to put one on my truck this time around. I can't wait to cut it apart, because it is so much cheaper I hope the construction is up to par. Bottom line is that you are the consumer making the decision, and if you are unsure find out, FOR YOURSELF! You know opinions are like......we've all got them!

Old 06-11-2003, 08:58 PM
punchy1
Junior User
are frams that bad?

i am gonna judge for myself. but you have to admit ALOTof people really talk smack about the frams. i have a fram now but when i change this weekend i think i'm gonna use a napa gold. i'm gonna cut the fram open too to see what it looks like. thanks for the opinion.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:06 AM
Rat wagon
Senior User
are frams that bad?

Fram ain't a good thing at all, I stuck one on my worn out 360 once and on coldstart it wouldn't have enough oil pressure to start the fisrt time it would wanna turn over it would make this horrible cha-ching cha-ching, knocking, and sledge hammer hitting my valve cover noise!!! Imagine the engine attempting to run without oil. I stuck on a napa gold one day and what do you know? it only makes the lifter tap on cold start instead of trying to run then dying due from lack of lube. Some thing about their drain valve or some kinda thing that holds oil in the filter that makes fram bad.

Old 06-12-2003, 09:14 AM
dave98
Senior User
are frams that bad?

After reading a very similar post here I have stopped using fram and started using motorcraft filters.

If I go to walmart they are actually the same / lower price vs the basic fram filter.

What's the take on motorcraft filters.

Dave

Old 06-12-2003, 09:23 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are frams that bad?

The information I have is that Motorcraft is a Purolator Premium Plus element with a Ford-specified bypass valve. ArvinMeritor would be the maker.

Jim

Old 06-12-2003, 06:06 PM
WillieTD
Senior User
are frams that bad?

The Motorcraft filters use the same element as the Purolator Pure One filters. I thought of switching until I found this out and realized that I actually save about $2.00 using the Motorcraft instead. Not to mention that there has been an issue with Ford V8's and the Purolator Pure One restricting oil flow. Don't know how true that is, only what I've read.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:15 AM
dwildmanj
Junior User
are frams that bad?

I found myself reading everything that was on the website posted by 'jcandrew'. (Thank goodness for the link).

After much reading, and comparison, I went back to the Motorcraft filter. I have used the Pure One, and liked it, but they are more expensive than the Motorcraft, and it appears they are the same filters, in different packaging.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:03 PM
Willy McCoy
Senior User
are frams that bad?

I've been using Motorcraft on my BII. Wonder if they make 'em to fit Mrs *****'s '97 Chevy 5.7?

Old 07-07-2003, 09:32 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
are frams that bad?

I used frams on an old '86 Bronco 2 I had, and the thrust bearing ate into the crank on that. The lifters also ticked like crazy for about half of the vehicles life. Upon tear down, I saw that all the rod bearings were wore through to the copper. I blame all these problems on the Fram filter. It only had about 165,000 miles on it when I quit driving it because of NO oil pressure. I did use Mobil 1 oil in it, though.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:20 PM
HillbillyHellcat
Senior User
are frams that bad?

I have been changing oil for 5 years at a quick lube and I see cars come in with over 250K miles on the original motors and all we use is Fram and Pennzoil.... I don't think Fram is super poor quality but you can get a better filter for the same amount of money. I use the ole Motorcraft FL-1A and it works great. Non Ford vehicles I have usually use a Purolator Pure One, Mobil or K&N filter.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:10 AM
kinglg
Freshman User
are frams that bad?

Stick with the motorcraft. I've Been using them since mile one and have never had a complaint. 186,000 miles and still going strong. LG

Quick Reply: are frams that bad?