6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Oil Filter Messy During Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:23 AM
ironbender
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Filter Messy During Change

I think I've read about ways to minimize the mess changing the oil filter, but can't find it via the search function.

Any tips or tricks to get around the oil running out of the filter when spinning it off?

Old 06-28-2013, 05:05 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Punch a hole through the bottom of the filter first.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
ironbender
Cross-Country
I'll do that on the next change.

I thought I had read/heard somewhere that the construction of the filter does not let it drain that way.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some people have reported success punching the filter, but I have tried punching it several ways with no success at all. I've taken a sharp landscape timber nail and driven it 5" up into the filter and still had a mess when I unscrew the filter. I've tried waiting 30 minutes after punching the filter and still not prevented the mess.

I've given up and just man up, unscrew the filter and let it run all down the sides of the filter until it has had its fun. I got more oil on myself trying to punch the damn thing than I do if I just let it drain itself and then remove it.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:01 PM
ironbender
Cross-Country
Yesterday I lost my grip on the filter as it came off and it went kerplunk (technical term) into the collection pan. That was just lovely.

I had the same issue on my '93 and wish FoMoCo had addressed this.

I assume everyone has the problem I have - that as the filter is unscrewed it starts to leak. Then as it is removed further more oil leaks out.

I've been using paper towels wrapped around the filter to enhance gription, (TT, again) but that didn't work well this time.

There HAS to be a fix.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:07 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use a 5 gallon bucket under the oil pan and another 5 gallon bucket just beside it under the filter. I just unscrew and let it fall into the bucket and then it drains by itself. If you spin it off fast it won't have a chance to really coat the outsides of the filter making it difficult to grasp.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 529 Likes on 181 Posts
There's no good clean way to change any spin on filter, unfortunately. 720deere is right, just break the seal and let it drain out. I break mine loose and then give it a spin so it unthreads a bit, helps it drain faster. I consider it a bonus when you can drain the pan and filter into the same catch pan.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 PM
ironbender
Cross-Country
Thanks!

This is added because just typing "Thanks!" is an insufficient reply for the software.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
I punched several and have also given up on that.
It helps but still leaks down the outside.
Last change I just let it all drain down the side.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Just don't drop the filter into your oil catch pan like I did. That ******* slipped out between my latex gloves and made the second hugest mess I've made changing oil in this truck.

Funny now, not funny then. Ruined a shirt and a pair of shorts with that mistake

Old 06-28-2013, 07:00 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, it's hard to hold on to it, I've dropped it a couple times.

What I do is wear rubber gloves, place a hotel sized (got mine from a days inn) garbage can under the filter and unscrew it halfway, it drains for a few minutes, then I take it off and dump it over into the trash can, trying not to drop it.

I use a short 5-gallon bucket for the oil drain too, if you have one big enough it will catch the oil from the pan and the filter. I do this sometimes too, easier to deal with just one bucket to clean up.

If you catch things right it is possible to change the oil and have two or three little drops on the ground and oil soaked rubber gloves.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Str8shooter
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Epics video is great but like many I have not had success with punching either, perhaps the punch needs to have a larger diameter to make it successful.

I use a 5 gallon bucket also for draining the pan but under the filter I use an aluminum foil roasting size pan that can be tossed when you're done with the oil change. I pour the oil that's in the pan into the 5 gallon bucket then fold up the pan and dispose of it.

Another trick is to put down some heavy mil plastic sheeting and drive over it for that time when things go wrong - like dropping the oil filter. I pre-cut sheets about 6' x 6' and have them ready to go.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I epoxied my garage floor...so these oil slicks I leave in the garage are easy to clean. That was money and time well spent as it seals the concrete to keep from staining.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Str8shooter
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I epoxied my garage floor...so these oil slicks I leave in the garage are easy to clean. That was money and time well spent as it seals the concrete to keep from staining.
That's the perfect answer for spills.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Messy During Change