1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96grimreaper's 01 F250 Platinum build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
looking great as always man. I love those 3 led lights. Had them on my old F-250 and been considering putting 'em on the X

Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
looking great as always man. I love those 3 led lights. Had them on my old F-250 and been considering putting 'em on the X
Thank you.

I always liked the rear clearance lights, gives the truck a bigger look. These things are bright, so bright I might have to add led tag lights. Also considering mounting some led reverse lights in the gap between the bumper and tail lights.

You definitely should put them on your X. If I still had mine it would have got them too.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any pics of those Rigid lights at night?

And are they the spot lights or flood lights? I'm considering getting these lights sometime down the road. They look setup nice in your grill.

Truck looks awesome.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:07 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Originally Posted by Km1210
Do you have any pics of those Rigid lights at night?

And are they the spot lights or flood lights? I'm considering getting these lights sometime down the road. They look setup nice in your grill.

Truck looks awesome.
Thanks

I wish I had some pics but all I have is the camera on my phone and it does the lights no justice.

All 4 are spot pattern. When I bought them for one of my other trucks I was driving about 45 minutes at night on back roads home so I needed much more light down the road.

I've had halogen, converted 35w and 55w hid and factory hid off road lights and for the size, range and pattern the Rigid led's have, I'll stick with them. When funds are available I'm going to go with a 20" spot/flood combo in the bumper. I'm also either going to go with the flush mount SR-M diffused or a single dually with diffused lense for extra reverse lights.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to seeing them installed on your truck (of course, when the funds allow)

Old 10-09-2013, 12:32 PM
700hauler
Mountain Pass
I just acquired my father's 01 Powerstroke and I want to convert from the old sealed beam headlights to either the ones you did or the black 05 headlights...but every time I research the composite lights you have it states *not for use with sealed beam models* is the wiring different? Or is it plug and play regardless? Just curious how intensive the project is going to be when I switch.
I know the 05 headlights require some cutting of the header panel which doesn't seem like that big of a deal if you are already in their dong the swap.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:55 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 700hauler
I just acquired my father's 01 Powerstroke and I want to convert from the old sealed beam headlights to either the ones you did or the black 05 headlights...but every time I research the composite lights you have it states *not for use with sealed beam models* is the wiring different? Or is it plug and play regardless? Just curious how intensive the project is going to be when I switch.
I know the 05 headlights require some cutting of the header panel which doesn't seem like that big of a deal if you are already in their dong the swap.
The reason they say not for sealed beams is because the two are different, i am not sure about the wiring but i cant imagine its hard to switch the socket type its only 3 wires. If you want to go with like what grim has then i believe its an easy switch. As easy as removing the sealed beams and installing regular lights. Ford often times makes the same panels and just adapts housings to fit. In the instance of the 05 lights the socket is a 9008(H13) socket not 9007 like the 99-04 trucks so personally pick which one you rather have and then cut and solder the correct plug on and install your new lights. 05 will require cutting and 04 shouldn't someone may jump in and correct me on that if i am wrong. Also if you are going to go through with an 05 headlight i would recommend getting a relay harness because it will increase your light output or go with HID's but aim them down to not blind people.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:29 PM
700hauler
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by xmontex4
The reason they say not for sealed beams is because the two are different, i am not sure about the wiring but i cant imagine its hard to switch the socket type its only 3 wires. If you want to go with like what grim has then i believe its an easy switch. As easy as removing the sealed beams and installing regular lights. Ford often times makes the same panels and just adapts housings to fit. In the instance of the 05 lights the socket is a 9008(H13) socket not 9007 like the 99-04 trucks so personally pick which one you rather have and then cut and solder the correct plug on and install your new lights. 05 will require cutting and 04 shouldn't someone may jump in and correct me on that if i am wrong. Also if you are going to go through with an 05 headlight i would recommend getting a relay harness because it will increase your light output or go with HID's but aim them down to not blind people.
Thanks for the reply. I like the looks of the 05 headlights better. I have found several sets on ebay that come with a premade harness to adapt from the 9007 to the H13 so that part should be simple. I suspected that the warning was simply for people looking to replace one headlight (one composite and one sealed beam would not be a good look). I was not aware that the 05 headlights increased output...would it be an issue if I did not do a relay harness? I have gone the HID in stock reflector housing thing before and I would like to avoid going that route now. I think some Silverstar Ultras would work just fine for my needs. Anything would outperform these sealed beam units at this point.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
the 05+ lights are tons brighter than the 99-04 lights. put some brighter bulbs in there and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the light output

Old 10-09-2013, 03:51 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 700hauler
Thanks for the reply. I like the looks of the 05 headlights better. I have found several sets on ebay that come with a premade harness to adapt from the 9007 to the H13 so that part should be simple. I suspected that the warning was simply for people looking to replace one headlight (one composite and one sealed beam would not be a good look). I was not aware that the 05 headlights increased output...would it be an issue if I did not do a relay harness? I have gone the HID in stock reflector housing thing before and I would like to avoid going that route now. I think some Silverstar Ultras would work just fine for my needs. Anything would outperform these sealed beam units at this point.
The stock 05 lights actually have worse output do to the H13 bulb design. The relay harness would increase the light output of the lights though. Many have done this with great results. If you do not want to use HID's then i would say definitley go with the relay harness and you'll be happy with their output. Defuser (http://dfuser.com/catalog/harness.php) sells a harness that even converts the 9007 to the 9008 socket if you already have the 9007 socked for your sealed beams (i dont know what sealed beams have lol) it is $90 but it will be money well spent from what i hear.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:06 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
All good info and I'm always happy to help but let's not get this too far off track.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:11 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 96grimreaper
All good info and I'm always happy to help but let's not get this too far off track.
Agreed, didn't mean to derail your thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:14 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Agreed, didn't mean to derail your thread
No problem at all. One reason I love this forum is everyone is willing to help and very few bad attitudes.

Gonna do my winter prep/detail tonight so I should add some more pics tonight.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:22 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 96grimreaper
No problem at all. One reason I love this forum is everyone is willing to help and very few bad attitudes.

Gonna do my winter prep/detail tonight so I should add some more pics tonight.
Agreed! What are you going to use for the winter prep? I should probably do the same...looks like my garage is getting cleaned out and my moms car is gonna be in the driveway .

Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
I ended up coating everything but the tires and underside with Colonite 845. Sprayed some used oil on the underside. Next year I'm hoping I'll be ready to restore the body so I'll coat the frame and whole underside.

Few random shine pics.

Quick Reply: 96grimreaper's 01 F250 Platinum build.