Bumper hitch

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Bumper hitch

Hello all,

Have a quick question regarding the bumper hitch on my Bronco. I am getting ready to move this Friday, and have already reserved a U-haul trailer (6x12 enclosed) and I was going to have them install a frame mounted hitch on it because I had also planned on using a car hauler from U-Haul from time to time. However, when I told the U-Haul person I had a hitch ball on the rear bumper of the Bronco he told me I don't need a frame mounted hitch since it is rated to tow 5,000 lbs. (I informed him of what it said on the ball)

I am not too concerned about towing the 6x12 trailer as it will not be loaded that heavy, but was wondering if the bumper hitch would be safe for use with the car hauler? I have never towed anything with this Bronco since I have had it, but have towed U-Haul trailers in the past.

Jim

Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The weight on the ball is not may not be the hitch weight.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Hello all,

Have a quick question regarding the bumper hitch on my Bronco. I am getting ready to move this Friday, and have already reserved a U-haul trailer (6x12 enclosed) and I was going to have them install a frame mounted hitch on it because I had also planned on using a car hauler from U-Haul from time to time. However, when I told the U-Haul person I had a hitch ball on the rear bumper of the Bronco he told me I don't need a frame mounted hitch since it is rated to tow 5,000 lbs. (I informed him of what it said on the ball)

I am not too concerned about towing the 6x12 trailer as it will not be loaded that heavy, but was wondering if the bumper hitch would be safe for use with the car hauler? I have never towed anything with this Bronco since I have had it, but have towed U-Haul trailers in the past.

Jim
I can't imagine hauling a car hauler with a bumper attached hitch. Just think about a hard stop and where the hitch ends up. A class III hitch is rated at hauling 6k or 10k as a wd hitch. This Must be a frame mounted hitch, not just bumper.
The ball rating has nothing to do with the hitch rating. Many 2" ***** come with a 3/4 shank but using a 1" raises the tow rating #'s.
Make sure the shank matches the hole in the tow receiver.
Some people under size this and wonder why they come loose!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks for the advice. The ball came with the truck, and it seems to be mounted firmly. However, it does not even look like a 2" ball. So, I guess it will be fine for the moving trailer, and when I am done settling in, I'll go down and have them install a frame mounted hitch. I am going to have them do a pre-inspection before the move on Friday. I was a little concerned that they would recommend towing 5k just using the bumper hitch.

Jim

Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Thanks for the advice. The ball came with the truck, and it seems to be mounted firmly. However, it does not even look like a 2" ball. So, I guess it will be fine for the moving trailer, and when I am done settling in, I'll go down and have them install a frame mounted hitch. I am going to have them do a pre-inspection before the move on Friday. I was a little concerned that they would recommend towing 5k just using the bumper hitch.

Jim
***** come in 1 7/8", 2"' and for heavier towing, 2 5/16. 2" being the most common by far. I think most every light trailer at u haul uses 2".

Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Yeah I was a bit surprised to see the 1 7/8" ball on the bumper. When I have them install the frame mounted hitch, I will upgrade to the 2" ball just for added peace of mind.

Jim

Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Making the long term investment in a reciever is the right choice. Be sure to get 7 pin and 4 pin connections at the same time.

then you can have your choice of hitchballs and adapters from rv places/walmart/lowes and the list goes one.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
.... and, as R2 said above, make sure that two-inch ball has a one-inch stud, not the smaller, 3/4-inch one.

Pop

Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks all for the advice. I know the 5k rating on the ball does not mean the hitch is rated for that, just the ball. That is why I asked the question. I did not think the bumper would be strong enough to handle a 5k tow. So when I get moved in, I'll make an appointment and get the frame mounted hitch installed with a 2 inch ball, and both 4 pin, and 7pin connectors. Thanks again for the advice.

Jim

Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-26-2013, 10:05 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

"aaahhh, good ol' FTE.

The wealth of misinformation around this place is epic."

Are you suggesting we have given nigheyez "misinformation"?
If so, please clarify where we steered him wrong?

I do, however, like the example you gave him as a type IV hitch recommendation.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
"aaahhh, good ol' FTE.

The wealth of misinformation around this place is epic."

Are you suggesting we have given nigheyez "misinformation"?
If so, please clarify where we steered him wrong?

I do, however, like the example you gave him as a type IV hitch recommendation.
it somthing one of my budys posted once in a jocke thread i like it so much i but it in my sig

Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 AM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OEM bumper on my '94 Bronco is rated at 4000lbs. according to the Owner's Manual and takes a 1" shank ball.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Interesting, I did not think the bumper would be strong enough for that. Still, the car I want to tow is 4k all by itself, so add that to the trailer it is sitting on, and I would be exceeding the limit. I will buy a frame mounted hitch, and have U-Haul install it, along with the 4 and 7 pin connections.

Jim

Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As in my user picture I have hauled a 6x12 recently with my truck. It has 3.08 rear end, 4r70w trans and the 4.2 v6. A friend at work calls it the "poor point 2 liter". For what it is its good on fuel economy and good for moderate towing. Rated around 4300 pounds. I have a bumper mounted Reese hitch. The trailer dry weight for a 6x12 is 2900 pounds. We put about 600 pounds in the trailer +/-. Was shocked it towed so well. Similar to my 88 f150 with a 302 and aod/3.08 gears. The big advantage was the wide ratio 4r70w trans and keeping it out of overdrive. The negatives were the 3.08 rear end and v6. I was mostly worried about the high rear end. Trailer towed easy and the automatic tongue powered hyd brakes worked fairly well. I could easily go 65 to 70 miles per hour at normal driving. But because of the bias ply tires one really shouldn't lol. That being said when funds allow o want to get a good condition used frame hitch from a friend. The u haul trailers allow 1 7/8 or two inch *****. You will be fine on bumper pull but the Reese hitch is a great investment. Broncos are excellent for towing. If you purchase that frame hitch and have to tow a car out of the ditch, or haul a car on a trailer you can do it comfortably. Not sure on the tow rating of your truck but I would think you could tow 5000 comfortably. Good luck on your trip!

Quick Reply: Bumper hitch