6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help! Degas bottle has allot of pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Arrowheadexpress
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Degas bottle has allot of pressure.

First of I'm new to this forum so hello everyone, iv been lurking for a while and already learnt allot. My truck is a 2004 f350 with around 170,000 KMS. I just bought this truck and about a day later I notice allot more pressure in the degas bottle after driving it then in my f450. I took it to a shop today and they die tested for gasses in the coolant and it had no color change but they were clueless about why it was building so much pressure, it also didn't bubble for about 3 minutes. I'm assuming the issue would be a clogged oil cooler but I'm new to diesel motors and no one around here is proving able to diagnose the issue and fix it by a reasonable date. Can I diagnose the oil cooler another way on my own? What are other possible problems that could cause this?

Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please clarify - why do you think your degas bottle has too much pressure? is it venting / outgassing?

Old 06-20-2013, 03:07 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Lots of easy stuff will cause PUKE

Wheres the Bubbles coming from??? Small Return Lines??

You need a ScanGaugeII or something to see all sensor with and to complete oil cooler test

Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
I had the same thing happen to me. Next day after buying my X, coolent out of the degas bottle. Had the cap tested at orielly's, it would almost hod 4lbs of pressure. New cap, and removed some of the coolent, so that the coolent level is at the min mark, issue resolved for the moment.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Arrowheadexpress
Freshman User
Sorry I'm new to this. It's only noticeably puked one day and about half a gallon. But that was the only day I actually drove it for long period of time and it was filled a little over the min line (new max) but only by a little. so I took it to a shop, they put die tester on it for testing exhaust gasses and they said it was bubbling allot more then normal but it didn't show any exhaust in the degas. It hasn't puked since also but it seem's to be allot of pressure still after down the street drives (compared to my 450 which is always being drove hard loaded) maybe I'm being paranoid but the trucks going on a 3,000km trip next week loaded. Also more information iv only owned the truck for a week And iv owned my 450 for about a year now.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is your 450 a 6.0?

The 6.0 has a lot of pressure in the degas normally.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Arrowheadexpress
Freshman User
I probably don't know enough on the truck yet I guess, ill take the truck to work tomorrow and try it loaded to see how it handles that and flush the coolant when I get home I noticed the coolant the previous owner used is green and iv been topping up with distilled water. I plan on bulletproofing this truck anyway tho so what's a good egr cooler and oil cooler to use, or would a delete be better I live in Canada and we're not to strict up here about egr deletes as far as I know.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Arrowheadexpress
Freshman User
And Yeah my 450 is a 2006 6.0 cab and chassis bone stock

Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
If your coolant is GREEN, you have problems!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Arrowheadexpress
Freshman User
I know green coolant isn't good but would it really cause allot? I drained some out of the rad a few minutes ago to see it and it looks like a lime green, I'm guessing previous owner topped up yellow with green. When I went to see the truck I checked it and it looked yellow at the time, but I didn't buy the truck until a week after a looked.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Arrowheadexpress
Freshman User
Is this normal, I started doing a coolant flush so the truck should be mostly full of water right now, when I drive it just short distances about half an hour away it builds probably even more pressure then befor, it's not puking but taking the cap of is physically hard it has so much pressure. It is not over filled and its not boiling but as soon as I take the cap of it flash boils. I compared this to my 450 after hauling 15,000lbs through hilly country with the fan kicking in often and that probably has half the pressure.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your going to need a new degus cap and make sure a new OEM thermostat too probably sticking , like benny has mentioned you need some gauges to read live data whats the EOT and ECT values when you see pressure build up?, and I see your doing a flush don't forget to drop the block plugs and take the thermo out flush real well then the last part will be Distilled water flushing to get tap water out around 20 gallons .

Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrowheadexpress
Is this normal, I started doing a coolant flush so the truck should be mostly full of water right now, when I drive it just short distances about half an hour away it builds probably even more pressure then befor, it's not puking but taking the cap of is physically hard it has so much pressure. It is not over filled and its not boiling but as soon as I take the cap of it flash boils. I compared this to my 450 after hauling 15,000lbs through hilly country with the fan kicking in often and that probably has half the pressure.
The degas bottle is supposed to be under pressure. That keeps the coolant from boiling at operating temps. When you take the cap off, the pressure drops and causes the coolant to flash boil.

Don't take the degas cap off while the truck is hot. Ever.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Arrowheadexpress
Freshman User
But should it really have that much pressure? When I take it of I twist it a little to let it de pressurize first. Then when it's not much I just take it of and it starts to bubble. Only reason I'm concerned is because it puked the day I got it, that made me start comparing pressure to my other truck, and it has a HUGE difference when I drive it to get groceries and I drive my 450 as hard as physically possible. About the gauges, is a shop able to bring up those figures on a scanner to get them faster? I don't know much about these trucks yet but I'm really not up for a head gasket at this moment in time so want to diagnose and fix any problems before it makes a big one. Also I am noticing its loosing about a L of coolant every night it sits, it's not smoking, it's being left cold topped up to min line and it is not leaving any wet patches. Another note. After googling the combustion gas testers I noticed they are supposed to have 2 cups and a pump to pull gas up, the one they used had just an open top and one cup, it bubbled for about 3 minutes and they said head gaskets were fine. Would that still even cut out head gasket doing it that way? Btw thanks everyone for the help so far. Just sucks when you put so much money into a truck then notice puke the moment it gets in the driveway.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Arrowheadexpress
Freshman User
And the reason for tight time frame is as i said I'm hauling a small trailer 2,000 kms this Friday and I would rather avoid driving my 1500 chev.

Quick Reply: Help! Degas bottle has allot of pressure.