1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

IH water pump filter, LOOK!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
IH water pump filter, LOOK!

Well folks, anybody in doubt of the need for a coolant filter? I bought the mare with 172K on it and when I did all the mods to it I put a IH water pump on it. I wasn't happy with the way it was staying cool so I thought I would do three things to it before taking off again. Change the clutch fan, drop the rubber protector thing on the bottom of the bumper down making a air scoop and change the filter. The filter your looking at has only 3,500 miles on it! The picture of my air scoop is terrible but maybe you can get the idea. I used bolts and a board creating a gap of a couple of inches to help get more air into the radiator, 6.0 trans cooler, IC, a ac condenser.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:39 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that thing is dirty. Makes me feel better now that i got mine on. They should of put these water pumps on there from factory like the buses.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Wow that thing is dirty. Makes me feel better now that i got mine on. They should of put these water pumps on there from factory like the buses.
I'm so close to ordering one and doing it but there various write-ups leave a lot to the imagination. Makes me nervous I'll get stuck. Guess I better go ahead though after seeig these pics.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Wow, that is nasty. I'm even more glad I have a filter now. I changed mine for the first time this winter but I didn't cut it open.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not hard at all just need some extra bolts a couple fittings and some hoses.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:33 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Ya Gabe & Darin, I'm also glad I put one on. I cut one open on the mule after 10K miles and it didn't look that bad. I hope that doesn't mean anything about the mare! Dan, Gabe is right, its just a matter of getting a few things together. The bolts I got at Lowe's, short stem thermostat, cummins lower radiator hose and a couple of fittings.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Godsarmy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glenn,
Wow! Now I want to install one on my rig! Does anyone sell a kit with everything needed? Where do you put the filter/housing at?
Thanks!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Godsarmy
Glenn,
Wow! Now I want to install one on my rig! Does anyone sell a kit with everything needed? Where do you put the filter/housing at?
Thanks!
There are a lot of kits out there and a lot of threads about installing one. The one I have is built into the International water pump. Doesn't matter, the important thing is to put one on, it saves you the trouble of changing out water pumps when the seal gets screwed up by junk in the system.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 AM
nomad221
Tuned
Holy cr*p Glenn! I need to read up on IH pumps.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Wow! That's some nasty stuff! I'm just curious, what did that stuff feel like? It doesn't look "gritty" it just looks like rust dust. Did you use distilled water when you filled the system? Again, just curious. I may need to move that mod up on my "to do" list... My biggest problem is that I have big plans and no money.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by nomad221
Holy cr*p Glenn! I need to read up on IH pumps.
It really doesn't have to be a IH pump, just a filter installed. I went thru a couple WP's on the mule before installing a filter and haven't had to replace one since.

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Wow! That's some nasty stuff! I'm just curious, what did that stuff feel like? It doesn't look "gritty" it just looks like rust dust. Did you use distilled water when you filled the system? Again, just curious. I may need to move that mod up on my "to do" list... My biggest problem is that I have big plans and no money.
I feels like rubbing compound, a little smooth but you can feel a fine grit in it. I always use distilled water. Big plans keep your mind active, your hands busy and your wallet empty, LOL. I'll probably go 7K more miles before getting back to AZ in Oct and will change it again. Now that I saw this I'll have to cut it open again, LOL!!

Gabe and whoever has a IH WP, when I turned the valve off and pulled the filter, coolant keep coming out at a trickle. Maybe there was some junk in the valve, IDK.

Any comments on my 'air scoop'?

Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I like the "Ram Air (Condidtioning)"! LOL!

I always assumed the intent of that flap was to force the air to go THROUGH the radiator and not to just flow out between the back of the bumper and the front of the "stack of cooling" that you have in there now. I guess as long as you're moving at sufficient speed, the airflow should be sufficient to keep the flow going through the radiator, but at lower speeds I would be worried that it would allow too much air to go out and around than through the radiator, trans cooler, intercooler, etc... I think closing off the sides might help. If you want another one of those rubber flaps to help close off the sides of the gap there, let me know. I found on in the loft the other day and was tempted to toss it, but for now it's just sitting up there collecting dust. You can have it for the price of shipping if you want it.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I did this 'Ram Air' mod on the mule a long time ago and never did have any temp issues. The only time it would run up a little in temps would be on a hard pull. You make a very interesting point about closing off the sides to help direct the flow. I'll take a look at that today. Really all that's different is the front of the rubber flap is lowered a couple of inches, the sides are the same for the most part. Maybe a little bit of extra rubber on the sides will help direct the flow. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Dan, Gabe is right, its just a matter of getting a few things together. The bolts I got at Lowe's, short stem thermostat, cummins lower radiator hose and a couple of fittings.
OK - took the plunge today and ordered my waterpump. Hope to get it in before the end of June. Thanks for the nudge.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mjunk1
OK - took the plunge today and ordered my waterpump. Hope to get it in before the end of June. Thanks for the nudge.
IIRC Glenn has his write up and there are some good links that can help you a lot

Quick Reply: IH water pump filter, LOOK!