2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Might go Excursion shopping

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:19 PM
LocDoc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are aware that some owners have had issues with the 6.0 Power Stroke.

I personally don’t have any connection to that engine, but it was largely engineered and supplied by Navistar (International), not Ford.

The 6.7 Power Stroke was designed all in-house at Ford, so any problems with that engine rest with us and us alone.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:23 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LocDoc
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

The Suburban 2500 is discontinued for both civilian and fleet markets. Its also been redacted (cut from) the civilian Chevrolet website.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I didn’t know I was a "talking head". I must say your cynical opinions are unfounded. Degrading hard-working engineers by saying they don’t have the necessary wisdom. If you have doctorate in mechanical & automotive engineering, please submit a resume to us.

Diesel fuel prices are steadily increasing; one result of smaller cars heading in the diesel direction. Currently, highway diesel costs more per-gallon than unleaded gasoline. Supply and demand.

Also the new Expedition and F-150 must meet the new government fuel economy standards that go into effect in 2016. Dropping close to 700 lbs in weight should help the cause.

An Expedition Hybrid with parallel electric-drive is on the way, as are other methods for increasing fuel efficiency, while offering high towing capability. Diesel is being considered, but if fuel prices keep climbing, then you can write that off.

Ford cannot control fuel prices; we just try to fight them by offering customers the best solution for the moment. We change as the market changes.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Oops hit a nerve. Be still grasshopper... and pay attention.

First don't be offended by what you are, even if the talking points you express don't resonated with everyone. We all have opinions and your expressing the one Ford has... That's your job so do it with conviction.

My resume is Nuclear... sorry it doesn't apply in an automotive forum.

A Cynic often is young and educated but lacks knowledge obtained by experience= real world. Therefore I think you have it backwards... but that just my opinion. I expressed a willingness to see, and a commitment to buy, if Ford can deliver on their talking points. I don't think they can based on the past.... and everyone knows the best predictor of the future is the past, so my opinions are formed based on experience... not hope and change. You on the other hand are standing firm against experience and unwilling to acknowledge real world examples... that's being cynical.

Diesel electric traction motor hybrid make lots of sense.... kinda like Locomotives... but Lithium batteries are expensive and can be unsafe.... and that's not an opinion. Once battery technology catches up we'll have something to talk about regarding hybrids.

Clean Diesel powered vehicles, while at an economic disadvantage at the pump, are finding more acceptance. Just imagine what that market would become with NG or Propane as the fuel of choice? Hmmmm.... but I digress.

When you carry the kool-aid to a forum and try and pass it around your gonna get some takers ... but not me... I'm drinking beer.

Move along.... nothing for your here.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 PM
thinksnow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to go grab a soda and some popcorn, this should be good.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 PM
thinksnow
Tuned
Some owners have had issues, yea and Cherynobyl was a minor leak. LOL

Old 08-07-2013, 04:55 PM
LocDoc
New User
Originally Posted by DavenTn
Oops hit a nerve. Be still grasshopper... and pay attention.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I’m not here to argue with anyone or sway anyone’s opinions. I’m here to relay information about the new Expedition as some users were asking about details. This is on my time, not Ford's.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> If my information is not wanted, then my services here are done.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 PM
thinksnow
Tuned
Wait......is there any large SUV more capable then the expedition el on the drawing board? That is the root cause of my concerns. If not I need to find a plan B

Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM
sgf
New User
Newbie here...

I've now read through 6 threads where DaveTN posted in....LocDoc, you are in a no-win situation. I am by no means a frequent forum guy, but I have seen guys like DaveTN before in the only other forum I posted in. Dont get me wrong, I'm sure he is a smart guy, but you will NEVER be able to win him over. Guys like him like to lob arrogance over the keyboard and have a laugh when newbies respond attempting to defend to themselves.

LocDoc, I am assuming that you are a Ford guy and have found your posts very interesting. Friendly word of advice, keep to the facts and leave it at that. Don't respond to him. It keeps the threads shorter anyway!

Old 08-08-2013, 04:08 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Take a red pill next time.Reality is tough and the world is a market place of ideas, debates and truth.

... just sayin'

Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 PM
eveready77
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LocDoc; I agree that Diesel fuel costs are climbing but gasoline prices are climbing as well. My wife drives an Expedition EL and I drive a Dodge 2500 with a Cummins in it. I jumped ship from a super duty due to the problematic 6.0. I said all that to say this. Diesel seems to me to be a very viable fuel option due to the fact that you can get so much more "bang for your buck" or per gallon. I can see Fords point about governmental regulations on emissions but also see and feel the consumers want/need for a large suv that is as capable as the Excursion or 3/4 suburban. We have a growing family and are pressing the limits of the crew cab 3/4 ton truck but as stated before the current offerings from ANY of the manufactures leave us all wanting for more when it comes to large suv's. Just my two cents, and thank you for your knowlege and contributions to this forum.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:44 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Looks like Nissan is gonna use some market wisdom in their 1/2 ton and in the god awful ugly NV. Nissan and Cummins will be teaming up to offer a 5.0 ltr V-8 turbo diesel making 300 hp and 500 ft lbs of torque.

Will the real Ford... the market leader of innovation, please step forward.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 AM
eveready77
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the real Ford... the market leader of innovation, please step forward.
You hit the nail on the head here. I have been a Ford buyer since I was 16. They scared me off when they put the p.o.s. 6.0 and 6.4 power joke Diesels out and I bought a Cummins Ram. Now the issues we have seen with the 5.4l tritons and other various drivetrain issues have burnt me on our Expedition. I'm waiting for them (Ford) to wake up and maybe one day gain my trust back for their new trucks. Until then I'll stick with my older Fords as they can't be beat in my opinion.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
You know America, in general... wants Ford to be the success story within the automotive industry. The brand fits, and Ford's self-reliance resonates with us. But... it seems they're much better at marketing and no longer the innovator. <O</O

I would love to see Ford create a culture where it's okay to make mistakes as long as you're doing the right thing. Not everything works out the first time - that's a part of life. As long as you can learn something from your mistakes - I'm cool with it. I would rather you try and fail than not try at all.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 AM
gpfarrell
Senior User
...no longer the innovator. <O</O
You've seen that Cadillac is offereing a twin-turbo V6 in some 2014 models now right?

Lincoln & Ford have had it since 2010.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:33 PM
thinksnow
Tuned
The only drive train issue Ive had on our 07 Expy EL is the f'ing exhaust manifolds. Is there otheres, besides the spark plugs being the obvious. I still haven't bougth an excursion although its still on my radar. My issue with Ford is the made the Expy EL not much more then a glorified minivan. I want it to lean more towards being a truck. The tell you it can tow 9,000 lbs or whatever the number is; or it can seat 7 or 8 people comfortably but IT CAN'T DO BOTH. Even if you buy one of newer ultra light travel trailer, after you fill the propane tanks, put food and clothes in the trailer (no liquids, too much weight) and put the kids in the truck. You are now over the gross axle weight of the rear axle if not over the GVW completely. As for the 5.4 it barely has enough power to move the expedition itself. Put any kind of load on it and it completely s***s the bed. Ford needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Come up with a more stout V8 and a diesel V6 or straight 6 for the 1/2 ton platformed trucks. If I wanted a minivan I would have bought one.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by gpfarrell
You've seen that Cadillac is offereing a twin-turbo V6 in some 2014 models now right?

Lincoln & Ford have had it since 2010.
...and how does this refute my point. Just because Ford does something before GM "today", that does not make Ford the "innovator" they once were. Ford excited the WHOLE automotive community in the past. They were the company to watch, made young people get excited and old folks wish they were young.

Oh, and by the way... turbo's were first introduced in 1962 by Oldsmobile in cars and dual chargers were put into vehicles in 1986 by Porsche (taxing my memory now). So how does that fit into your BS?

...just sayin'

Quick Reply: Might go Excursion shopping