Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

JUNE 2013 "Welcome To Summer" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still immobile - but that sounds like a good idea.

I cleared the rest of the weeds that got ahead of me for lack of yard equipment, but jack frost will be required before I can even get close to the trees I felled

I - (and I dunno how you will take this without thinking I am running some kind of a "PARTY HOUSE", even though it is just me here) at the close of the day in summer, especially on a friday night, I like to do my final yard patrol to look around and police things up with music at the loudest my present GARAGE amp can stand while I check to be sure everything is right and tight.

No fuel cans where they can be stolen, and everything secured

Tonight was Bonnie Raitt, and I don't care what anyone says - the Lady has a voice like a Tabby kitten, and just makes me want to purr all inside....

So that was my "SUNDOWN music"

"Don't worry baby - ain't nothin' new! That's just love sneaking up on you..."

I love that Ladies voice!

Biker type music and the blues have always attracted me anyhow. Besides, In reality I HAVE NO Lady right now, it's kind of like being on cruise.
I brought my Ladies with me on compact disc, just so that I could hear their voices

CLINTSTER: I like keeping half gallon containers around that I can fill with; a) Water b) Water and some lemon and salt - to replace what is lost in sweat

I saw a ducumentary once on the building of the Brooklynn Bridge - in it they contacted a man who used to bring water to the troops working on it ( he was a very old colored man by then) - and he said:
"Don't drink no water, 'less it have lemon, and salt"

I took that for real, and have kept that wisdom ever since

~So I pass it on to you. The lemon makes sense, it has vitamin C

The salt is an obvious...

The amount used was probably not noticeable

Both of those being water soluable can wash out of the body and need replenishing

HEALTH to you!

PS: I found while playing with the idea that just the right mix of water, salt, and lemon - if you closed your eyes was indistinguishable from the flavor of BUTTERMILK, which I love!
But I recommend using "LITE SALT" which substitutes Potassium Chloride for actual salt

Potassium, as a sports freak can tell you - is essential for the liberation of energy

*From my nutrition notes of long ago

Frankly - I hope this helps every single one of us survive the heat

PPS: Beware of anything like "SUNNY D", which is nothing but colored water with sugar in it. Get real Orange juice. I know the difference because I grew up with Orange trees in my Poppas backyard
We always juiced our own!

Old 06-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I just spent nearly $70 on a HAT online.

An Indiana Jones felt Fedora

I WANTED MINE BACK!
I don't know what to say about that - but I had one, and it seriously expresses me

Call me stupid - but don't call after seven at night

~Wolf

* A hat is forever
In either case the thing is on its way

(it's part of my recovery) -
I WILL stand tall again

Old 06-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Weather report from Memphis Tennessee
Precipitation: zero, except what runs out of everyones pores
Heat: Miserable
Heat Factor: Inexpressable
Forecast: A truckload more of the same

That having been said - I managed to be out of doors all day - I had stuff to do. I did fall short of my standing goal of drinking at least a gallon of water today

Stuff happens, gotta git up - gotta go

PS: I have word now that the skinhead I mentioned earlier is living in and potentially involved in a crack house - though I will if questioned deny any such knowlege
It explains a lot though - doesn't it?

*I have to protect my sources

Old 06-22-2013, 11:19 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greywolf
CLINTSTER: I like keeping half gallon containers around that I can fill with; a) Water b) Water and some lemon and salt - to replace what is lost in sweat

I saw a ducumentary once on the building of the Brooklynn Bridge - in it they contacted a man who used to bring water to the troops working on it ( he was a very old colored man by then) - and he said:
"Don't drink no water, 'less it have lemon, and salt"

I took that for real, and have kept that wisdom ever since

~So I pass it on to you. The lemon makes sense, it has vitamin C

The salt is an obvious...

The amount used was probably not noticeable

Both of those being water soluable can wash out of the body and need replenishing

HEALTH to you!

PS: I found while playing with the idea that just the right mix of water, salt, and lemon - if you closed your eyes was indistinguishable from the flavor of BUTTERMILK, which I love!
But I recommend using "LITE SALT" which substitutes Potassium Chloride for actual salt

Potassium, as a sports freak can tell you - is essential for the liberation of energy

*From my nutrition notes of long ago

Frankly - I hope this helps every single one of us survive the heat

PPS: Beware of anything like "SUNNY D", which is nothing but colored water with sugar in it. Get real Orange juice. I know the difference because I grew up with Orange trees in my Poppas backyard
We always juiced our own!
Dutch, that Brooklyn guy may have cracked the GATORADE formula years before they started making it. Because that is the exact formula Gatorade uses, Water, citrus and salt.

Also, I know all about OJ! I'm what my fiancé calls, an "orange juice snob" , I hate made from concentrate junk. If it isn't 100% pure OJ, it's not in our fridge. Simply Orange is hat usually sits in the fridge

-The Great

Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Monday morning to everyone! Looks like a couple of you were busy and on-line over the weekend. I was busy, but not on-line.

Mowed the estate grounds Saturday morning....and then harvested my apricots. I gathered about 2-3 bushels.

Sunday, I spent all day processing apricots. I ended up with 18 pints of canned apricots and 26 1/2 pints of apricot butter. Should last me until next month, anyway.

After 11 hours of standing on my feet in the kitchen yesterday, this chair at work feels pretty good. Hope everyone has a great start to the work week.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
The rear tire from the front-end loader I got and cut the sidewalls out of is the refuge I have set up for some of my surviving Yukon Gold potato's - I found when reading the label on the bags that the cat litter I have been using as a sub for vermiculite is "Pelletised Clay" - which is interesting. It make break down into common clay, a thing I wondered where I could get. Technically, we want 1/3 sand, 1/3 silt (which is what this dirt is), and 1/3 clay...
EUREKA!!!!

*The mix right now is two bags of potting soil to one bag of litter

That means I may have to eventually add sand or gravel to the mix, but at this point I can stick my hands right down into it and shovel it by hand...

The more loose it is - the better the roots and eventual spuds can spread out and form

SOIL TEXTURE is key - as I have mentioned before. It will indeed be interesting to see what happens now.

I also wacked a number of shrubs, and intend to pull them up. My plans include areas outside the bedroom windows that will be small gardens in their own right, with the shrubs spaced at least ten feet out. The bushes were right next to the walls of the house, and opening up a space like that presents a number of possibilities

To get them out of the ground I want to cut them down close enough to put a chain around them and use my engine "cherry picker" to pull them up roots and all. It is possible that they can be put somewhere else if they survive the trip...

4PM, puppies are both inside. It's 95 out. They need a break

I'm trying very hard to do some forgetting as a result of another thread in another forum. Things I did my best to forget - and will have to once again. Trouble is that the harder I try - the more I remember
It's likely going to take a few days to get over, but I will

Before I joined the military my life sucked, and it still hurts

I just keep telling myself:
"The sky is blue, Water is wet, Grass is green... Stuff happens"

I have old problems, and sometimes they make me cry. But tears help us get over crap like that

It would be wrong for me not to walk through it once in a while - I guess this was the day for me to be reminded.......

Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
WHY ?
I asked the stars, and they said nothing
So I asked the ground -
And all the dirt did was get wet with my tears.....
I looked at the fire,
And all it did was flicker - as if I asked a stupid question
I asked the sea - and it rolled endlessly
So I pissed on all of them!

And then I walked on...

Was I wrong?

~Wolfie

Umm - Clint? You have never seen me write like this before, it isn't often that I do this anymore

It only happens on rare occasions

EDIT: The above speaks to a feeling we may get sometimes that we are all on our own - and no one is helping. That is a very lonely feeling indeed.
I see that now

At the time I was very depressed, and needed to let it out

Old 06-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I may have burned a bridge earlier today that was well worth lighting on fire. I told the chick who lived next door to me what I really thought - that she was one way, and cheap. That she thought every one else existed to give her all the help on earth for free, and wouldn't **** on someone else if they were on fire, unless they offered to pay money...

Last I heard she was still smoking....

Oh well, A friend like that is not a friend

It's the same one who wanted to send Woola to the pound

Old 06-25-2013, 07:58 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master

Maybe down to 6....?

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

Last edited by macgiobuin; 06-25-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Wrong day.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I made HALF amends today - asked if she was still mad - DID NOT apologise.

But I did say that with what I have been through in the last week and a half out in the heat, it isn't any wonder I snapped. She should have never ragged at me for my language. That is what triggered it all. We were looking at a lawn tractor of theirs with a crank case full of gasoline - and I cussed

(I have seen that before. Failed float needle, added to by an anti deiseling solenoid that let the tank empty through the carb)

Stupid design! Every lawn tractor should have a fuel cutoff valve you can turn off by hand. It takes the load off of the float, needle, and seat and is the first modification I always make on one

THE ONLY PURPOSE of the electric solenoid under the float bowl on a small engine is to ensure the main jet no longer feeds mixture into the engine if it is too hot, or the fuel is of such a low octane that it continues to run on when the key is off. A shutoff valve keeps it from being under constant pressure, so it lasts longer. It is also a safety, and makes it a piece of cake to swap out the fuel filter

After everything I have been through, I absolutely will not tolerate a female of the species who gets in my face in any way shape or form

I just won't

Not unless she earns her own keep, and thus by contributing is a full partner.

I seem to be becoming more southern than I thought...

Most of the local boys around here would not put up with that from either their own ladies, or anyone elses. If she could not handle it, I guess she should have got out of the driveway.
~I think her man thought it was funny - he walked with me at the time so I could show him what a shutoff valve looked like installed on both of mine

Heat make people insane anyhow - I swear I was ready to take someones head off at the knee that day. God help us all, I don't want to even think what August is going to be like

I've gotta get out of here before I DO go crazy

Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Wolf, sounds like a cold towel would be immensely helpful to you. There is a new product take on the towel-behind-the-neck that is supposed to work wonders on the hot and bothered.

Amazon.com: Chill-Its 6602 Cooling Towel, Blue: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Chill-Its 6602 Cooling Towel, Blue: Home Improvement

I'm thinking of getting one myself---before the neighbor lady comes over, hopefully.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I had to quit on the truck earlier today - I may have to borrow an extra set of hands from across the street. (UP my own street is where hassle lady lives. In the other direction, well... That's the guy who loaned me his Jeep to go parts shopping with. Totally different story)

It was good that I hid inside - I got a call from "Fedora's.com" - it seems I managed to totally screw up the address lines for the hat I ordered. Funny too - I thought it was going to be a call from another Skyrim gamer, so I grabbed up the phone and said:
"JELLO! Pick your favorite flavor..."

I guess the heat must have melted something important between my ears, I'm just glad I didn't snap when I was online and had a lot worse to answer for.

There's a song by John Fogerty on the album "Blue Moon Swamp" where he says:

"Heat will make you crazy - 'least that's what the old men say..."

I believe that!

FULL LYRICS:

A Hundred and Ten in the Shade

Way out here in the cotton
Sun beatin' down so hard
Sweat rollin' of this shovel
Diggin' in the devil's bone yard
Sure like a cool drink of water
Soft rag to soothe my face
Sure like a woman to talk to in this place

It's a hundred and ten
Hundred and ten in the shade
Goin' way down
Mama won't you carry me

Handle so hot I can't stand it
Might shrivel up and blow away
Noonday sun make you crazy
Least, that's what the old men say

Bottom land hard as a gravestone
Couldn't cut it with an axe
Gonna lay me down right here
And that's a fact

It's a hundred and ten
Goin' way down
Mama won't you carry me

Sometimes late in the evenin'
Everything is quiet and still
I set here and think about leavin'
Lord, I guess I never will
Heartache down in that city
Bright light scares me anyway
Sure like a woman to talk in this place

It's a hundred and ten
Goin' way down
Mama won't you carry me

~It has the unmistakeable sound of Creedence Clearwater too...
You should check out that album, you will love it.

It is some of the best new blues music I have heard in a long time, he's a Louisianna boy

Look here:
http://www.johnfogerty.com

Old 06-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
From what I saw on his website - John Fogerty is going to appear on the TONIGHT SHOW with Jay Leno tonight - 26th of June, and do a song from his new album "Wrote a Song for Everyone"

If that is a kind of music you love and enjoy - you don't want to miss that

~Wolf out

Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 AM
macgiobuin
Cargo Master
Good Thursday Morning.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Well I don't guess anything much will happen outside today - I bet south of here in Byhalia it's a mess. Rain pouring down like a hurricane in Miama - tops of pines across the field from me pointing in the direction everything went. Lightning so bad at times the whole sky crackles with it....

I'm thinking I won't have to water anything for at least a week or so.

Woola took one look outside the door this morning and stood aside while I let my labrador Rufuss in.

~So much for the red dog of Mars!

I expect I'll have downed pecan branches to pick up out back. But just maybe it will be cooler out for a while, even if the humidity runs sky high

I me am going to go curl up with a book

Quick Reply: JUNE 2013 "Welcome To Summer" Thread