1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Super-Cab Long Bed body alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Super-Cab Long Bed body alignment issues

I bought a 2012 F250 Super Duty Scorpion SRW LB 4X4 on 1-5-2013
After a few days of having the truck I finally got a call 1 week later for my complimentary bed liner and all weather floor mats.
I went in last Tuesday (exactly 1 week ago today) and had the liner installed.
The tech stripped 3 of the tailgate threads with the bolts and his MAC air ratchet. I then drove to the dealer again and had my bed tailgate replaced from one on the dealer lot. The service manager also gave me a full tank of gas.The day after I also discovered the handle was not properly seated into the sheet metal because he did not position it properly when tightening the 2 bolts after swapping the lock cylinder/tumbler. They gave me a free oil change for another car since I bought 7yr warranty 500+ top tier and the 7 years maintenance packages for this truck.

The day they replaced my tailgate and evidence of the "Thread and Bolt Head Murders" weapon, THE MAC AIR RATCHET!

About 5 days later (1-18-2013) I then discovered a rattling sound from the back of my truck. I jumped into my bed box to inspect things and this is is what I discovered.

Bolt heads rounded off from use of air ratchet. Bolts not completely bolted in, removed bolts to discover stripped threads, you can see evidence from the paint thats stripped from the bolt head spinning around on the loop. Red liquid thread lock was also discovered on the threads of the bolt, installer must have used to make the bolts stick since the threads were gone. I am sure he knew what he did and said nothing, same story with the tailgate bolts when he installed the liner.

Here is a photo of the passenger side and the mismatched bolts and again rounded off bolt heads, I did not bother to check the threads because I am almost certian those are stripped also. the mis-matched bolts also have different numbers cast into them which probably mean they have different threads

Also upon further inspection I discovered the bed liner was trimmed on the right side exposing more of the bed then the drivers side which was not tampered with. Did they give me a bed liner someone did not want from their junk pile?

here is a close up of the HACK job!

Then I also went out and noticed this!

The bed box is slightly higher then the cab! WHAT?!?!
The lines do not match up perfectly like the passenger side!

\It looks like it's pushed up and in from long view.

even Abslayer confirmed on his F350 SC LB FX4 has the same issue!
Everyone with a Super-Cab Long Bed go check the drivers side and see if it is higher then the CAB! PLEASE were many of these cars sold this way with crooked lines?

Here is another photo I charted some reference points
The day after I bought the car 1-6-2013

Am I in the freaking TWILIGHT ZONE or something?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're not imagining the bed alignment issue. Theres a lot of slop in about all of them. Yours is particularly noticeable. Mine looked crooked from the rear back in 09, dealer said it was normal slop.
I loosened all of the giant TORX bolts in the bed floor (T50 iirc) and a few buddies and I pushed it into place then tightened them down and its better. Ford uses some kind of frame clip nut and there's a fair amount of play when they're loose. Be careful pushing on the sheet metal, its only a little thicker than aluminum foil.
As far as gunning the bed bolts, he should have used a ratchet. I just had my tires done at Discount Tire and they snapped 8! wheel studs removing the aftermarket wheels. Off to a nearby mechanic for new studs and lugnuts (on thier dime) and 6 hours later finally got the truck back. Some nuts and bolts simply shouldnt be removed by gunning. I cant imagine why the moron (mine or yours) kept going after the first strip or break.
At minimum I'd tell the dealer to retap all of the affected areas but only after trying to get a new bed out of them first. The locktite clearly shows the tech was aware of the problem.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 AM
abslayer
Junior User
Talk to dealer again about this problem with box higher on driver side.

They now say it is the fault of people who did spray in box liner and that when they removed

giant TORX bolts in the bed floor they may not of reinstalled them correct.

Something is not right here as I would think anyone could screw these bolts back in after spraying bed liner.

Sounds like the old pass the buck

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
I have 900 miles on my car and will be 1000 miles when i reach the dealer today. The box has never been removed and I have a drop in liner so no way someone except the builders or dealer could have done this.
I'll see what happens today but I will only tap and drill if they give me the box value worth in accessories. Update when I get home later!

Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 AM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Bad News Bears, this sorta reminds me of that old movie but will these misfits succeed? I feel their coach but can I do it?!
Check out my Journal for update!
Last Post:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12747364

Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM
abslayer
Junior User
Ok had a meeting with ford dealer onbox higher on driver side.

All agreed it was out 3/8” and was told it looked like a mismanagement or out of line metal press attime of manufacturer.

And here is there answer Ford is not going to replace the box even if it was made 3/8” higher on driverside.

They could add washers on pas side to bring it up and then none of the box molding would line up.

I can't believe it this day of modern manufacturer of parts that ford got this that far out.

Makes me wonder what else is screwed up from this kind of quality control.

Not a very happy camper right now.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 AM
abslayer
Junior User
Ok E-mail them today and will see what they say.

Reportto Ford e-mail Jan 29 2013
Ihave a 2012 f350 Long box with 2200 k on it .

AndI have a issue with truck box being about 3/8” higher on driversside which makes the side panel lines out of line and on back window area one can see that this truck box is not build right.

Does not look very good to say the least.

The panel lines on passenger side is right on.

Had truck at dealer Wednesday Jan 28 and they looked at box spacing under truck and determent it was fine.

And came to the concussion truck box was manufacturer incorrectly with one side of truck box higher than the other about 3/8” which threw out the lines on side of truck.

So asked what is Ford dealer ship going to do about this and was told they could lifed with one side of box so it would look right on back window but them both side panel lines would be out along with paint and trim on passenger side of truck would no longer line up.

And so I said it is obvious that truck box was not manufacturer correct that it needs to be replace.

And here is where we hit the wall I was told NO Ford would not replace box and I would have to live with it.

Now if this is true this is not acceptable on a NEW TRUCK with only 2200kon it.

Why should I have to but up with this lack of quality control from ford and have my truck box so out of line a blind man could see it.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:04 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
abslayer,

If you need help elevating your issue, contact "@FordService" on Twitter. Send them a private message and they can help you get in contact with your regional manager.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:51 AM
JimPat
Senior User
Guys - not to be a jerk, but why all the drama?? You appear to be really worrying about this. If you like the truck, keep it. You got some good "stuff' for a slight alignment issue that doesn't impact the utility of the truck. If you don't like the truck, get rid of it.

I get that we all paid a whole lot of money for these trucks - I'm in the Army and don't have a whole lot to toss at it but I still bought it and am quite happy (so far) with what the truck does for me. It is a tool. To let something like this twist your panties to the point where you are losing sleep just isn't healthy.

I wish you luck in this but it appears Ford is doing a good thing with you and yet it doesn't seem to be "enough". I question whether anything will ever be 'enough" for you in this situation.

I say this NOT to be a jerk, nor to ridicule you or your purchase....it just seems that you are 6 pages into this and are really quite upset.

You aren't sleeping in the mud. Nobody is shooting at you. You are amongst friends and family. Life is good - don't let this stuff get to you like this. Don't let it have this much power over you.

I hope this all works out for you and to your satisfaction.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 PM
abslayer
Junior User
[quote=2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4;12781604]I just got a call back frommy CSM at the dealer.

I also been in contact with @FordService on Twitter.

The bed alignment issue is through warranty so I can claim on thatany time in the next 7 years they said but I'm going to make my firstattempt once I get the accessories. If alignment does not cure themis-alignment I can push for a brand new, properly welded/straightbed box within the first 18 months of ownership. All I am thinking is"please just get it right so I can keep the truck!".

Just how would they drop the drivers side of the box to do as they said ((alignment))as mine is setting on frame and yours will be also.

My dealer said he could raise pas. side of box to make it line up with back window but then I would have both sides of truck panel line3/8” high.

That is my choice

Just makes me angry at this I hope it is my dealer and not Ford who makes this call.

But my dealer told me Ford would not replace box Don't know if this is them talking Or Ford Canada now I e-mail ford still no response from them.

May have to give them a call but something needs to be done.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:27 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Originally Posted by abslayer
Just how would they drop the drivers side of the box to do as they said ((alignment))as mine is setting on frame and yours will be also.

My dealer said he could raise pas. side of box to make it line up with back window but then I would have both sides of truck panel line3/8” high.

That is my choice

Just makes me angry at this I hope it is my dealer and not Ford who makes this call.

But my dealer told me Ford would not replace box Don't know if this is them talking Or Ford Canada now I e-mail ford still no response from them.

May have to give them a call but something needs to be done.

Yup, I checked out under the bed and there is no space for it to lower, only be raised. I totally understand you but we must go through the steps first. I am going to let the dealer give it a try then of course "fail" to document it. Then they can call Ford Engineer hotline to make them aware of the problem and order me a brand new, straight welded, bed box. I'll keep you updated here on how my bed alignment issues go.

I did say to the dealer I hope I am not asking to much a all I want is a brand new car and they are on my team. So far they have done everything in their powers to rectify the issues and i commend them because yes I am a little harder to please then others but don't hate me guys for holding people/companies to a higher standard. You guys will only reap the benefits of tighter, nicer fitting cars from FORD in the future.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 PM
abslayer
Junior User
On phone with ford Canada right now We will see if Ford stands behind there truck

Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
On phone with ford Canada right now We will see if Ford stands behind there truck
You should be in good hands depending who you are speaking with.
Just stay calm and courteous and you should receive the same

Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
abslayer
Junior User
Ford Canada while I was on phone with them contacted my dealer and talk and then told me they would do nothing for fixing this factory mistake.

As it was not a mechanical problem but a minor cosmetic.

Told them about what they were doing for you in USA and you know what they said well I don't know how things are done there but in Canada we will not fix this.

CAN YOU FICKEN believe this.

Buying Ford after all the warnings I got from other GMC and Dodgedealers and different people that they would NOT stand behind there truck and me not believing this WAS BIGGEST MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE

This truck will be gone before next snow fall as I do not need a monster mechanical problem that they also will not fix.

And I will now add my voice to warning anyone wanting to buy FORD

Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
2012F250SUPERDUTY4X4
Senior User
Ford Canada while I was on phone with them contacted my dealer and talk and then told me they would do nothing for fixing this factory mistake.

As it was not a mechanical problem but a minor cosmetic.

Told them about what they were doing for you in USA and you know what they said well I don't know how things are done there but in Canada we will not fix this.

CAN YOU FICKEN believe this.

Buying Ford after all the warnings I got from other GMC and Dodgedealers and different people that they would NOT stand behind there truck and me not believing this WAS BIGGEST MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE

This truck will be gone before next snow fall as I do not need a monster mechanical problem that they also will not fix.

And I will now add my voice to warning anyone wanting to buy FORD
I am sorry to hear of your experience. I still love my Ford truck and it is a slight body mod, If you are really not happy you might look into legal council on your specific situation. Again was your ford from the Kentucky plant?
I will keep you updated on my situation as it gets handled through the different levels of management.
For now all I can say is stay calm, don't badmouth them, you did buy it because you liked it. I understand being pissed, I worry more about staying calm and collected in these times and just post my frustrations about certain issues but you may have to take it further. Did you speak to the Regional CSR? Did you stay in contact with Trina or Ellen @FordService on twitter? I think you should share your experience with them to see what can be done now that you have been "snuffed" as I put it. Did you give them a bad attitude when you showed brought the issue to their attention? Did you overly project your dissatisfaction to them? All these things matter on how people decide to help or not. I always make sure I treat them with up-most respect and attitude over the phone and in person.

Quick Reply: 2012 Super-Cab Long Bed body alignment issues