1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Honoring Those Who Gave All

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 290 Likes on 200 Posts
Honoring Those Who Gave All

My fathers' generation is often referred to as " The Greatest Generation ". And so they are.

I have always felt that my, as well as successive generations, need to sit up and take notice of this fast-fading example of what real men can aspire to, before they are all gone.

But, in reality, the humble attitude of men who quietly did what needed be done , without fanfare, and for the simple reason that it was the right thing to do - is not restricted to any one period of history. I have personally seen this in the past few years while working in both Iraq and Afghanistan. But heroes of every conflict, and in each era fill our memories and our cemeteries. We owe them all a debt that we have no hope of being able to repay. The older one grows, the clearer this fact becomes, or at least it should become.

As many of us will be enjoying some of this weekend with family and friends, we have to keep this one fact clear in our minds, and teach it to our children - That freedom never has been free, there is always a steep cost associated with it. They need to see us honoring our dead, or else, as time proceeds, the real meaning of the day becomes more obscured. It is not just a family barbecue, it is a time for honoring the dead, thanking God for these unassuming heroes who simply did their jobs, with future generations in mind.

And we can take a bit of time to thank the ones who did return, because they need to hear that their efforts are recognized, appreciated, and make them living heroes in our eyes. One FTE member, Transam525, a.k.a. Dustin, has done at least two deployments that I am aware of, likely more. He has my gratitude.

Last week, I met a man whose son has done 5 MiddleEast deployments, and he's praying that this son, just shy of his 20 years as a helicopter pilot, is not called upon for yet another tour.That is a dangerous job, and he wants his son home, to be able to raise his own children after his approaching military retirement. Twenty years of bucking the odds, with many of his friends/co-warriors not making it, takes a toll, on both the soldier, and the ones who are at home.

So, this weekend, decorate a grave. Thank a soldier/sailor/airman. Make a public statement. Attend a Memorial Day Parade, or Service. Thank God.

And then, in front of the kids, talk about the real meaning of the day, while enjoying the steaks, hamburgers and potato salad which we are alive to enjoy on this day, because of the efforts of heroes.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for starting this tread Buzz.
I fully agree we should not forget those who have honorably stood and those who have fallen for our country. I have not had that honor, however I will always hold those who have in the highest regard.
Thank you to those who have and do serve my United Sates of America.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 616 Likes on 552 Posts
Here, Here! We will forever be in their debt. Many will never realize the price that has been paid.