6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

My 2013 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
I agree with you jbrianas the torqshift aka 5r110 is an excellent shifting trans always in the right gear and with modest pressure on the go pedal you could change gears. This 6 speed trans just seems to take power away from the engine. I was thinking about ordering a 6.7 Diesel but it has the same trans so that option is out. Still want the V10 but maybe will be looking at 6.4's.
Have you tried a 6.7/ 6R140 combo yet? If it were me, I would look around locally for a used one "broken in with miles" for a test drive. This way you can feel the differences between the two rides once broken in.

Good Luck!

Old 07-31-2013, 05:48 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just don't like the 6 speed.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Fair enough. I get it. When I was looking around, I did find V10 5R110 combo. My wife and I thought the truck had some really awesome power. Unfortunately, the truck needed some work but not worth what the dealer was asking.

Good Luck with everything. Finding a V10 should be pretty easy cause you are looking in the 08-10 range correct? Hopefully you find a good one to boot.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:16 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
I need a dually which are harder to find. I did find one over 700 miles from my house, not ready to go that far yet.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 AM
14&Ford
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with you jbrianas the torqshift aka 5r110 is an excellent shifting trans always in the right gear and with modest pressure on the go pedal you could change gears. This 6 speed trans just seems to take power away from the engine. I was thinking about ordering a 6.7 Diesel but it has the same trans so that option is out. Still want the V10 but maybe will be looking at 6.4's.

I have a 2v v10, I love it. it has plenty of power for my boat camper set up.
im 14,800# going down the road with the family and a full tank of gas. pulls no problem @ 3500RPM pulling most grades at 60mph.

I have my best friend who has a 2011 6.7 and has had a lot of issues with his auto trany and almost was hit and killed pulling out into traffic because the trans had no idea where it wanted to be. This loss of power issue with the 6.2l, could it really be the trans??

When my buddy complained, the solution was a ECU reflash and new solinoids in the tranny. Problem solved!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:42 PM
sledjunk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally, I like my truck, but I have a couple of complaints.

The complaints revolve around the brains (or lack of) in the truck. It seems that whenever I want to accelerate, the truck hesitates for a bit as if to say, "Are you sure?" Hold my foot down and almost a second later (it seems) the engine responds.

Same thing when I lift off the go pedal. There is a delay before the throttle seems to close.

It is like the truck is second guessing my decisions. Very frustrating!

I have not brought it in for the first service yet, so I will see what the dealer says at that point.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:45 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's supposed to do that, it's drive by wire at its best (or worst).

The tuner helps the responsiveness, or lack thereof. It still does it, but not near as bad as the factory tune.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:07 PM
sledjunk
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
It's supposed to do that, it's drive by wire at its best (or worst).

The tuner helps the responsiveness, or lack thereof. It still does it, but not near as bad as the factory tune.
Definitely, at its worst!!! Even my old truck was fly by wire, as are my other vehicles (07 MX-5 and wife's 08 Lancer). None of them exhibit anywhere near the lag that this does. Mind you, both of the cars are manual transmission. And the FBW would be pretty different 13 years ago.

I am leery of a tuner, primarily because of the potential warranty implications. I bought a 7 year 150000 Km extended warranty, so this is a long term concern.

I do not need a truck to race, but I would like one that lets ME be the driver. Otherwise, I could take the bus.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:08 PM
judithgap
Senior User
I have the same complaint with mine. The hesitation is very frustrating especially when trying to merge on to an interstate. There is just nothing smooth about the shifting of this truck. Do the guys with the 6.7 have the same problem?
Mine is also due for its first service soon and I hope the mechanics can do something to fix.
Really hate to gripe but I have not been pleased at all with the 2013 6.2.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Well at least others are having the same issues as me and it's not just my imagination. The worst is when slowing down to make a turn then making the turn then depress the go pedal and nothing happens for 2 or 3 seconds then suddenly a downshift to 2nd. Really scarey sometimes, especially with traffic around.

I am looking to get into a '08-'10 6.4, still doing research on this engine. I do know if I buy a 6.4 I will do a DPF delete and a few other things. I have found a few really nice F450's with low miles. I have to talk to a few local Diesel mechanics and see what they say.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Oh by the way, whatever "adjustments" the dealer made lasted 2 days and the trans is still not right.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 PM
sledjunk
Junior User
Oh by the way, whatever "adjustments" the dealer made lasted 2 days and the trans is still not right.
That sucks!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:33 AM
LCT
Junior User
There is no perfect truck. I have 5g miles on my 13' SD w/ 430. She is running ALOT smoother then when brand new. I love the 6.2 because it meets my needs perfectly as I seldom tow and when I do it will be approx. 8-10G lbs. I have become used to the throttle delay albeit my son is pushing hard for a cai. As said in other posts, she likes to hit the higher gears quickly. The 6.2 is a sweet engine and this truck, more than any other truck I owned before, loves to be fed the gasand driven hard. Overall, I am very pleased.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Dave HM
Junior User
I read all the posts thus far and am with LTC. I have a 12 model with 8K on the clock now. It has pulled the 11.5K Camper thru the smokies, then down to FL and back to IL last winter. it performed without a burp.

When towing, even out of tow haul, it winds up before shifting.

I like how it upshifts when tooling around empty. I will never get into a race. Also I noticed that if i need a burst of speed and push the go pedal down far enough it roars to life under the hood.

I drive my neighfor's hemi powered pick up in the fall and do not like the way the motor is always revving, even whebn unloaded.

After reading all the disgruntlement, I put mine in tow haul the other day and noticed that it takes longer to shift.

Maybe the folks that like a lot of engine revs should just poke it in tow haul and let her eat.

I would not want a thing changed on mine, since wishing that it did not use so much fuel would be kinda silly.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
Dualwheels66, just a thought on the diesel truck, it may pull much better than the 6.2, but each one of the diesels, whether it be the 6.0, 6.4, or the 6.7 have all had some problems, whether big or small. One of FTE's member has had a heck of a time with Ford not backing warrantee on his 6.7. They claim it had water in the fuel, though the fuel filter is supposed to trap the water and let you know that there is some with an indicator light. He had to go to the insurance route to get his massive bill paid, not by Ford. Before I read all about his problems I was all set to buy a new 6.7, but not now. There is so many things on these new rigs that just makes it a crapshoot with all the potential things that could go bad. Me, I will be looking to trade my 6.0 for a 6.2 and I'll be happy to get the 8 or 9 mpg.

Quick Reply: My 2013 6.2