6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

06 F350 6.0 Wrench indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Iolabowhunter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 06 F350 6.0 Wrench indicator?

Talked to Ford dealer shop rep. about why the wrench indicator light was coming on then after i turned off engine it wouldn't come again for 30 minutes or so. They say it could be a number of things and that i just needed to bring it in to them to check all the codes.
I am not seeing or noticeing anything out of the ordinary with the gauges, no smoke, power is good. Last trip there cost me $1500.
138,000 miles and hoping for many more, any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Gauges may help keep shop costs Down

especialy if they sell you parts you know you dont need

Go to an autopart store and get them to scan it free

See what they get for DTC But with the wrench light you may need a code rreader thats Ford enhanced

the autoparts store is def worth a shot though

Old 05-10-2013, 05:33 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wrench light will come on to indicate an over-boost situation with the turbo, or to indicate a high delta between the oil temperature and coolant temperatures. Over-boost can blow the head-gaskets, and is caused by a sooted up unison ring that controls the variable vanes inside the exhaust housing of the turbo. High oil temperature is cause by a clogged oil cooler. There might be a couple of other causes for wrench light that I forget.

Brian

Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ect/eot split or over boost condition is the concerns that cause it

Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Iolabowhunter
Junior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Gauges may help keep shop costs Down

especialy if they sell you parts you know you dont need

Go to an autopart store and get them to scan it free

See what they get for DTC But with the wrench light you may need a code rreader thats Ford enhanced

the autoparts store is def worth a shot though
Thanks, I will see what I can find out at the autoparts.

Originally Posted by MC5C
The wrench light will come on to indicate an over-boost situation with the turbo, or to indicate a high delta between the oil temperature and coolant temperatures. Over-boost can blow the head-gaskets, and is caused by a sooted up unison ring that controls the variable vanes inside the exhaust housing of the turbo. High oil temperature is cause by a clogged oil cooler. There might be a couple of other causes for wrench light that I forget.
Thanks, my gauges haven't changed their readings any that i have noticed. I have been concern about having to do the EGR, oil cooler, etc upgrades. From what I have been reading its just a matter of time.

Brian
Originally Posted by cheezit
ect/eot split or over boost condition is the concerns that cause it
ect/eot split ???over boost??? I will look it up, Thanks

Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Your stock "gauges" of zero value at showing temp delta between coolant and oil temp.

If you are serious about wanting help, you need to get an odb2 gauge to monitor your engine.

There are 3-5 active threads with this same suggestion, just look at a few if you need more info on the scangauge2, it's like nearly everybody repeats the same info about where to buy it..

Maybe a sticky thread with the info vs. Having to repeat it in every 3rd thread?
Sorry if i am out of line, its late i guess...?

Old 05-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe it's dodge owners trying to discourage all the great ford techno exchange that keeps folks loyal to Ford? I notice lots of the great folks on here speaking ip less maybe 'cause they've been posting the same info for years....

Old 05-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Iolabowhunter
Junior User
Not out of line at all, thanks for the info. I am searching other threads and the Tech folders as we sleep, oops i mean speak.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

odds of finding a scaner that will read codes that set the wrench light are slim.
drive down the hyw at 65 mph for 30 min in light traffic and see what ect and eot read. should beless then 15*.
if boost is ever above 28psi its over boost

Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Iolabowhunter
Junior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
odds of finding a scaner that will read codes that set the wrench light are slim.
drive down the hyw at 65 mph for 30 min in light traffic and see what ect and eot read. should beless then 15*.
if boost is ever above 28psi its over boost

Okay, I will get better gauges for reading the ect and eot to find the delta and the boost psi. Scangauge II ?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

yup that would work

Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 418 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Your stock "gauges" of zero value at showing temp delta between coolant and oil temp.

If you are serious about wanting help, you need to get an odb2 gauge to monitor your engine.

There are 3-5 active threads with this same suggestion, just look at a few if you need more info on the scangauge2, it's like nearly everybody repeats the same info about where to buy it..

Maybe a sticky thread with the info vs. Having to repeat it in every 3rd thread?
Sorry if i am out of line, its late i guess...?
You aren't out of line at all, and maybe a sticky on scanning and monitoring options would be great for us to points folks towards. To get the extended Ford PIDs you are going to at least need a Scangauge II, or if you have an Iphone buying the DashBoss app and it's OBDII plug-in data gateway, or if you have a Droid phone or device, the Torque Pro app and a generic OBDII plug-in bluetooth device. Or going up the expense scale there's Auto Enginuity and likely others....

Perhaps a thread on just this technology, which frankly I wish I'd known about or realized was around a couple years back would have been great. So there's no time like the present, how do we start such a thing???

Old 05-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Iolabowhunter
Junior User
Thanks, I have down loaded the DashBoss(app for Iphone) and will be getting the OBD2 cable.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
I notice lots of the great folks on here speaking ip less maybe 'cause they've been posting the same info for years....

Funney you mention this I have TONS & TONS of files in my PC that when whatever issue comes up I just COPY & PASTE to the thread

It took me awhile to get it all Organized its all broken down to Sub Systems but saves alot of time

Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Maybe it's dodge owners trying to discourage all the great ford techno exchange that keeps folks loyal to Ford? I notice lots of the great folks on here speaking ip less maybe 'cause they've been posting the same info for years....
Yes. Almost everything that could be asked, and the right answer, is posted here somewhere lol. This is an amazing resource if you think about how many people post. As a newbie here it took me a while how to work the "advanced search" but that is the key to avoiding repeating the same info. I like to post links sometimes so that the subject all links together. I have posted from the highway in at least 8 states, wedding receptions, hospital waiting rooms (and bed), airplanes, campsights, boats, and many other odd places I cant remeber and I'm sure many of our more prolific posters do the same thing.
So, many heartfelt thanks to all the frequent posters (and infrequent posters who have the right awnswer ), the Techs who work on these vehicles all day and then take time to get on here and keep us straight, and moderators who take the time to make FTE work!

Eric

Quick Reply: 06 F350 6.0 Wrench indicator?