Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Tool preference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:12 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Most of my hand tools are Snap On , some Mack and Cornwell . Craftsman that I have had since the 80's .I use to have a lot of Matco tools . But , after they dropped my area about 8 years ago , I traded most off to Snap On and Mac . Matco makes , or made , great tools . I look for quality ,warranty , and service ! That is why I buy Snap On and Mac . If I have to drive 80 miles to get something replaced , or mail it and wait a week , It Aint Worth It ! If Matco Is in your area and ain't planning on leaving , like they did my area , I would consider them . If doing it for a living like me , quality and service count .

Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
Ya know JWC as Snap On, Mac, Matco and Cornwell begin to feel the crush of losing business to online outlets they've all become far more open to dealing with us who use tools more in the professional direction.

I've ordered a few things from both Snap On and Cornwell, got free shipping and not a bit of hesitation to sell regardless who covered my home base. (I'm a 100% mobile business so don't have a regular route guy.)

I'm with you though the cost of the tool is far less significant to the company's ability and desire to support me after the sale. I've not yet been disappointed in paying top dollar for a good or best tool. I tend to lose more of them than ever break any!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
" Cost of the tool " ... I have been doing this for a bit . I learned years ago , cheep tools = loss of production . I do not get paid by the hour . I get paid by the job . Cheep tools are not good in my line of work .I look for the best I can get . I guard them well . They are my living . 9K for a Scan Tool . More thousands of $ worth of tools than I care to think about . That is why I look for support , service , And quality .If my Modis drops a key , or a link cord fails , I can count on my Snap On rep to come to me .Even on an off day I can reach him and get a replacement .

Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 AM
babs.demo.const
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of my hand tools are Snap-On. I do have a couple sets of MAC ratchet wrenches that i actually prefer over my Snap-On sets. However in my trucks i only carry cheap tools, my hands have a bad tendancy of losing things.

As far as air tools are concerned, most all of mine are Ingersoll Rand. I have had very good luck with them.

When it comes to power tools, its either Milwaukee or DeWalt. My electric tools are a combination of both, but my cordless tools are strictly DeWalt 18V, as i like the idea of having the same batteries and chargers for all of them.

Bryce

Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Be careful with the new stuff from Mac and Matco some of their stuff is Taiwan made now. Snap On's Bluepoint line has been Taiwan for years but Bluepoint is not Snap On, it is sold by Snap On. Huge difference there. I have some Taiwan tools that are decent quality(Gearwrench for example) but I would not pay a premium for them.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 PM
GypsyR
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have tools from everybody. I deal with Snap-On mostly because their truck is the one that comes by. The dealer tries hard to please and sometimes will cut a deal, Can't ask for more. The Blue Point only signifies "not made by the Snap On company". Not necessarily made in Taiwan. For instance their hydraulic flaring tool is made and also sold by Mastercool. Nice either way. The Snap-On version you can make payments on and see a guy pretty regular who can hook you up with service parts for the tool too.
I liked Mac OK. They have some stuff others don't (same as everybody). But the local guy didn't carry much inventory and instead fooled with pocket knives and stuff. When he wandered off and didn't return nobody missed him much.
We had a good Cornwell guy, bought lots of his stuff. He had an accident and we miss him. Another guy we got to expand his territory a bit to take over but he turned into a flake and then an insurance salesman.
I haven't seen a Matco guy in years. Years ago I had one that was a real wheeler dealer. He'd trade and discount all kinds of stuff. Couldn't help but deal with him.
Sears has been my one solid over the years. No matter where I was, there was a Sears somewhere where I could trade in my broken stuff. Always wished they carried more and more better stuff. Second to them I could always find a Snap-On guy somewhere. Or find out where he stopped.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 AM
NORTHERNF250
New User
Originally Posted by JWC 3
" Cost of the tool " ... I have been doing this for a bit . I learned years ago , cheep tools = loss of production . I do not get paid by the hour . I get paid by the job . Cheep tools are not good in my line of work .I look for the best I can get . I guard them well . They are my living . 9K for a Scan Tool . More thousands of $ worth of tools than I care to think about . That is why I look for support , service , And quality .If my Modis drops a key , or a link cord fails , I can count on my Snap On rep to come to me .Even on an off day I can reach him and get a replacement .
I could not agree more my Snap-on representative is alway bending over backwards for me I have his been to his house on several occasions to get replacements. He has also told me not to buy from him when he knows that I will not like the product.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by NORTHERNF250
I could not agree more my Snap-on representative is alway bending over backwards for me I have his been to his house on several occasions to get replacements. He has also told me not to buy from him when he knows that I will not like the product.
My Snap On rep is the same way , he knows what I own . Heck I have Snap On tools he has never seen ! ( they are older then he is ) . He has always done well since he took over my area .He has also told me I would not be satisfied with a tool . It also helps that he is my friends son in law !

Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 AM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Posted a few weeks ago on this thread and I have something to add...

As I said, my air tools are cheap. Alltrade and Husky. Well last Thursday I was in brakes class and a truck came in with some issues in the rear. One of the lug nuts in the rear had been threaded wrong by a previous shop and it was totally stuck. Let someone borrow my Husky impact to put on it, hammered for about 20 seconds, and it sheared the stud right in two. Made the job easy. When we were done we just pressed in a new stud.

Just an experience I had. Pretty much everyone, including me, was surprised that my cheap impact had the power to shear that stud in half. It's been pretty good for me so far.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:57 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
I don't know who makes husky air tools . But , several makers produce tools for other names . IR , CP, ect . I'm not saying they ain't good , I just don't know them . Sounds like you got a good one !

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
I don't know who makes husky air tools . But , several makers produce tools for other names . IR , CP, ect . I'm not saying they ain't good , I just don't know them . Sounds like you got a good one !
I'm not sure who makes them, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the power of this one. Really happy with it so far. Glad its doing well so far because there's no way I could afford a Snap-on one any time soon. Maybe a Matco one with my student discount (50% off!!!).

Old 10-27-2013, 09:44 PM
irishguy824
Freshman User
I am a Craftsman guy.

1. I can go into any Sears in the country and exchange a broken hand tool for a new one, free. With the guys that come around in trucks, you have to wait for them, then if they don't have it on the truck that day you have to wait until they have it. Not to mention, with me being in welding school, I won't be where I am at for much longer, so I might be somewhere the truck guys don't come around.

2. The quality is just as good with Craftsmen as it is with the truck guys, IMHO. I don't need to pay extra for the Snap-On (and other guys) name on my tool.

As for welding stuff, I plan on buying only Lincoln Electric when I can. I used to live down the road from their Global Headquarters in Cleveland, OH. I now live on the west side in Berea, and I would rather support a local company if I can. Now if I am in a pinch and can't find/afford LE, then I'll get what I can.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
[quote=irishguy824;13674534]I am a Craftsman guy.

1. I can go into any Sears in the country and exchange a broken hand tool for a new one, free. With the guys that come around in trucks, you have to wait for them, then if they don't have it on the truck that day you have to wait until they have it. Not to mention, with me being in welding school, I won't be where I am at for much longer, so I might be somewhere the truck guys don't come around.

2. The quality is just as good with Craftsmen as it is with the truck guys, IMHO. I don't need to pay extra for the Snap-On (and other guys) name on my tool.
I wholeheartedly disagree with you ! I am 50 miles from the nearest Sears store , their tools are not as good as they use to be , and the warranty program sucks ! Walk in in uniform , no warranty ! My tool truck guys come to me each week , and better quality with snap on and mac . I have ratchets from Snap On I have had for 20 years . I got a few Crapsman ratchets from family for gifts . All but 1 have been scrapped with other scrap iron . They are dangerous under load ! They fail suddenly and can cause a severe injury ! SnapOn and Mac Are much better ! Safer , Easier to warranty ! IMHO

Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 PM
slashfan7964
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
At this point, anything. But I prefer Snap on, blue point, craftsmen, sk, Williams, Mac, ingersol rand, etc.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 AM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by irishguy824
I am a Craftsman guy.

Well, there is something to be said for having something right when you need it without waiting for the truck to come around. Also, I get where you're coming from with a scenario that you may be somewhere that a truck does not come to. Harder to use that warranty if you've got to track people down.

Originally Posted by irishguy824
In some cases yes, and in some cases no. If you've got old US made craftsman tools, they're pretty darn good. Recently quality has gone down. Certain things are fine to buy Craftsman, but others I'd stay away from. For example, new Craftsman sockets are good, but the ratchets are poor quality.

SnapOn and Mac Are much better ! Safer , Easier to warranty ! IMHO
Have you bought/used any Matco tools? I'm thinking of investing in some. I've used a few, and they come pretty highly recommended.

Quick Reply: Tool preference?