6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Transmission shudder while loaded

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 PM
gopedoligist
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission shudder while loaded

hey guys, so... while im loving the fuel millage and ride of my new truck, i have my first concern. in the last few weeks i have hauled a truck bed full of dirt, and 3300 lbs of sod. both times i would use tow haul mode, and while the truck had plenty of power, it would shutter when excelerating from a stop.mostly first gear 0-15 mph. this is my truck with a fancy electronic controlled transmission, so on the old pickups this would be a torque converter slipping, but all the ford dealer wants to tell me is "its electrical and they want to reflash my transmission". i don't like this answer, as im at 26k miles and have less than 10k left on my warrenty... anyone else experienced this shutter while under load? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airbags!

It's a common problem that I suffered with both my 2006 F-350 and 2011 F-450. The heavy load on these trucks changed the driveline geometry and causes the shudder on launch.
You need a variable suspension that will compensate for unloaded/heavy load conditions and airbags are one solution.
The dealer can reflash all they want, but it's not a transmission or computer or electrical problem, it's a good old fashioned mechanical issue that some of these high-tech mechanics have lost sight of.
There is also a TSB for older trucks that involves installation of shims. The problem with the shims is that they will fix a shudder on launch problem for either unloaded or loaded conditions, but they will then cause the same problem when the other condition is encountered.
You got a better answer than I did - even if it was the wrong answer. My dealer measured the height of the rear bumper when unloaded and told me I was "within specs." DUH!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 AM
Averill7
Senior User
I second the comments above. Air bags fixed my shutter on launch when hooked to my 14k lb fiver with 2500 lbs of pin weight. The bags also fixed the sagging rear and the hooping of the rear when empty. Another option is super springs or add a leaf if you don't want mess with air bags. If you trade trucks often, go for the super springs as they are quick and easy to move.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM
gopedoligist
Elder User
Thanks alot guys! glad to get a real technical answer, i was afraid this forum was turning into a bunch of highschool girls only posting on threads about joy riding their new trucks with the sunroof open!
and wow, they actually measured your rear bumper height LOL thats bad.
guess i should look into airbags as i am planning on getting a lance 992 camper for my next toy... my friend has a dually and was able to get by with just leaf snubbers and blocks for his camper... but me being a srw, i guess i may have to go airbags.... thanks again

Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
It seems most are F250 s the F 350 has a overload spring. Ive put over 3, 500lb of gravel in my F350 truck sat level no vibration. Either add a leaf or airbag it.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:47 PM
gopedoligist
Elder User
Hdslider, i have a F350 srw. but mine is a base xlt, it has almost no options... so no camper pkg, no rear swaybar... yes it has overload springs, but thats it

Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 508 Likes on 172 Posts
Mine does it too. My dealer told me it was my trailer...... So I'm kicking all the options mentioned around myself.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by gopedoligist
Hdslider, i have a F350 srw. but mine is a base xlt, it has almost no options... so no camper pkg, no rear swaybar... yes it has overload springs, but thats it
Was your truck sagging in the rear or level?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My old fifth wheel camper had a pin weight of about 1,800 lbs and it caused this problem on both my 2006 and 2011 F350s. The toyhauler we have now has a pin weight of over 3,000 lbs so I added Firestone airbags to help with leveling and ride comfort. With the airbags setting the ride height the same as it was with the lighter trailer, I do not have this shudder anymore.

Airbags aren't all that expensive if you are capable of installing them yourself. Overall, I think they are a good investment for any truck that tows a heavy trailer. I had always thought about installing them on the 2006 but never did. Now that I have used airbags, I wish I would have done it 7 years ago!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 AM
mdmasters
New User
One other option that I had done with an F-450 with 3500 lbs pin weight was to have a larger drive shaft and carrier bearing ionstall under warranty. This also solved about 90% of the problem.

Mark

Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
I do agree bags are by far the simplest way to go.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I went with Timbren overloads and it solved the problem for me . I am not entirely happy with the ride loaded so if I did it again I would use the extra spring or air bag method. I have no shudder now at all.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:32 PM
SurryGent
New User
2012 F350 sw sb
I have a set of air bags I need to install. I would like some input as to where to locate the Pressure Gauge.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 PM
mustangary
Junior User
F-250 with lightest springs: Added air (bags) suspension

Originally Posted by gopedoligist
hey guys, so... while im loving the fuel millage and ride of my new truck, i have my first concern. in the last few weeks i have hauled a truck bed full of dirt, and 3300 lbs of sod. both times i would use tow haul mode, and while the truck had plenty of power, it would shutter when excelerating from a stop.mostly first gear 0-15 mph. this is my truck with a fancy electronic controlled transmission, so on the old pickups this would be a torque converter slipping, but all the ford dealer wants to tell me is "its electrical and they want to reflash my transmission". i don't like this answer, as im at 26k miles and have less than 10k left on my warrenty... anyone else experienced this shutter while under load? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Lightest duty spring pack available on the 2012 F-250 came with mine... bought it off the lot at end of 2012. The air (bags) suspension works great, shudder gone, truck level for any and all loads, including the 2200# pin weight on my 5th wheel (but, can easily adjust it to any reasonable load with the air suspension).

Just got back from a 1400 mile t0w back to the northern tier from Arizona, with the 5th wheel.. never a shudder, and handled great. Highly recommend air (bags) suspension for the 250 (at least the one without the overload springs, like mine... and, have a great vehicle to drive around town after unhook... only 8-10# in the air bags holds it both down and up enough to make it work really well as a daily driver "to the mall" after one unhooks the 5th wheel!).

Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 PM
fougazi
New User
I have air bags on my 2012 F-250 and mine shutters.

Quick Reply: Transmission shudder while loaded