Purchase Advice & Clarification: F100 4x4 Short bed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:26 PM
ARW
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Purchase Advice & Clarification: F100 4x4 Short bed

Hey guys,

I would love to get your insight on a potential purchase and also clarify a few things as well from the prior research that I have already done on these trucks. If you don't mind taking a few minutes, I would really appreciate your time and help.

For a little background, I am considering purchasing a Ford F100 4x4 short bed from the family of a former friend of mine who passed away a couple of years ago. To be honest, I don't know the exact year of the truck but I do believe it to be either a '75 or '76. It is a 4spd manual and a v8. I don't have a photo at this time of the truck, but the photo below is exactly what the truck looks like down to the color and the stance aside from different rims.

I remember him telling me that it is a "Highboy" and due to being naive about the correct designations of what a HB really was at the time, had always considered it as such. It was not until recently due to interest in possibly purchasing it that I began researching the designation and learned what exactly does classify a HB.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my assessments, but this particular truck would not a be classified as a Highboy because all F100 4x4 short beds in this generation, even before '77.5, had married transfer cases and must be an F250, among some other differences.

That being said now that I have learned the classifications, I am wondering if it would still be as desirable or not. The truck has not been driven in a few years and due to its good condition (ie; straight body, not hacked up, original paint in good shape, no known rust etc etc) I would like to see it get saved vs. possibly rotting away and never getting used again. Unfortunately I am not in the position to keep it so the plan would be to clean it up, go through it and then sell it over the summer. It would all depend on the purchase price, but not sure how desirable it would be to resell since it's not a true HB.

I would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions and insight. I have always thought of it as unique and because and would love the opportunity to save it, but not so sure now on its desirability and how it would resell as I cannot afford to loose money on it.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Being a Highboy does not make it worth more, it is merely a classification.

A lot of the time it all depends on the area of the country you are in as to what is hot and what is not.

A nice shortbed 4x4 F100 can bring just as much money as a Highboy.

Good luck on the sale.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:45 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It's not a highboy, but it does have a lift to clear those 35's, short boxes are somewhat desirable, what's the asking price?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
ARW
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the help guys, very gladly appreciated. The more insight, the better.

They haven't yet researched the value so no asking price from them yet. As a very ballpark general assessment, what range might you put it in for one that is in "good" condition- (straight body, not been hacked with over the years) but will be need to be gone through a bit seeing as it hasn't been on the road in a few years?

I was told however there is something broken in the ignition, but it sounds like it may be related to the switch possibly.