Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Return line delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:08 AM
whalebus2112
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return line delete

I am in the processe of gathering parts for a 2 tank wvo sytem an have 1 question about the return system.

I am going to put a 3 way valve in the return system so I can loop my wvo line but I was looking an I noticed that a return line comes from the #1 cylinder an back to the filter head also. Can I delete this?

I have read that it is to help with air intrusion problems but I am not sure. If I can delete it whats the best way? thanks

Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Don't delete it. I went thru this EXACT same procedure installing my WVO system, and capping the bleeder line and Diesel Filter head bib will result in risking overpressurizing your diesel filter head.

Here's the way I handled it.

Pull the small braided line from the diesel filter head and cap that hose. Then run a fuel hose from that bleeder bib off of the Diesel Filter head to a Tee after your second WVO selector valve (back to the diesel side of the return fuel lines.) This way your diesel fuel pump will keep the Diesel-side of your WVO system semi-pressurized (if you had a WVO issue and needed to quickly manually switch back to Diesel while on the road) and also as an added benefit, it'll help bleed out any air in your Diesel-side fuel lines, if you happen to have any.

Another solution is to install an electric diesel side fuel pump, then it turns off the pressure when you engage the first WVO fuel selector valve and WVO fuel pump. then I guess you could cap both bibs, but that's up to you. I'm a little worried about shutting down the pressure on my Diesel side, but that's up to you.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM
whalebus2112
Senior User
That makes since. I think I am going to delete the stock lift pump an add a electric pump so I can have 2 seperate system an only have to use 2 3 way valves instead of 3 if I use the stock lift pump.

I am trying to keep it simple an not have a spaggetti mess of hoses an wires every where

Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you look at the hose nipple on the ip and fillter head, you will see that there is a small hole,,orafice that meters the fuel flow in the return line, the return line fuel flow is what cools the injectors,,,IMO is not a good idea to deleat the return line...when the lift pump operates there is allways a loop of fuel returning to the tank,,the return lines remove air that makes it in the fuel pick up when tank slosh's Ect..if using a E pump..needs to pump 20 GPH min. at 4.5-7lbs to keep up with engine demads stock..and more if you use after market fillters,,that will slow the fuel flow..and high CC pump and big turbo demands,,VEG fuel systems vary and some have uniqe prpoblems to over come,,fillters ect. It just costs money...

Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
That makes since. I think I am going to delete the stock lift pump an add a electric pump so I can have 2 seperate system an only have to use 2 3 way valves instead of 3 if I use the stock lift pump.

I am trying to keep it simple an not have a spaggetti mess of hoses an wires every where

I'm not sure if I'm completely following you, but you should have separate filters, filterheads, fuel pumps, fuel lines, and tanks for your WVO and Diesel systems. In hindsight, you'll wish you had installed a spagetti mess operating correctly, instead of a "corner-cut" installation ruining your injectors, IP, rings, etc, with WVO.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 PM
whalebus2112
Senior User
It will be 2 seperate systems. The return line going to the filter is what concerns me. When I am running #2 the return will run to the tank as it should.

When I am on veg it will return to the veg supply line an go right back to the pump. I am going to have my valve in the line that goes from the stock filter head to the pump.

So how will I stop veg from coming back into the diesel or are you saying that diesel comes out of the filter head an flows down to the return lines?

If that is the case then I guess when I switch over to veg the diesel pump will be off so there will be no flow out of the head or does it return to the filter head and out the drivers side

Sorry, I am alittle slow today lol

Old 04-21-2013, 11:22 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
there isn't a return line to the diesel filter head. There is a return bleeder line from the diesel filter head than joins in with the injector return lines, as you can see in this image below:

Like in my first post, if you just pull that bleeder hose off of the diesel filter head bib, then cap that hose, then run a new bypass hose from the diesel filter head bib back to the diesel return line (use a tee) after the 2nd selector valve, you should be ok.

Something like this:

Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 PM
ozdatman
Senior User
Mmm, thats a nice diagram that will help alot with my problem.(with the truck I mean)