Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

Shop tips, tricks, and "stuff"........lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:17 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Don, who is the original manufacturer of this thing? Can't read the door on it in the photos.

Do you have a four-jaw chuck for it? Are the headstock threads a standard for which you can get one? (Of course, ANYTHING is do-able!)

That over-head custom drive sure looks unique. I'd bet someone took a lot of time to think that one through. It's now gear-driven off of that, instead of belt?

Any idea of what the slowest speed it?

Good luck with this beautiful old piece! May you be blessed to personally use it for at least thirty more years!! It landed in the right hands instead of the scrapper's, and should be making "stuff" for the next fifty years, at least!

Pop
It's a Hallidie, made in Seattle around 1930. The drive system is one of the reasons that I bought it. Most of the old belt drive lathes I've see have been converted to run with v belts. That system always puts to much stress on the headstock bearings, which results in a very sloppy head shaft. This one is driven by a chain drive with a 2" wide chain like a timing chain. This provides great torque but NO pressue on the bearings. The first thing I did when I went to look at it, was to try pry the chuck and check for bearing wear. I found NO WEAR, not even .001 of an inch!

The drive system must of taking hundreds of hours to build, and is a work of art!

We have it totally stripped now and hot tanking all the parts except for the main rails, which won't fit in my hot tank......

I don't have a 4 jaw yet........Hey Charlie!....lol

Don't know what the speed will be yet. It had an old 1400 rpm motor on it, and I replaced it with a 3 hp, 3 phase 1725 rpm motor.

Just wish I wasn't quite so busy with house remodeling right now so I can start putting it back together......

Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Well....... It's gone from this, to this.........and is in pieces all over my shop. But! We got the hot tank up, filled, and running and will start hot tanking all the parts except for the main ways. that I'll have to strip by hand.

With a little luck, and a bunch of hard work, we just might get it painted and installed in the next month!

Attached Images   
Old 08-03-2013, 01:52 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Not everybody has sawhorses like those!

Pop

Old 10-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Jester62
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff in here. I have always wanted my welder, air and 110 power on a jib.
As to building one for your ceiling, you can get rollers for uni-strut. Build a small frame (with rollers attached) to hang from the runners. Get one of those crappy (just my opinion) coil hoses, mount it to the frame and mid travel. Mount a small cord reel at one end for the 110 power (take out the lock so it will always retract.
Maybe even bolt on a piece of 1/8" thick steel to the side of the runners, mount a disk brake caliper and an ATV brake cylinder with a lock to keep it where you want.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:18 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
We aim to please! Here's a pic of the lathe after we got it done and installed...

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2013, 08:47 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

But, but, but..........

Where are the pix of that grinder?

Pop

Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Right here Marv!

The base is done and the motor mounted. All the other parts have been hot tanked and are ready for paint. Hope to have it done this week!

Attached Images      
Old 10-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Jester62
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, that lathe turned out nice!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:44 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 224 Likes on 182 Posts
Some good info on penetrants, you guys might find handy!

Penetrating Oils

Machinist's Workshop magazine recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this.

The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds

PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF*-Acetone mix......... 53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:55 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good information Pat, I will try that ATF mix out.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:01 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
You'll love it Allen! I've been using it for over 10 years, and it works better than anything I've ever used except for the stuff I get from a lineman buddy.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like it! What do you know about the shop floor? Did you pour it yourself?

Old 12-15-2013, 11:33 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

That floor was poured by the U.S. Government in the early 50's at a military base.

As the Rolls-Royce salesman answered when asked about horsepower, "Adequate".

Pop

Old 12-18-2013, 02:41 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
My newest toy is a Milwaukie M18 "High Torque 1/2" Drive, 18V Impact wrench...........450 lbs of torque........I figure that along with its shop usage, i can bring it along on camping/fishing/horse trailering trips with a couple batteries, and the right sockets in case of tire changing duties.......

Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 AM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
An update on my Milwaukie M18 Impact Wrench.......its a BEAST. I gave it a good test today, i changed out 4 tire/wheel combos on my 73 today......Jacked the truck up,one corner at a time, put a 13/16" impact socket on the wrench, and started off with one of the "compact" Li-Ion batteries.......32 snug lug nuts later, both busted loose and re-tightened, so thats 64 uses ALL on one compact battery. Im impressed

Quick Reply: Shop tips, tricks, and "stuff"........lol