6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

OEM vs aftermarket calipers/pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 PM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM vs aftermarket calipers/pads

Wanting to upgrade my brake system in the near future, so I'm just researching different brands and whatnot right now. I'm wanting to do my pads, calipers(maybe) and rotors.

I've heard great things about EBC, mainly the yellowstuff pads. Their drilled and slotted rotors are expensive, like 550 for the rear set and I've read to stay away from drilled rotors. They also don't sell calipers that I know of.

Raybestos seems to have a good rep for their slotted R300 rotors, havn't read much on their calipers.

If possible, I was thinking about doing the EBC yellowstuff pads, the Raybestos r300 slotted rotors and the Raybestos calipers. I wasn't sure if the combination of EBC pads and Raybestos calipers and rotors would work, or if even a good idea.
Also, what is y'alls opinions on OEM calipers and Raybestos or other aftermarket calipers? Which is better? Is the performance from aftermarket calipers worth the little bit of extra money?

The truck is a 2005 F250 4X4, thanks for any input.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordTruckEnthusaist
Wanting to upgrade my brake system in the near future, so I'm just researching different brands and whatnot right now. I'm wanting to do my pads, calipers(maybe) and rotors.

I've heard great things about EBC, mainly the yellowstuff pads. Their drilled and slotted rotors are expensive, like 550 for the rear set and I've read to stay away from drilled rotors. They also don't sell calipers that I know of.

Raybestos seems to have a good rep for their slotted R300 rotors, havn't read much on their calipers.

If possible, I was thinking about doing the EBC yellowstuff pads, the Raybestos r300 slotted rotors and the Raybestos calipers. I wasn't sure if the combination of EBC pads and Raybestos calipers and rotors would work, or if even a good idea.
Also, what is y'alls opinions on OEM calipers and Raybestos or other aftermarket calipers? Which is better? Is the performance from aftermarket calipers worth the little bit of extra money?

The truck is a 2005 F250 4X4, thanks for any input.
stock rotors, calipers, and hawk linings.

what determines braking power is total swept area, and compound
material used, and hydraulic pressure applied.

rotors don't do it.

calipers don't do it.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
^^^what he said.

I've used both the hawk lts and the sd pads on the front. The SD pads seem to like a little more heat in them before they grab the hardest. I still have LTS pads in the rear.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:03 AM
quadzilla500dad
New User
Look at Brakemotive.com. They are an Ebay seller. I am towing a 18k gross 4012 Cyclone and have never had an issue. I go with the upgraded tow pads and have never had a warped rotor or fade issue. On my last rotor/pad replacement i gave my front old rotors to a friend as they where as new

Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
My truck weights in at 12k every day and it also tows a 10k dump trailer.
I put on ART brake rotors and pads two years ago and could not be happier.
Applied Rotor Technology

Old 04-13-2013, 12:27 AM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fulthrotl
stock rotors, calipers, and hawk linings.

what determines braking power is total swept area, and compound
material used, and hydraulic pressure applied.

rotors don't do it.

calipers don't do it.
What are the differences between the organic, semi-metallic and ceramic brake pads? Just different material used to make them or what?

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
^^^what he said.

I've used both the hawk lts and the sd pads on the front. The SD pads seem to like a little more heat in them before they grab the hardest. I still have LTS pads in the rear.
So would it be safe to say you prefer the LTS pads?

Originally Posted by Nice Work Truck
My truck weights in at 12k every day and it also tows a 10k dump trailer.
I put on ART brake rotors and pads two years ago and could not be happier.
Applied Rotor Technology
How much did the rotors run you? Not seeing anything on pricing on the website. Also which one of their brake pads did you use?

Old 04-13-2013, 05:01 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
The 4 rotors and pads I think where about $800
I don't remember which pads I just went with the ones he said would work best for me.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

So would it be safe to say you prefer the LTS pads?
Both the LTS and SD pads work great. I would imagine the SD pads will last a bit longer.

I had a sticky caliper that shortened the life on my LTS fronts.

Can't go wrong either way.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Purchased pads and slotted rotors in 2008 from Wheeler's Off-Road and the prices are pretty stable which is amazing... The Carbon Kevlar pads have been great for my 03 which is a big improvement over OEM.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 PM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Originally Posted by quadzilla500dad
Look at Brakemotive.com. They are an Ebay seller. I am towing a 18k gross 4012 Cyclone and have never had an issue. I go with the upgraded tow pads and have never had a warped rotor or fade issue. On my last rotor/pad replacement i gave my front old rotors to a friend as they where as new
Did you upgrade rotors as well? All the listing I see for my pickup is either just rotors or rotors and pads.

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Both the LTS and SD pads work great. I would imagine the SD pads will last a bit longer.

I had a sticky caliper that shortened the life on my LTS fronts.

Can't go wrong either way.
Do you have any experience with the PC pads? Also did you purchase locally or online?

Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
I refreshed the page right after I posted this and saw that haha, I've been watching it.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:45 PM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Purchased pads and slotted rotors in 2008 from Wheeler's Off-Road and the prices are pretty stable which is amazing... The Carbon Kevlar pads have been great for my 03 which is a big improvement over OEM.
I was getting all excited to see the rotors aren't an insane price, then I saw they were 440 bucks for the front and like 425 for the rears for 2005. Why are they so much more expensive than the earlier models? Haha.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:06 AM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
The reybestos waved slots rotors are top notch. I recently go them front and rear for ~$120

I have autozne gold SD pads on motorcraft rotors. They perform just as good if not better than the OEM motorcraft pads.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I was getting all excited to see the rotors aren't an insane price, then I saw they were 440 bucks for the front and like 425 for the rears for 2005. Why are they so much more expensive than the earlier models? Haha.

I noticed that also, they are physically bigger than 2003 models. For MY 2003 the prices are still pretty much the same.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
I noticed that also, they are physically bigger than 2003 models. For MY 2003 the prices are still pretty much the same.
The 05-up brakes are bigger than the 03-04.

Quick Reply: OEM vs aftermarket calipers/pads