New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A Happy Sad Day

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 AM
martindale_j
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Happy Sad Day

This little '69 was dropped off to me for my 46th birthday. This was my grandfather's truck who purchased it new. I grew up riding in this truck as far back as I remember and joked for years with him about leaving it to me in his will. After his death in '94 my father and I did some restoration work, didn't need much even for a farm truck. My grandfather always kept his vehicles well maintained. My father drove the truck regularly until he recently passed away this past September 2012.

I had back surgery shortly after and the truck has been up in Murfreesboro, TN waiting for me to come get it. My little sister was kind enough to bring it down for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I am still not up to doing any major work on the truck yet.

I want to keep it as near original as possible and plan to drive regularly as well. It has the little 240 with the C3 transmission and I love driving it. I will probably add PB booster, but will leave the manual steering. The truck has some steering issues, so a column rebuild and changing out some front end components are top on the list. I have a front and rear sway bar kit ordered for it to tighten it up. No mods planned for the engine. I love the 240 as is. Truly runs like a little sewing machine. Cranks every time on the first turn of the key. This site has already been a wealth of knowledge and has me really motivated and excited about working on the truck. I look forward to getting to know many of you as I pick your brains from time to time.

I have a photo gallery set up already with pics of the truck if you are interested.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Well, Congats on keeping a piece of family history in your family.Sorry for your loss though! Also welcome to fte! I have my dads truck he bought new when I was a kid.Its no classic and the wong brand but I love taking my daughters to school in it because they sit where I did years ago. Just too many memories.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 AM
martindale_j
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, lots of memories. All good. When I was at Ole Miss, my friends never could understand why I looked forward to going to my grandparent's farm every other weekend. Sometimes my Dad and Mom could make it down and we would get out under these huge Mimosa trees that were in my grandparent's yard and wash and wax all the vehicles. My grandfather worked for the county and had a work truck, so this one would sometimes spend time parked in the tractor shed. It still has that permanent smell of fertilizer, gas and diesel fuel. I love just sitting in it sometimes.