1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo Bling (38R Compressor Wheel Upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 02:02 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by megawatt00
It looks to be "thicker" in the vanes. How is the weight difference between the 2 wheels?
I didn't really compare the weights before I installed the billet one and didn't have a small scale to check them with. I was doing the wheel swap before I went to work yesterday morning and didn't think of doing that. You can see a difference in the hub diameter by looking at the hex size at the threaded end. The billet wheel has less material in the middle.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
Sure did Smokie, I landed a job for the City of Winter Park near Orlando.
I cant say no to a city job.

I'm heading out to Texas Sunday morning for my last hu-rah with my artificial reef job. I'll be out there just over a week.
Hey cool beans man!! So looks like you gonna stay in Fl ! I worked for the City for 30 yrs. Good luck man steady job!!

Smokie

Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Very interested in the results on performance and sound.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Waiting for results, PSI and sound. How quick is the spool up, better then before?

Chet

Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Waiting for results, PSI and sound. How quick is the spool up, better then before?

Chet
I didn't get to swap the turbos today. Went to church and spent some time with "the misses". I will be working an early shift this week and it will be completed tomorrow evening if I don't have to work overtime. Here is a pic of the wheel installed to tie you over 'til then.
Name:  IMAG0300.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  40.2 KB

Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Thanks for the reply Roland, looks great.

Chet

Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Subscribing to hear about the noise and performance difference. Looks nice, Roland. And congrats to Frank on the new job.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Had enough time this evening after work to get the old turbo off. Cleaned turbine housing and pedestal. Reinstalled pedestal with new o-rings. I found that my old 38R was definitely leaking from the shaft seal. There was oil inside the heat shield behind the turbine wheel. You could see that the oil had originated from inside. I still want to remove the compressor housing and take a look inside there. I had some oil seepage where the backing plate met the cover also.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

How many miles on the old turbo Roland? Just curious to how long we can exspect them to last before replacement.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Smile Update: Turbo/Billet Wheel Install complete!

Originally Posted by Bonanza35
How many miles on the old turbo Roland? Just curious to how long we can exspect them to last before replacement.
I had ~ 65k miles on this turbo. I was installed new back in March '09. I feel I got a "bad" one. It started throwing oil a couple of years ago and seemed to be worse in colder weather. I did notice that the new one spun freer and had a bit more play in the the ball bearing cartridge, but not so much the wheel would come close to touching the housings. Time will tell. I'm hoping this one will be the last.

I took a test drive about an hour ago. The sound is less "pitchy" than the original wheel (have AFE Stage 2 Intake), but comes in quicker when accelerating. Being it was dark, I couldn't tell much about smoke, or how well it cleared up. Boost was a few psi higher than before at cruising speed. I live in a rural area, so I didn't do too many hard runs for fear of running into nocturnal creatures. It does feel like the acceleration is quicker due to faster spool up and mid to upper range felt stronger. I will be driving it to work it the morning and will report more findings tomorrow evening.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 AM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Just read this, congrats Roland...Getting ready for RRE?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:16 PM
itsnotanova
Posting Guru
Roland, do you still plan on attending the tech meet next month? Seeing your truck is second on my list of reasons I'm going. First is all the mods I have planned for mine.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roland: Awesome to hear that your turbo finally made it in from Clay! Killer. Between that new turbo and your custom built McTranny, I can't wait to see what your HP and Torque numbers are going to be at this years' RRE. I think you're going to easily go over the 500 and 1000 marks this year. That's where my money is.

Originally Posted by mueckster
I also fit into the "old fart" category
Hey, a little bird once told me you sometimes get the senior discount at Souper Salad, without asking for it! Wonder what that's all about?!?!? It's just because you look so distinguished.

FRANKO: Hey, depending on where you're meeting, gimme a shout. It's been awhile, and would love to see you on this last hoorah.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by joeyd61
Just read this, congrats Roland...Getting ready for RRE?
Thanks, Joey. I hope the new turbo and wheel give me the added oomph that I need.
Originally Posted by itsnotanova
Roland, do you still plan on attending the tech meet next month? Seeing your truck is second on my list of reasons I'm going. First is all the mods I have planned for mine.
I'm still planning on attending. Big Red and I will both be there this time.
Originally Posted by Tailgate77478
Roland: Awesome to hear that your turbo finally made it in from Clay! Killer. Between that new turbo and your custom built McTranny, I can't wait to see what your HP and Torque numbers are going to be at this years' RRE. I think you're going to easily go over the 500 and 1000 marks this year. That's where my money is.

Me, too! I missed out on the dyno runs last year, but I'm sure I'll see some kind of improvement this year with the better air.

Hey, a little bird once told me you sometimes get the senior discount at Souper Salad, without asking for it! Wonder what that's all about?!?!? It's just because you look so distinguished.
What can I say?
FRANKO: Hey, depending on where you're meeting, gimme a shout. It's been awhile, and would love to see you on this last hoorah.
I haven't heard from Frank yet. Hopefully, we can get a gtg soon.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
I have attached a short video of my engine at idle. If you listen closely, you can hear the "whirr" of the compressor wheel. I will try to capture more at boost levels. Today turned off cooler (ambient temp dropped about 20*) and rainy. I didn't want to skew my report with the changes in weather. I haven't had a chance to datalog anything yet, but according to my Aeroforce Interceptor, boost is rising at almost a 1:1 ratio to drive pressure. Not bad for the 1.15 turbine housing's lower backpressure. I'll need to verify this with my AE, but all is looking good so far. Egts were noticably lower at cruising speed before the cool front hit. I also will be putting it through the "tow test" in about 1-1/2 weeks.
Turbo Whirr Video by mueckster | Photobucket

Quick Reply: Turbo Bling (38R Compressor Wheel Upgrade)