6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tuner questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Jumbo131
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majkthreads
Which tunes are the best? Do pull a 37' tt and a 30' cargo trailer that's approx. 11,000+
I would be cautious in using a power setting other than stock while pulling a trailer. I want a tuner just for the ability to do the egr/def delete. I hate watching my mpg's drop in half due to "cleaning exhaust filter" message.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,163 Likes on 2,241 Posts
H&S offers a specific "tow" setting that is designed for towing only. It adds a slight HP gain (50hp deleted/40hp dpf present) that I have towed with several times now. It works great.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I ended up going with this package.

Products ------------------------------------------------------
1 x H&S Performance Mini Maxx w/o Pyro (HAS109003) = $1,399.00

1 x SPE 6.7 Powerstroke EGR Delete Kit (Spe67egrdlt) = $159.98 Finish Polished

Now the regular tunes come in it or can be downloaded to the card correct? I also have to obtain an unlock code from H&S correct?

Can I get tunes from other companies? Or are H&S ones adequate?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Get the unlock code from H&S directly here

You will need to input your VIN to get the unlock code on the H&S site. When I got my unlock code, I had to update the tunes on the card before it would upload to my minimaxx. I did that following the instructions here. Once I had the card updated, I could update and install the tunes on the MM.

You can get customer tunes from other companies, but will need to buy the MCC unlock code to install them to your MM. Most use the tunes from H&S. I know one guy that bought the hot tune from SPE and it has crazy power, but there is no real time on that tune and I'll let someone else be the beta tester...no my truck.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 AM
majkthreads
Elder User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Get the unlock code from H&S directly here

You will need to input your VIN to get the unlock code on the H&S site. When I got my unlock code, I had to update the tunes on the card before it would upload to my minimaxx. I did that following the instructions here. Once I had the card updated, I could update and install the tunes on the MM.

You can get customer tunes from other companies, but will need to buy the MCC unlock code to install them to your MM. Most use the tunes from H&S. I know one guy that bought the hot tune from SPE and it has crazy power, but there is no real time on that tune and I'll let someone else be the beta tester...no my truck.

Savage, I can't say thank you enough for your help. Tried to give you more rep but couldn't. Thank you to all you guys who posted here. I think I know what I'm doing now. Now to find a reputable place that will do the work this summer. Dealer won't touch it even though they sell tuners.

Can't wait later this year to see what it does without it.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:56 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by majkthreads
Savage, I can't say thank you enough for your help. Tried to give you more rep but couldn't. Thank you to all you guys who posted here. I think I know what I'm doing now. Now to find a reputable place that will do the work this summer. Dealer won't touch it even though they sell tuners.

Can't wait later this year to see what it does without it.

Hey thanks...I'll thank Andrew and Darren for getting me up to speed quickly when I took the plunge

Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
mav
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumbo131
I want a tuner just for the ability to do the egr/def delete. I hate watching my mpg's drop in half due to "cleaning exhaust filter" message.
^^^^ This!

Is there a package available anywhere that allows simple mods like DPF/EGR delete by just uploading a tune from a laptop via OBD cable?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Hey thanks...I'll thank Andrew and Darren for getting me up to speed quickly when I took the plunge
Double post

Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
No problem buddy
And nice work guys.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Gotsmoke12
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I have been tuned and deleted with mini max for 32000 miles and loving every minute I did the install myself which was resonably easy just be ready for the weight of the dpf. As far as towing goes I leave it in hot ( all the time) but I just set the defuel levels to H&S recs and I have had no problems. Plus the added benefit of not adding def. I love feeling the power, makes me a little giddy. Btw, I just made a 350 mile trip today and the lie-o-meter said 19mpg, which is usually about .3-.6 mpg over but not bad. Anyway I'm done rambling, thanks to all for the good info.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Originally Posted by darren32
No problem buddy
And nice work guys.
Savage and 2ndstroke are always willing to help.

That's what makes this forum so great. Not just the knowledge but so many people willing to share it with others and educate them as well.

Thank you guys. Already got the shipping notice on the tuner and egr delete.
Not sure if I want to wait. I have the 100,000 mile extended warranty from Ford. At the rate I drive it will take me another 6-7 years to hit 100,000 miles.
But my ford dealer is very nice to deal with on tuned vehicles, heck they sell them. They just won't do egr deletes.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Delete it now!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Ok one last important question I forgot to ask is this.
With the tuner can you delete the def fluid tank and such?

I thought I've read where it can be taken off. It would be great if that could be gone too.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Def can be left in place and just unhooked/disabled or removed entirely. Just remember that if you remove things from your truck to hold on to them. You will need them to restore the truck back to stock.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Congrats on the order, all you will need now is a dpf delete pipe or exhaust. The dpf, egr and def all are deleted or disabled at the same time with h&s. I just left my def tank in place.

Quick Reply: Tuner questions