Oil & Lubrication  

How Our Oil Filter Media Works (No It Doesn't Strain/Filter The Particles Out)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Seems to me what was being suggested, was that an inexpensive, poorly made, no-name filter, isn't likely to have quality components, nor have as much filter media, filter as well, nor last as long, as a better made more expensive filter by a known manufacturer, that has a reputation to up hold!!
Quite possible, but that is in no way what he said.

Some $10-$15 filters will outperform some $3 filters.
This is a true statement.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by pawpaw
.... or we have an OLIM system,
Unusual acronym. Please explain.

Pop

Old 08-10-2013, 12:07 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Intelligent Oil Life Monitor

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Unusual acronym. Please explain.

Pop
From a link in our "Tech Info" page atop this forum an explanation of Fords IOLM. Personalized Vehicle Owner Information

Old 08-10-2013, 02:25 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I see you edited your original post to correct that to "IOLM".

Thanks for the clarification.

Pop

Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now if the title of the thread could just get edited to correct the misinformation.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:35 PM
pawpaw
BUMP:

More oil filter design info from Machinery Lubrication for pondering. The Importance of Dirt-Holding Capacity in Oil Filters

Kinda looks like a filter media with a blend of cellulose & synthetic fiber, produce a water absorbing surface & depth loading media, whos synergistic sum result, is greater than the sum of the individuals!!!

Cellulose can absorb/remove & hold water & sludge, has a varying surface geomerty that has a lot of surface area, so sets up a lot of turbulence as the oil flows over & around its fibers pores, so can trap & hold larger particles & water, while the smaller diameter more uniform synthetic fiber media catch the finer particles for finer particle filtering & provide support strength over time, as the cellulose fibers weaken when it absorbs water or acids!!!! So the filtering ability/synergy of the Combination of both fiber types is overall greater than the ability of a filter media made exclusively of celluose or synthetic fibers alone!!!!

Wear particle Size isn't the Only thing our filter needs to remove!!!! Water & acid by-products/sludge, need to be removed & held onto, so the oil can last longer. By being able to hold onto the sludge, it isn't avaiable to hasten the oxidation/thickening breakdown of our oil, so our oil can last longer while doing a better job of preventing corrosion wear, as well as physical wear from large abrasive particles.

The filter needs to be able to do all this while providing/passing plenty of lubricant Volume, no matter the temperature/viscosity change of the oil (think cold high rpm starts), or when we get crazy & go WOT at throttle up!!!!

SO, our oil filter is plenty busy, Removing & Physically Holding Onto chemical & physically abrasive particlers over its specified change interval, while the filter media is having to endure a lot of changing oil pump vibration pulses/flexing the filter media during our filter change interval, without weakening/distorting, collapsing, or rupturing!!!!!

Choose your oil filter wisely!!!!

Old 01-03-2015, 01:47 PM
pawpaw
The filter mfgrs councils input on different types of filter media & how they do their thing to keep our air & fluids clean. A Look at Filter Media

Old 12-17-2018, 07:23 PM
pawpaw
Bump:
More info on how media filtration works & the different states of filtration that come to exist over time depending on whats being captured. https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ticles-capture

Old 12-25-2018, 05:22 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Late to this party and its a fascinating read----just wondering how the Motorcraft FL-820S filters compare in proper filtration and moisture absorption that's so important?

FWIW I DIY change oil in my 5.4 gas engines at no more than 4K miles driving, typically closer to 3K though. I do idle a bit more than most which is another factor why I change at those intervals.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:34 AM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Received 232 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Rovernut

I just got off the phone with an engineer at Wix and he actually laughed when I told him about the article. He stated unequivocally that the oil does, in fact, pass through the filter media for filtering as illustrated in the MANN video.

Edit: Baldwin says the same thing when I called their tech line, the oil is filtered by passing through the media.
Hard to believe that oil filter companies have to pay engineers to answer the phone, just to inform callers that oil filters actually do filter oil. Even harder to believe that someone would present a video about oil filters not filtering oil.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:39 AM
pawpaw
BUMP:

More filtering info from Machinery Lubrication that might be interesting & helpful in helping getting our minds wrapped around some of the goings on inside our filtering media. Lots to think about when filtering a liquid like engine oil, in differing temps, stop & go flow, different oil & filtering medium & what happens to particles that settle out after engine shut down, or what happens to particles captured during a drive cycle under varying flow conditions & temps by different media materials. https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ticles-capture

Old 08-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
With all of the filters on the market..... Any scientific info as to which really work more efficiently and which fail?

Old 08-05-2019, 05:45 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty150
With all of the filters on the market..... Any scientific info as to which really work more efficiently and which fail?
Are you asking which filter is the best?

If so, then you will need to specify what you mean. "Efficient" at what?

Old 08-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
There probably isn't a way to determine "the best". My untrained, uninformed opinion would be that higher flow rate would offer less filtration, better filtration would decrease the flow rate, some will trap and hold more impurities depending on filtration media and amount of material......then there has to be differences in canister burst strength, failures in the little springs, clogs, tears, valves failing....... with all of this testing.....there should be more data than opinion. But I see a lot of opinions.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:36 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty150
There probably isn't a way to determine "the best". My untrained, uninformed opinion would be that higher flow rate would offer less filtration, better filtration would decrease the flow rate, some will trap and hold more impurities depending on filtration media and amount of material......then there has to be differences in canister burst strength, failures in the little springs, clogs, tears, valves failing....... with all of this testing.....there should be more data than opinion. But I see a lot of opinions.
Yes. There are always trade-offs. Do you want fast acceleration or high MPGs? Soft ride or good handling? Everything is a compromise.

Personally, the "best" filter for me is a filter that protects my engine well enough to get me to 150,000-200,000 miles and costs the least.

I know that some do care, but getting my engine to last 300,000 miles is not anything that I am concerned about or willing to pay for.

Quick Reply: How Our Oil Filter Media Works (No It Doesn't Strain/Filter The Particles Out)