Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust install, my pointers and experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust install, my pointers and experience

Well, I FINALLY was able to spring for a full exhuast system, I went with the Magnaflow stainless system from Clay here:

Riffraff Diesel: Magnaflow 4" Turbo Back Pro Series SS Exhaust System

There's no need for a writeup, it's been done before. But I wanted to just give a couple of tidbits of info.

1) I did the entire install by myself. It took me about 3 hours, could've probably been cut by an hour if I had a second set of hands. Getting the dowpipe lined up was the most challenging part to do by myself. I ended up using 2 bungee straps and a jackstand to help hold it in place.

2) The instructions for this particular kit were incorrect for my truck. I have a Crewcab Shortbed. The instructions said to use an 18" section, but I had to actually use a 34" section in it's place. I'm not sure how they got that wrong.

3) I spent more time trying to pull the stock exhaust out in just a couple of pieces than I should have. I ended up just cutting it all up into smaller pieces with the sawzall.

4) WD40 helps the hangers slide into and off of the rubber mounts.

I only had time to do a short test drive, but I am really pleased. The best way I can describe it is that the truck sounds so much more refined. You can barely hear the exhaust at idle. At WOT, it is throaty and deep, but not loud and obnoxious. Keep in mind that I am coming from a straight-piped stock exhaust, so the change is significant. For now, I am running without a tip to see how I like it. It looks pretty good, so I will probably save the money. I didn't really need stainless being that I'm in the SE, but I really wanted Magnaflow because everyone said it would be the quietest - and I really think I made a wise decision. Maybe tomorrow I will try to get a video or something of how it sounds and post up one of my older videos with the muffler delete for comparison's sake. Inside the cab you can barely hear the exhaust, even with the windows down. That'll keep momma happy

Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 4" cooled my egts and sounds great, i think you well love it.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I just put mine on this week as well. I went from 5" back down to 4" due to the 5" banging around from low clearances. I used Diamond Eye, but the wife said she likes the way it sounds. That is all that matters in the end. Install wasn't too bad. I got lucky and lined up and clamped the down pipe by myself on the first try without using a jack stand. Lots of adjustments from front to back before tightening anything down!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:04 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Eventually, I will go this same route too Robert, as I am growing tired of how loud my straight piped truck is in the cab. Thanks for the tips.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Nicmike
I just put mine on this week as well. I went from 5" back down to 4" due to the 5" banging around from low clearances. I used Diamond Eye, but the wife said she likes the way it sounds. That is all that matters in the end. Install wasn't too bad. I got lucky and lined up and clamped the down pipe by myself on the first try without using a jack stand. Lots of adjustments from front to back before tightening anything down!!!
After this install, I don't know how there's enough room for a 5" system in there.

Originally Posted by HKusp
Eventually, I will go this same route too Robert, as I am growing tired of how loud my straight piped truck is in the cab. Thanks for the tips.
Good to hear from you Jason. Yeah, the straight pipe sound got old over time. I'm really impressed with how quiet this system is. Maybe too quiet for those who like to be louder than stock. I'll see if I can get the wife to drive it while I shoot a video from the outside or something this weekend.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Rob, considering what you bought and what you removed, the muffler on the new system, is whats making it quieter? A friend of mine is run'n the banks' 4in T/B, muffler, and thats quiet too, compared to my stock muffler delete. Both our trucks are non-cat.

btw, grat job on install..

Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Rob, considering what you bought and what you removed, the muffler on the new system, is whats making it quieter? A friend of mine is run'n the banks' 4in T/B, muffler, and thats quiet too, compared to my stock muffler delete. Both our trucks are non-cat.

btw, grat job on install..
Thanks, and yeah, no doubt the muffler is what makes all the difference. But, I think this Magnaflow system is quieter even than many other 4" systems. I know lots of guys whose trucks I've heard at RRE run the MBRP system, and from what I can tell so far, mine is quite a bit quieter than their's.

I also want to add that I ordered the system from Clay late Saturday night and it was delivered on Wednesday. That's some pretty fast shipping, especially considering that it was free.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert6401
Thanks, and yeah, no doubt the muffler is what makes all the difference. But, I think this Magnaflow system is quieter even than many other 4" systems. I know lots of guys whose trucks I've heard at RRE run the MBRP system, and from what I can tell so far, mine is quite a bit quieter than their's.

I also want to add that I ordered the system from Clay late Saturday night and it was delivered on Wednesday. That's some pretty fast shipping, especially considering that it was free.
Awsome. Only thing i can compare to ,is my buddy's truck..

not to get OT, but Clays' bada$$. I brainfarted on measureing the cac boots, and ended up ordring wrong ones. We emailed a few times, threw a dagger or two in humer fashion..ie, "heat may getthem to expand onto ic, and if so, you wont have to worry about them popping off"..haha. Anyhow, tried the boiling water method, with no prevail. Contacted him, he said, to send them back for correct size....big

Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 PM
auden
Junior User
Can you provide part number or name of muffler model for those of us that just want to add a muffler. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
The Walker Big Truck Muffler (BTM) is a GOOD one. There are many others...you just find the brand you want and select the one for your exhaust size. MBRP has it's loyal following as does Magnaflow. I've run a BTM personally, and they are nice and quiet.