Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Mileage Tranny Flush - Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
bcboy4ca
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
High Mileage Tranny Flush - Yay or Nay

I recently purchased a 93 F150 5.0L with the E4OD tranny. The truck drives fine but the tranny seems to have fairly firm shifts. The truck has about 190,000 miles on it. I have only put on a few hundred of those miles on myself & I don't really know the maintenance history of the vehicle, for all I know the motor/trans could be stock or have been replaced. I have checked for codes and the truck comes up clean everytime. Also the fluid is still bright red and doesn't smell burnt.

I phoned a place about getting a tranny flush done. I was told by them that it may not be a good idea on a high mileage vehicle, they also don't do pan/filter service, flush only.

Should I get the tranny flushed or would I be better off dropping my pan, replacing the gasket and filter and just topping it back up with some fresh fluid?

My original plan was to use some of the Seafoam Trans Tune, drive around a bit then go and have the filter changed + complete flush but now I am unsure of what to do, so I am asking the experts for their opinions

Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
That part about not changing the fluid in a high mileage transmission is an old BS tale. I wouldn't do a flush, I would drop the pan and change the filter and drain the fluid from the torque converter at the same time.

Where you have a drain plug on the torque converter you don't need to do a flush or fluid exchange or whatever they want to call it. It is very important to drop the pan and wash any crud and small metal chips out that may be in the bottom of the pan. Just my opinion.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 PM
kegomatix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion a flush wouldn't be a good idea. All the crud that builds up on the magnet will likely get broken up and ran back into the system.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:26 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't flush it, the shops like to use snake oils when servicing transmissions. Ask that shop how they do it, they'll probably tell you they use Wynn's brand chemicals.

Just do a straight drain and refill (don't forget the torque converter if it has a drain plug), and change the filter. I changed the oil in an old, high mileage transmission once... didn't hurt it one bit. Actually shifted better too... no surprise there

Old 03-18-2013, 03:28 PM
bcboy4ca
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys, I will get a filter/gasket kit and change the fluid.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by bcboy4ca
Thanks guys, I will get a filter/gasket kit and change the fluid.
You may have a re usable gasket on that transmission. If you don't have another vehicle to go get a gasket after you tear it down, you would want to get a gasket anyway.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 PM
dallasdave
Freshman User
I used some lucas trans treatment on mine and it shifts smooth but that could just be the new fluid and filter.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 PM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
You should do a full flush and change the filter yourself. It's very easy and will save you $$$. You can pump the old fluid out of the return line into a plastic pan (similar to this Sterilite® 28 Quart Basic Clear Storage Boxes with White Lid | U.S. Plastic Corp.) using 3/8" clear tubing. Then drop the pan, change the filter, clean the pan, install and torque to spec. Have the filter, gasket if needed, and the amount of fluid required for your trans + 2 quarts on hand. You wouldn't change only 2 of 5 quarts of engine oil, would you?

And since you don't know the vehicle history, it's a good idea to change all of your fluids.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
His truck does NOT have a reusable gasket. I would recommend installing either a drain plug into his current pan, or buying a new pan from Ford that has one. Its a little expensive, but the next time you go to do this job, it will be MUCH easier.

Here is the part number for the pan: F81Z-7A194-BA
And the reusable gasket: F6TZ-7A191-A

They add up to about $90, but I recommend them if you can afford them.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:50 AM
jumbofordman
Senior User
Originally Posted by dixie460
I changed the oil in an old, high mileage transmission once... didn't hurt it one bit. Actually shifted better too... no surprise there
It depends on what the fluid looks like. Nice and red, you'll probably be OK. Dark brown, better start saving for a tranny replacement. I wouldn't recommend a fluid change, either, because your tranny is already dead, it just doesn't know it.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:12 AM
2003EXPY
Senior User
And use MerconV fluid!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan_P
His truck does NOT have a reusable gasket. I would recommend installing either a drain plug into his current pan, or buying a new pan from Ford that has one. Its a little expensive, but the next time you go to do this job, it will be MUCH easier.

Here is the part number for the pan: F81Z-7A194-BA
And the reusable gasket: F6TZ-7A191-A

They add up to about $90, but I recommend them if you can afford them.
This.

I honestly have no earthly idea why these didn't come with drainplugs faster

But I highly suggest installing one while your pan is down and getting cleaned thoroughly.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,183 Likes on 2,219 Posts
Originally Posted by lv2race
You should do a full flush and change the filter yourself. It's very easy and will save you $$$. You can pump the old fluid out of the return line into a plastic pan (similar to this Sterilite® 28 Quart Basic Clear Storage Boxes with White Lid | U.S. Plastic Corp.) using 3/8" clear tubing. Then drop the pan, change the filter, clean the pan, install and torque to spec. Have the filter, gasket if needed, and the amount of fluid required for your trans + 2 quarts on hand. You wouldn't change only 2 of 5 quarts of engine oil, would you?

And since you don't know the vehicle history, it's a good idea to change all of your fluids.

this is not a trans fluid flush, it is a fluid change.
when they flush the trans they add chemicals to "clean" it. all that does is destroy the trans.

but your way is the way i do it

Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 207 Likes on 167 Posts
Just drop the pan, change the filter, drain the convertor, and clean the magnet. Forget the flush.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 PM
lv2race
Laughing Gas
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
this is not a trans fluid flush, it is a fluid change.
when they flush the trans they add chemicals to "clean" it. all that does is destroy the trans.

but your way is the way i do it
What you are referring to is a chemical flush using a special transmission flush fluid. I was talking about a gentle flush, out with the old and in with the new, utilizing the transmission pump to "flush" the old fluid out of, and new fluid back into the system as you and I do it.

A fluid change is widely known as dropping the pan, draining the 4-5 quarts in the pan along with a filter replacement, then replacing only what was removed leaving a majority of the old fluid in the transmission and in my opinion an incomplete job.

Most people on this thread are saying not to flush the trans, shops use snake oil, or change the filter and a few quarts. Whats the point of adding 4-5 quarts of clean transmission fluid to 10 quarts of old fluid? I would never power flush my trans at a shop as I can do it myself for $85 worth of fluid and an hour or two of my time. It takes longer to set up for the job then it takes to flush and fill a trans.

Quick Reply: High Mileage Tranny Flush - Yay or Nay